Thursday, February 19, 2009

Aware.

IMG_1270

"The art of abundance is the art of awareness. It is a way to count our blessings and practice mindfulness in our daily living. Becoming aware of the small, the little, and the least offers us an opportunity to open our hearts to a larger perspective. We learn to value the tastes, textures, scents, sounds, and sights of our lives as they present themselves to us moment by moment.
"Children practice the art of abundance naturally, but often as adults we lose the ability to explore and experience wonder. By choosing to be aware of the gifts life brings, we become lovers instead of critics, believers instead of doubters, and childlike mystics instead of world-weary critics."

*Candy Paull in The Art of Abundance.

Pausing to practice awareness and express thanksgiving…

for a husband who understands romance and practices it daily

for a friendship/marriage that is beyond what I could have hoped or imagined and only gets better with age.

for a hot tub and the relaxation and rejuvenation it brings to us on these dark, cold, long winter evenings.

for the glory of the heavens on said dark, cold, long winter evenings.

for children who understand honor and practice it (most of the time) in the home and without.

for pudgy fisted baby waves and first words “ciao… ciao… ciao…”

for an amazing, amazing job that is a perfect fit for my husband’s gifts and a great yearly evaluation that made him proud and happy and fulfilled thus making me proud and happy and fulfilled.

for an abundance of forever friends, food and fun times.

for peace… in my heart, in my head, in my home.

for heavy crystals of hoar frost that coat creation in a crocheted doily of sparkling wonder.

Father in Heaven I stand in wonder at your amazing grace.

* I stumbled across this quote over at Susan’s place and it just “clicked” so perfectly with where my spirit is at that I couldn’t help lifting it and sharing it with you all.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful, uplifting words this morning. Hope you all enjoy a great day!

Leanne said...

So true, being aware doesn't come natural as we age. We must stop ourselves amidst our busy lives and become aware of the wonderful things that so often get overlooked. Thanks for the reminder. Have a great day! Leanne

Chris said...

I'm with you. So great to have an overflowing heart and a Father so willing to lavishly explode his wonder and grace on us, so that we can't escape the knowledge that He IS.

Tea soon? Please say you'll come. All 6 or even 7 of you! Call me and we'll set something up.

grammy said...

Beautiful words. I also like what Chris said."..a Father so willing to lavishly explode his wonder and grace on us..." Have a wonderful day. Did you visit my anniversary post? Come over and see me as a young bride (o:

Linda said...

I think thankfulness is "catching". I felt such gratitude just reading your wonderful list. God is good.

The McMurrays said...

Your words are always so beautiful!! As are you.

Hey, was wondering if you've still been reading Family Driven Faith? I loved hearing your thoughts on such a provacative book. :)

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! I love the pictures...so beautiful! I'm curious, and I've searched your blog, where do you live? Not address, city and state Ü just state (and/or country). I'm guessing up north....maybe Canada, Wyoming or the Dakotas.

Thanks for sharing glimpses of your life with us!

~Kelly in AR

Unknown said...

Mildred, I popped your package in the mail today, she'll be comin' round the mountain when she comes.... =)

Linda, it is catching isn't it. Even for me, I start with just one thing, and then it builds to a crescendo and I end feeling like my heart is full to overflowing.

Sav... Family driven faith got put up on the shelf while I dug into Bringing Up Boys (I had specific boy issues I needed to deal with and this book has taken me SO long to work my way through although I have totally enjoyed it). I do plan on picking up FDF as soon as I finish BUB which should be in the next week or so. I will continue to share my thoughts!

Kelly, so sweet! I am in Canada, smack dab in the middle of the prairies and that's about as specific as I like to get *wink*. Welcome to my virtual abode. Y'all come back now ya hear?

Tricia said...

What a wonderful post that just invokes peace and thankfulness...

I could use some of that peace right now, this afternoon my kids have been a huge bundle of energy and we have been cooped up in the house and I am about to go CRAZY!!

My hubby had to work late... so I have put them to bed early :)

Blessings!

In The Masters Hands said...

Been doing a bit of being aware at my place too here lately, taking some time away from the hustle and bustle of life to enjoy time with my children, You are right we do all need to be more aware of the precious gifts in my life given to me from my dear Heavenly Father. Brandie

Anonymous said...

I so agree with Tricia....this blog promotes peace and thankfulness. I LOVE the pictures and the gentle words. Thanks for your encouragement (and peace!)

Ü~Kelly in AR