Okay, so the chores are done. The Rugrat is still napping, and I have a few minutes on my hands to present a discussion topic. I've felt my blog has been weighing in on the superficial side this past week so I need to provide some depth for balance ;-).
Media as Entertainment.
I have struggled with this question on and off for YEARS. The main passage that comes to mind when I strive to judge what I allow as entertainment is; Psalm 101:2-3 (NIV): ‘I will walk in my house with blameless heart. I will set before my eyes no vile thing.’
It seems so straightforward. And the New Testament gives me multiple lists of vile things so that I have no excuse. And yet, still I waiver. Okay, maybe not as much as some. I am actually quite anti-television, especially anti-public-broadcasting television. I have one show I follow (Lost) and other than that I pretty much only watch library videos (movies or documentaries) that I have reserved online because they correspond with what we are studying in school. But still.... even in this case, many times with the movies, I waiver.
No unwholesome thing. I know this would apply to literature too, but I am so up to my eyeballs in literature pertaining to education that I don't even have TIME to get in trouble in that department anymore. So for me this topic stems from television, but for others it could pertain equally to literature. Now, here's where I find myself.
I can draw a CLEAR line in the sand when it comes to shows where the basic premise is crime/murder/adultery... I see a lot of unwholesome garbage there that is not benefiting my mind or spirit in any way except fast paced, colorful, worldly self indulgence. For that reason shows like CSI, Law and Order and Gray's Anatomy are clearly out of boundaries for me and my conscience. I struggled off and on with ER as it "hooked me" early on with the actual hospital and patient story lines and then with all the sexual garbage and immoral messages that became part of it over time I knew it was not a wholesome thing to be watching. I've since given that up too, helps that bible study falls on that night and while I *might* have been caught watching it if I were home, it's not something I am going to tape....
Okay, maybe y'all think I'm a "neo-puritan" as Tim Challies refers to it in this article from a few years back. I feel like one sometimes when I hear my friends discussing these shows, or listing them as "favourites", but the truth is, I feel I fall somewhere in the middle. I mean, I'm not one of those uber conservative types who turn the tv off at the second hint of a vulgar word. I struggle to draw the boundary line when the content of a movie is "unwholesome" but in a clean, educational and thought provoking way that can cause you to examine deep questions and strive to cement your convictions and stand up for them. Not sure if you follow. Prime example, The Patriot. War, gore, horrible atrocities... and yet we watched this as a family while studying the American Revolution this past year and had DEEP discussions. Horrified? Most people would be, not so much that Prairie Guy and I watched it probably, but that we watched it with our kids.... well, we tend to be very transparent and raw with them whenever we broach a subject in education. They *read* about the revolution, they heard me *describe* the atrocities of the revolution, and they got a first hand *look* at the atrocities in the Patriot.
That raises questions for me that I can't figure out answers for. Why am I okay with watching (and letting my kids watch) historical type war stuff, but not okay with contemporary murder stuff? One is no better than the other... the only answer I can come up with is that one is educational and "helpful" in a fashion (to understand society and history) while the other is just pumped up, jumped up, hyped up entertainment, the more shock value the better and littered with so much immoral and perverted sexual content. Sexual perversity, immorality and violence as entertainment are the two biggest measuring sticks for me in what I for sure don't want to set before my eyes. Language is another, but even there, I have my idiosyncrasies. I'm a bit of a red-neck, so words like where the devil lives, anything relating to manure, the opposite of blessing and stuff like that don't make me jump out of my skin. But on the other hand anything to do with the Lord's name squeezes the blood right out of my heart and words that tear down people, and of course the bomb words... well, that's another story.
Oh man, I'm rambling on and on. I often feel alone in my struggle to seek faithfulness in this area. It almost seems that other people don't really feel pricked in their conscience on this (and I'm not saying they should). I guess I just want to know what other people think about this? I don't necessarily think it's a SIN to watch the shows I mentioned, I think it's one of those Romans 15 things that needs to be considered according to conscience and may be sin for one person while not being sin for another. If it doesn't induce you to sin, or indulge the flesh, then it shouldn't be sinful in and of itself right? But then, I get disgusted, not induced and yet I still feel convicted not to watch, mostly because of this passage;
All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything (1 Corinthians 6:12). So I am not just judging whether something is *sinful* but whether it is *beneficial*.... I liked this simple and straightforward boundary list.
Phew. That got long. If anyone managed to read to the bottom of this, I want to know what *you* think. Is this something you have thought about? Is this something you have set boundaries on? Is this something you struggle with or have found peace with? I'd love to hear other's thoughts.
21 comments:
One thing I think of is if Jesus would be pleased to see me viewing the show in question. If I would be embarrassed for Him to watch it with me, I shouldn't be watching it. I also think about what the characters are trying to convey. I think the only show we watch is extreme home makeover and we did watch some of Oprah's Big give. Though I don't approve of what Oprah is saying lately, I won't be supporting her with my time or commercial watching. I guess I enjoyed the shows where people are in need and then get some help.
Just curious, why no public broadcasting?
Before being saved, I used to sware. Then, after reading Eph 4:29: Let no unwholesome words ever pass your lips, but let all your words be good for benefiting others according to the need of the moment, so that they may be a means of blessing to the hearers.
I don't have a problem with swaring anymore, God took that out of my life, but not all of my words are edifying. I think if I would shut my mouth more, I would have less to confess before God.
TV was really bothering me lately, and it wasn't so much what I was watching, as it was that I was using it as an escape mechanism. I think I was being affected by it too, even just watching the ads, and hearing people using sexual comments all the time. I decided to do a TV fast until the end of August (I shouldn't really be inside watching TV during summer anyway) and I'm thinking that by that time, I won't want to turn it on again anyway.
It wasn't just the presence of the TV that was bothering me, but the fact that I was missing time with God. The hour I was watching TV was all worldly, and then I'd go to bed. I just needed to hear Him more, and if I put myself in a situation where I can't hide from my issues by just flicking on the TV, I think I'll get farther in my prayer life.
Hope that doesn't sound prideful. Just been floundering lately, and needing His stability.
I'm a newbie believer, and this has been a really big year for me :) Before about June or July last year, I was watching many, many hours of TV - commercial, everything. All the major 'big' shows of the time - Desperate Housewives (now there's a moral show...obviously not!), Lost, every single medical drama known to man. I was also watching a half-hour nightly Australian drama AND Big Brother, which was on at the same time, so I would tape the drama to watch on Friday nights in one big hit. I easily watched, or taped, EIGHTEEN HOURS of television a week. It was insane. If I couldn't catch up for some reason, the tapes would back up and I'd have to do a mammoth session on the couch all weekend, barely moving from it (major, major mistake). It got really crazy but I wasn't about to give up 'my' favourite shows!
Then something happened (this was about the same time I started reading the Bible, LOL) and I just didn't care anymore. I cut my TV by three quarters and I stopped taping things I knew I was going to miss. I still struggle sometimes with the shows that I do watch - Lost is a favourite still :) and I'm still partial to the medical dramas - but I'm also getting the chance to revisit some of the things I used to love as a teenager - the Jane Austen-y type adaptations, BBC miniseries etc. I just watched Miss Potter last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. It actually *is* entirely possible for an adult to enjoy a movie with a G rating! Who would have thought? LOL.
Really interesting post!
Cheers,
Lizzie
www.lizzieshome.com
I have really strong convictions on TV.(and these are only my convictions not saying TV is a SIN)I really feel that the devil rules when it comes to television. More and more we find tv shows are becoming focused on alternate lifestyles,sexual perversion, and just down right sinful actions. I believe many of us sit down watchs these shows and just become "comfortable" with things taking place on tv because it is just tv. For example a long time ago (I am ashamed to say) I was a big fan of Wil and Grace. As I started studying the bible more I became convicted about that particluar tv show. Doesn't the bible say that it is wrong for a man to love a man or a woman to love a woman(sexually)? I had just gotten "comfortable" with it and thought it was funny when it is very biblically wrong. I think we just get in comfortable with sins, which is what the world wants us to do. I do not allow my children to watch just any tv. My dh and I have to be present or it has to be something we have viewed before them. We don't subscibe to cable anymore. I find when we don't have "tv" at our disposal we are a much better family in general. We actually sit and talk to one another play games, work outside all things that bring us closer to one another instead of being stuck in front of a cube that is trying to teach us to just be comfortable with sin. Anyways that is my take on tv.
I do want to say that today being Thankful Thursday I have to give God the Glory for my daughter having a negative Cystic Fibrosis test today. PRAISE THE LORD!! (she is 14 months old) We are still searching for what is causing her persistant cough and sickness but praise God it isn't cystic fibrosis.
your sister in Christ,
Joy(TN)
This is something that I've been thinking a lot about for the past year. I'm still not sure where I stand: my fiancee got me sucked into Lost, I've found myself watching Conan O'Brien's monologue lately, and I enjoy both Project Runway and Beauty and the Geek.
I'm trying to cut back, but it's difficult; it's so easy to just sit back and let your brain shut down! And having a high speed internet connection that can take you to YouTube has not helped whatsoever!
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one wrestling with this; this post hasn't figured out where I stand for me, but it does bring Philippians 4:8 to mind: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."
Quite the standard.
Thanks for provoking some thought in this boob-tubed brain of mine. :)
You know, it's just so refreshing to me to hear another Christian actually take time to think through these things and talk it out and form convictions based on a love relationship with God. So many times I feel alone too when I hear others talking about a miriad of subjects- what they watch, where they went, what they ate...etc.
The thing for me is, I don't even have to struggle with whether I should or shouldn't watch something because all I want when I have "free" time is to just get away with my Jesus and listen for His voice and pray and sing. Those times of quiet worship as a homemaker and mom are times I feel I have to steal away to get and so the thought of plopping down for a show, even when I do at times, just doesn't satisfy and often times makes me long for my Lord more.
I was a at a worship service once where the pastor talked about moving away from all the fences in our lives, seeing how close we can get to the boundaries with our shoulds and shouldn'ts and can'ts and turning to the well of Living water instead. If we're drinking at the well we won't be concerned with the boundaries so much.
I think that's a good way to go through life, at the well of Living water rather than testing to see if something squeezes in the boundaries.
Anyway, sorry for the long comment. But thanks for this post it was encouraging and refreshing!
Keep pressing on in your faith in Jesus!
Sheila
Jennifer wrote:
>>One thing I think of is if Jesus would be pleased to see me viewing the show in question. If I would be embarrassed for Him to watch it with me, I shouldn't be watching it. I also think about what the characters are trying to convey.<<
Love this. Thank you!
>>Just curious, why no public broadcasting?<< Cause we have two channels and they are pretty sad and because I HATE advertising with a passion (not only for the commercialism it breeds, but for the TIME it takes up). If there is anything on public broadcasting we want to watch we tape it and FF the commercials.
anonymous wrote:
>>I decided to do a TV fast until the end of August (I shouldn't really be inside watching TV during summer anyway) and I'm thinking that by that time, I won't want to turn it on again anyway.<<
I always LOVE those seasons when the TV is just there but doesn't get turned on. Fasting is such a good word for it because you feel cleansed and invigorated. I want to find a healthy balance as the TV is a great medium for enriching our studies, and I really enjoy sitting down with dh for a Lost date when it's on...
>>Hope that doesn't sound prideful. Just been floundering lately, and needing His stability.<<
Not at all. It's so great that you recognize this and are fasting with a purpose!
Lizzie said;
>>Then something happened (this was about the same time I started reading the Bible, LOL) and I just didn't care anymore. I cut my TV by three quarters and I stopped taping things I knew I was going to miss.<<
I love stories like this. When the chains fall off by the grace of God. So excited for you, thanks so much for sharing your story. I also love the classics and *some* of the BBC historical drama mini-series ;-)
Joy said;
>>I have really strong convictions on TV.(and these are only my convictions not saying TV is a SIN)I really feel that the devil rules when it comes to television. More and more we find tv shows are becoming focused on alternate lifestyles,sexual perversion, and just down right sinful actions. I believe many of us sit down watchs these shows and just become "comfortable" with things taking place on tv because it is just tv.<<
I totally agree. Or even if we are not exactly *comfortable* with it, we still somehow get acclimatized and subtly conditioned to it. When I hear christians talking about the main romance from Gray's like they WANT the two to get together I'm bewildered. Rooting for success in an adulterous relationship? I tried watching a few times to see if I was mis-judging but it just further cemented my convictions because yeah, it made me sympathize with him somehow, it was twisted. (even though I must admit the non-sexual storylines intrigued me and could easily suck me in).
>>I find when we don't have "tv" at our disposal we are a much better family in general. We actually sit and talk to one another play games, work outside all things that bring us closer to one another instead of being stuck in front of a cube that is trying to teach us to just be comfortable with sin. Anyways that is my take on tv.<<
Thanks so much for sharing, I totally agree. And Praise God about your daughter, that is WONDERFUL news!!
Michelle wrote;
>>it does bring Philippians 4:8 to mind: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."
Quite the standard.<<
You're right, that is a great and relevant verse for this topic.
>>Thanks for provoking some thought in this boob-tubed brain of mine. :)<<
Thank YOU for sharing!
Sheila wrote:
>>I was a at a worship service once where the pastor talked about moving away from all the fences in our lives, seeing how close we can get to the boundaries with our shoulds and shouldn'ts and can'ts and turning to the well of Living water instead. If we're drinking at the well we won't be concerned with the boundaries so much.<<
this is very thought provoking Sheila. It's late and I need to get to bed, and I have a busy schedule the next few days so I wanted to quickly respond and not just *disappear* after posting a discussion topic, but I will be pondering all of this in the next few days and I am so grateful for the blessing of discussions like this. Thank you!
TV? What's that, and who needs it with the puters these dayz! :D
We don't have cable/or any type of TV connections.
This allows us to control what's being played in the vhs/dvd.
Many times I ask (when I'm surrendered to His will..)
What is good and what would our family enjoy viewing together with YOU? He supplies and all is well.
When I don't surrender in this area, my dh and I usaully look at each other and say
"what are we doing? :0/"
I'm realizing the best part of having a relationship with Christ is learning who HE is and what it's like to "hang out" with HIM.
Like any relationship you will "fine tune" with time.
Our DHF didn't say "get it right or else" and I'm so thankful for this!
The fact that we are to train our childern to listen to directions, tells me that HE also will teach us in the same way and work with me from right where I am!
Praise the Lord for Good Bible(blog) studies like these!
Thank you Sister's!
Dawn :0)
GRACE: Unmerited favor, unearned benefit, undeserved kindness. God's amazing gift of forgiveness of sins and power to live with dignity in the present and with hope for the future!
For me and my family, we probably tend to go the way that you say you and your family go. We do have a TV but we rarely watch it, oftentimes at night after the kids go to bed we just don't even turn it on because we are savoring the quiet. We will either talk or read. We usually read some type of Christian book, recently read, In His Steps, and I do love Christian fiction, but I limit myself on how much I read, because I can really get hooked on a good book.
There is really nothing on that we like to watch, we have no shows that we tune into regularly, because we feel they are all unwholesome and have evil undertones, and I do not want that in my mind. The verse that comes to my mind that helps me decide what to read, watch, or listen to is from Phil. 4:8 "Fianlly brethen, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything praiseworthy, let your mind dwell on these things."
I guess for me, I realize that what I "put in" really effects what "comes out", and I want it to be Jesus that comes out and not this world.
Those are my thoughts, sorry it is so long...
Two years ago I resolved to only turn on the tv when I have a program I plan to watch. I find it keeps me from getting stuck with it on. I struggle a bit with the moral issues of it all, more so in the past. Mostly though, I realise how crummy it can make me feel. I am an emotional person and find the crime shows (overly hollywoodized hype) and such just to hard on my heart and make my mind go to low sorrowful places. The joy of the Lord is my strength so if I am not feeling that at all I feel it best to shut the tv off. It is always a good practice to stop think about how we use our time (it is so quickly gone) and how we exersise our freedom in Christ.
Dawn, I love the balance you have. I always struggle with figuring out how to balance the desire to be faithful and zealous for righteousness without landing myself in the seat of the pharisees. To desire righteousness for no other reason than because He is righteous, and I want to reflect Him, but at the same time to exercise grace (with myself and others) because He is gracious, and merciful.
Tricia, thanks for sharing. I want it to be Jesus that comes out too.... interesting how when you are seeped in the Word and christian teachings you can't help but bubble about it? Much rather talk about that than the last episode of "such and such". (I'm terrible for that, after watching Lost I'm just "wow, did you see that?? what do you think??" to anyone else who watches it. Blah. It's a television show for crying out loud, has nothing to do with real life or What Really Matters!
Hey Becky... we also used to have a general house rule that the tv didn't get turned on unless we had a specific program we have agreed to watch before hand. Then we took that one step further and started RECORDING the program we agreed to watch, because we also wanted to curb the time spent in front of the tube.
An hour program is really only 40 min's max when you remove the commercials. And also, I really hated that if we were watching something with the kids, or before the kids were sleeping, we would get short with them or make them wait for a commercial break to "help" them with something. WHAT??? Dumb!
Hello Prairie Chick!
Not a lot of time here tonight...but just wanted to say that I completely agree with you! Wow! I feel so alone on this, too!
Hi Holly. Nice to know we're not alone!
I'm still mulling over this one; I wouldn't bother except that I always get this nagging worry (I think it's from the enemy but I'm not 100% sure) that I might be pushing "seeking faithfulness" as you call it, to an extreme bordering on pharasaical or legalistic, or consumed by "do's and dont's" to the point of distraction. I don't want to become any of those things for sure.
But I also find that if I allow myself to be "laid back" about it, I'm not comfortable with the outcome.
We wouldn't watch that stuff happening in real life and find it entertaining, so what is it that numbs us to what we witness on television? What Jennifer said in her first comment really struck me. If Jesus were here, would I watch this with him? He IS here. Wow. That was a Mack truck in the forehead moment.
I am right there with you on this one - I HATE TV - my husband insists he needs it to 'relax' after working so hard all day - the TV does not go on unless HE does it. It is parentally controlled when I leave kids at home... I would love to get rid of it... I let my children watch The Patriot type movies - it's REAL - the murder stuff of today is not REAL - yes, it happens,but there is no merit in it like in the history of The Patriot and what it stands for.
Post a Comment