Friday, July 11, 2008

Easy To Believe

Frankly... this moved me. I'm lovin' Jose. I'm lovin' the simple everyday miracles, of faith, and life, and, well, the whole shebang.

From the column of my Max Lucado Devotional Bible...

The little house made me think of pictures I'd seen of the United States during the Depression. Unlit kerosene lanterns (no electricity). Basins of water to wash up in (no running water). A wall lined with well-worn hoes, shovels, and picks (no modern equipment)... I felt a long way from Rio.

Senor Jose took me on a tour through his segment of the world. For thirty seven years he had plowed and tilled his two acres. It was obvious that he knew every hole and turn. "I fed fourteen mouths off this land," he smiled, fingering a lettuce plant. "Where did you say you were from?"

"The U.S."

"What do you do there?"

I explained a bit about my work...

"A missionary, huh? Your job must be pretty easy."

"How's that?" I asked.

"I have no trouble believing in God. After I see what he has done on my little farm year after year, it is easy to believe." He smiled another toothless grin and yelled to his wife to bring out some beans.

As we drove home, I couldn't help thinking about Senor Jose. My, what a simple life. No traffic jams, airline schedules, or long lines. Far removed from Wall Street, IRS and mortgages. Unacquainted with Johannine theology, Martin Luther, or christian evidences.

I thought of his faith, his ability to believe, and his surprise that there were some who couldn't. I compared his faith with others I knew had more difficulty believing; a university student, a wealthy import-export man, an engineer.

His faith was rooted in the simple miracles that he witnessed every day;

A small seed becoming a towering tree.
A thick stalk pushing back the earth.
A rainbow arching in the midst of the thundercloud.

It was easy for him to believe. I can see why. Someone who witnesses God's daily display of majesty doesn't find the secret of Easter absurd. Someone who depends upon the mysteries of nature for his livelihood doesn't find it difficult to depend on an unseen God for his salvation...

God's testimony. When was the last time you witnessed it? A stroll through knee-high grass in a green meadow. An hour listening to seagulls or looking at seashells on the beach. Or witnessing the shafts of sunlight brighten the snow on a crisp winter dawn. Miracles that almost match the magnitude of the empty tomb happen all around us; we only have to pay attention.


From; No Wonder They Call Him the Savior by Max Lucado.

It’s not that unusual, when everything is beautiful. It’s just another ordinary miracle today.
The sky knows when its time to snow, you don’t need to teach a seed to grow. It’s just another ordinary miracle today.
Life is like a gift they say, wrapped up for you everyday; open up and find a way to give some of your own.
Isn’t it remarkable? Like every time a rain drop falls. It’s just another ordinary miracle today.
Birds in winter have their fling but always make it home by spring. It’s just another ordinary miracle today.
When you wake up every day please don’t throw your dreams away; hold them close to your heart cause we’re all a part of the ordinary miracle.
It seems so exceptional that things just work out after all. It’s just another ordinary miracle today.
Sun comes up and shines so bright, and disappears again at night. It’s just another ordinary miracle today.

9 comments:

In The Masters Hands said...

I stand in awe of the Great and Awesome God we serve. His majesty is everywhere, all we have to do is open our eyes to see it. Your post was a real blessing this morning. Hope you have a great day. Brandie

Leanne said...

Wow, I have never really even stopped to think that the miracles we see (or don't see) all around us, are just as miraculous as the virgin birth or an empty tomb! God is AMAZING, and so is all of His creation! Thank you for sharing that devotion and opening my eyes to the miracles all around me. Have a wonderful weekend. Leanne

Dawn said...

Amen! Just curious, what scripture was this devotional placed with in your Bible?

I've always wondered how anyone could observe nature and deny God's existance and sustaining power. I especially feel that way whenever we visit the coast and I joke that I can hear God better when my behind is sitting in sand! Ha!

Anonymous said...

What a great way of putting it. The evidence of God's existence is all around us if we are willing to see.

Brings to mind a few verses, Romans 1:19-20 "For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse."

and Psalm 19.

Tricia said...

I left a comment a few moments ago but my computer went haywire!! Did you get it?

Tricia said...

I don't guess you got it, so I will try again...

What a wonderful post reminding us of the ordinary miracles we take for granted, reminds me of the brilliant sunrises I have witnessed this week, they never seem to bore me but enthrall me! Our Creator is just awesome!

Thanks for your sweet and encouraging comment earlier today, it blessed my heart.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Blessings!

Joy said...

We serve an all powerful and mighty God. Sometimes I find myself forgetting that. Thanks for the post today it is a blessing. It reminds me to keep my eyes on Him and everything else will fall into place. Also left me thinking just how much do I witness...thanks for making me think!
Joy

Berry Girl said...

yep, it's all around us isn't it. Makes me wonder why then we have so much trouble trustin (or maybe it's just me...) Thanks for this.

Unknown said...

Oh Dawn, I have reminded myself five times to look up that passage for you, and promptly forgotten. FINALLY... and apologetically;

it was tied in to Job 29-31, and dealt with pride and humility and faith. Sorry bout that, I'll copy this over to your place in case you miss it, too.