Friday, April 4, 2008

Mud, Most Marvelous Mud.

Anticipating a Weekend Full of the Finer Things in Life. Family, Friends, Food, Fellowship and Fun on the Farm.



Mud, Marvelous Mud.

Who would have ever thought it possible but my soul has delighted this week in, of all things.... MUD. My chicklets are so excited by the thawing, soft soil and beg to run out at the first opportunity, before teeth are brushed, before classes are done, before chores are complete. They can't get enough MUD. Even The Rugrat will stand by the door hauling on the sleeve of his coat hanging low on it's little chicklet peg and wail "side, side, side...".

After months of only intermittent half hour trysts out in the snowbanks and generally bitingly cold prairie winter days, I will continue to rejoice in mud and all the fun it allows (mud soup, mud tea, mud castles, muddy faces and fingers and oh those clothes fit for a tide commercial) until it dries and gives way to the new life of spring. I hauled one of my wicker loveseats out of the storage shed and set it on the south west corner of the house and have been reading to the kids the past two afternoons as they muck around with their buckets and bowls and while there are no ladybugs or crickets or frogs to delight us yet, we are revelling in the fresh new sound of the spring breeze in the tree tops and the birds joyous chorus that has been silenced for so long.

Enjoy your share of mud and ooey, gooey spring madness today!





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got to thinking about your comment at my post today, and I thought, well, it's not that I mind mud so much...it's the cold I could do without. Summer mud--absolutely no problem. Warm spring mud--bring it on. But this icky cold that blows against us makes it difficult for me (not the kids--they don't mind cold or mud).

I'm a fair-weathered environmentally minded girl.

Take me to Florida.

Which, in fact, I'm doing. We're packing to go. This may be one of my last notes before climbing in the car!

I didn't want to make a big deal about it until I get there and can start taking some pictures and write about it. You're the first to know. :)

Unknown said...

Ah, the irony. It's snowing today and the ground is frozen solid.... sigh. (I composed my ode to mud entry yesterday...)

Anonymous said...

Well at least the mud was fun while it lasted! Great pictures and oh I remember just how much I loved mud as a child! I really should let mine play in it more often! Great post! Great idea for fun outide even if it is dirty!
Joy(TN)

Chris said...

Ah yes... such a swing in temperatures... unbelievable... I wimped out and drove to the library instead of the warmly anticipated walk. I love the boot line up... can I drop off a bag of bread starter for you at the church??

Christin said...

You're so right. Our youngest would look cute together. :)

But I have to say, I cannot tell my Littles about you. Just yet. Because you would be the "fun mom" and I would be dubbed the uncool one. Because i cannot bring myself to call mud "marvelous". *wink*

Gina said...

We've been having a lot of fun in the mud around our place too. How does one keep a child's fingernails clean with mud-packed pedicures several times a day? Seems I've seen the end of pink/white fingernails!

Mud...it's the new black.

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

I don't like mud and I can't remember any time my kids liked it either?
Bring on the water they are all ready for the guadalupe to warm up!
I'm for whatever brings a smile on their faces and joy in their hearts!

((Hugs))

Dawn :0)