Thursday, April 2, 2009

Back on Track


How's it going **my fellow spiritual Olympians?**

How's the training regime? You taking the time to read your Personal Trainer's manual each day? Putting forth that concentrated effort to focus and keep your eyes on the track?

I have been having a tough week in the discipline department, spiritually, physically.... I'm **seeking to refocus** and get back on the treadmill of intentional living, in so many ways. Hold me accountable and I'll do the same for you.

You know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize. So run to win! All those who compete in the games use self-control so they can win a crown. That crown is an earthly thing that lasts only a short time, but our crown will never be destroyed. So I do not run without a goal. I fight like a boxer who is hitting something—not just the air. 1 Corinthians 9:24-26

Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. 1 Thessalonians 5:11


ETA: So interesting the responses I get to this kind of post. You'd think I'd learn and maybe stop sharing along these lines, but hey... this is me, and this is where I'm at. I'm not out to be popular, just real *grin*. After a sweet email exchange I thought it might be best to come back and make some important stipulations though, for the record. Namely;

YES, God loves me unconditionally, YES, it's all about His finished work on the cross, YES, He is my righteousness. Amen and amen and amen. Nothing but the blood.

My husband also loves me unconditionally and is grace personified. The success of this marriage does not depend on my fulfilling his expectations or the success or failure of my domestic and relational expertise or lack thereof. The fact that this amazing man loves me unconditionally and has chosen to become one with me in spite of my shortcomings doesn't change the fact (it actually motivates me all the more) that I want to grow in devotion and commitment to him.

It confuses me why whenever I feel an itch to soar I feel like people are quick to reach out and pull me back "down to earth". Like it's "wrong" somehow to want to be devoted. Like it robs the cross. I see it so different. I'm not trying to carry burdens, I'm itching to fly. I'm not a legalistic fuddy-duddy... I'm passionate about relationship and I strive to grow in ALL my relationships, not to prove myself or attempt to gain favor or love, but as an expression of my love and appreciation for the blessing of that relationship.

Would someone say to me, "Dear P-chick. I just wanted to encourage you to not concern yourself about becoming a better wife... after all, your husband loves you unconditionally and he married you for better or worse, right?" just the thought makes me smile. I mean, it doesn't make SENSE does it? BECAUSE my husband loves me unconditionally and because I love HIM, of course I want to be a better wife. And yes, the better wife I learn to be, it WILL affect my relationship for the better. It doesn't mean that my marriage hinges on my performance, but devotion takes things to entirely new levels.

I realize that the little bit I shared above in the original post is lacking background and heart. It comes across as rather detached and "works" oriented which isn't my heart at all. I'm trying to learn to be more brief and concise, but maybe it's backfiring on me and I end up having to go back and fill in the cracks anyway, heh heh.

Anyway... No, It's not about me. It's not about me being disciplined. It's not about me "earning" God's favor. Yes, it's about Him. It's also about me doing my part to meet Him at the place He is already waiting. It's about me "showing up" and embracing all the great things He has in store for me . Not to gain His approval. Just to experience His grace.

12 comments:

DayPhoto said...

And above all it is wonderful that He died for us...otherwise I can't concieve how hard this life would be.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Unknown said...

that it is. and it really is all about Him. the trail He blazed makes me want all the more to run a good race for His glory, cause He paved the way and He's waiting at the finish line cheering me on.

Mac an Rothaich said...

FLY PRAIRIE CHICK! I hear you! I wanna fly and be like David! Dance so hard I humble myself in giving glory to God, after all it is all for him!

Great post. I expect my husband to treat me right and love me well and so I can't help but strive to do the same for him... I get it. One of the most amazing things about being a Christian is that once he saves us (the cross) he desires for us to experience more and more and such beauty that I can't put it into words and THAT REQUIRES WE STRIVE AND THANK YOU JESUS for not letting me be a couch potato Christian.


We are growing over here, in our marriage and in each of our relationships with Christ, specifically this week, the striving has been all up hill but I know we are to continue to strive with our Lord:)

In The Masters Hands said...

I heard a wonderful preacher a few Sundays ago make the statement," God knows that we will never be perfect, He knows that we will fail and that we will stumble, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't strive to be perfect." So I agree with you on this, My heavenly Father loves me unconditionaly for no reason whatsoever, why would I not want to be pleasing to Him and give Him all of me, everyday all day. There is a great song the our young people sing at church that is titled " He is Really at the Matters", when thing is over and we've crossed deaths cold waters we'll see more clearly, see that really Hes it!!
Great post, Hope you guys have a wonderful weekend!! Brandie

Unknown said...

Oh Becky, did that ever crack me up, LOL! I LOVE it. I mean that you are urging me to fly of course, but paired with my blog handle it was just priceless. You always challenge me and encourage me keep on keeping on, I love that about you.

Thanks for sharing and encouraging ladies. I meant to be encouraging as well... but somehow I don't think it came across at all how I meant it to, sigh.

K-Sue said...

PC, you tend to tap spiritually where I need a tap. Thanks for the encouragement.

Tricia said...

I understand you completely... and I too want to fly!

About the turtle you commented about, we found him at the zoo when we went, we actually found 2, they were just crawling around on the path. We stopped and the boys held and played with them for a while, it was the highlight of their trip!

Blessings!

Leanne said...

Oh,Prairie Chick...
Sometimes I can feel so alone in my christian walk. I know there are others out there who are serious about becoming what God means for them to be but there are so many more that don't seem to care. It would be so discouraging to think that God would save us and leave us where we are spiritually. He never intended that. He wants us to grow so that we can become more like Him, so we can be more intimate with Him. One thing I am noticing as I grow is ... the more I grow and learn about God, the more I see myself for the filthy rag that I am. I think that is where you are coming from. The closer we get to the Lord the more we see the need to work on certain areas He speaks to us about. He is always gently nudging me to work on different areas of my life. I am not content to say I am saved, He knows my faults and loves me anyway. I love Him too much for that. I want to grow closer, I truly do. I am with you... I want to soar.

Alleluiabelle said...

I hear you too Prairie Chick. Fly. I want to fly along side of you along with the many others in this life. You have given me this awesome picture in my mind right now. I can see us all flying in the sky, just as geese fly in their formation, there is one in the lead and that is Him. Now I see the sky full of flyers, some struggling a bit, following a little behind, but still following. Some flying alone, not within the formation, but still trying. Some flying higher than others. He wants us all to fly, to soar for Him, to following Him, not just individually, but in unity as well.

See, you never know where you're going to take me when you post. I had to share because the picture came to me as I read your post and wrote this comment. It might sound strange to some, but that's what He gave me through you today.

Thank you Prairie Chick. Your posts always dramatically touch me in some way.

Hugs,
Alleluiabelle

Anonymous said...

I understand...

Our pastors have been teaching out of John..chapters 11 and 12...and we have paused at Mary's washing the feet of Christ with almost a years wages of nard....

well, Lazarus and Martha were there as well...Lazarus reclining at the table...Martha...ever the grateful servant...

my husband pointed out that all three were worshipping Christ, albeit with different personalities involved....

Only Judas wasn't, instead he was complaining that the nard could have been sold and the money given to the rich i.e. himself...

at first I thought yeah, what keeps us from worshipping with her wild abandon....but the prayer of our hearts should be...

Let me quickly, joyfully obey whatever you are asking of me...perhaps above and beyond my own comfort level..

a years wages....it is all His anyway...but what passion, what love, what devotion....

May we see Him the way we should and worship Him in gratefulness and joy...always!

Anonymous said...

squawk...I meant the poor...hahahahah

Unknown said...

aw, girls. so nice to hear you beating your wings alongside me here. A-belle, I once taught a kids feature in church that was *exactly* the picture you just shared here. How much easier it is to fly in formation, to "catch the current" of other's energy and to sense the team effort and flap, flap, flap. The steady honking is an encouragement for the others that they are all in this together, "I'm here"... FLY, fly, FLY!!!!

I love it. I love it so much.

yesterday I was feeling so blah and disconnected spiritually, so I determined to set my chin and strive to clear my head and I also spilled my guts here. It was funny that at first I seemed to get the opposite reaction of what my heart was hoping for, instead of the honking to fly I felt more like people were saying, never mind P-Chick... it's just fine to stay grounded.

But then you all started piping up with your thoughts and encouragement and this morning when I sat myself down to quieten my heart and listen, I connected loud and clear. And I was encouraged. Not just because I heard Him, but because I know you are all on the same journey, and learning to hear Him too. It's a beautiful thing.

Thanks for being here, and for honking out. I hope I will be and do the same for you.