Monday, February 23, 2009

Banner in the Battle



Still up to our eyeballs in the civil war over here. Not that we are tired of it... it's intense and fascinating, if disturbing. One recurring thought I have had in watching movies like "Gods an Generals" and "Glory" is why on earth it was SO important for that flag of honor to stay raised in every altercation, be it one of offense or defense. The flag bearer was a position of great honor and responsibility, I got that. But until tonight I didn't really GET that. Here is something that stopped me in my tracks and gave me serious food for thought.

"(God) is also (known as) Jehovah-nissi, the Lord my banner. In the heat of battle, soldiers feared getting separated from their army. For that reason a banner was carried into the conflict, and if a fighter found himself alone, the raised flag would signal safety. "

From "The Great House of God" by Max Lucado

That flag must have also provided a resolve and strength of purpose not to mention courage. Blew me away to think that when I feel like a soldier trapped behind enemy lines all I have to do is look up... and I'll see that His Banner over Me is Love. And that's all the hope and promise this girl needs.

1 comment:

Berry Girl said...

well now, THAT is interesting.