Monday, July 14, 2008

Floundering, Fellowship and Filling the Bill

on Floundering, Fellowship and Filling the Bill.
Remember last week's musings when I shared my desires for fellowship and my dream to see it happening in the flesh? I recognize it happens here in blogland on a daily basis and am truly, madly, deeply thankful for that, but I want to experience this type of interaction with "people with skin on" (not to imply that all of you don't have skin on or anything; but you know what I mean right?). Okay, so here is an update.

First off. Savannah sent me the following quote in a recent email exchange, and BOY was it music to my ears;

(Fellowship is) an expression of both love and humility. [It] springs from a desire to bring benefit to others, coupled with a sense of personal weakness and need. It has a double motive – the wish to help, and to be helped; to edify, and to be edified. It has a double aim – to do, and to receive, good. It is a seeking by Christian people to know God better through sharing with each other what, individually, they have learned of Him already. J.I. Packer.

This just got me even more pumped to experience this type of reality with members of our local body. So I sent out my little facebook invites and called a few people up on the phone and made a last minute invitation to one couple at church this morning, and... well.... we put ourselves out there.

Notice the nouns and verbs up there? Well, they are hounding me at this point. As I process this, in hindsight I realize that "I planned" this. Yeah, my motives were good, my desires were pure, and all that. But I lacked a few VERY important qualities. The first and foremost being patience.

I just came online to yack about this and before I did I read Dawn's blog and what jumped out at me and hit me smack in the forehead was the part at the very end where she wrote;

HE knows what "longings need to be filled" He just needs us to allow HIM to fill the bill...

Well, DUH. *sigh*. Looking back at last week's post I even said;

So I am setting this dream down in black and white, I'm offering it to God, and expressing it to others, with a hope and anticipation that He will bring something of it and fulfill the desires of our hearts and meet the desires that others may not even realize they have.

But then I didn't follow through! We felt a need, we had a longing and WE tried to meet it. And I think we (okay *I*) pushed it when we needed to be patient. Not to say the dream was wrong. Only the timing. I'm a "just do it" kinda gal. Which is fine and dandy when He gives the green light and says "Go!"... and He's riding shot gun, but I think in this case I ran a yellow light before He'd even entered the vehicle.

It wasn't a total gong show or anything (or was it Berry Girl?? :grin:) but it definitely fell more to the side of "early labour pains" than "post partem elation". I'm not discouraged or anything and we still are committed to the dream, but in our "so how did that go" conversation we realized we have to be committed to giving it to Him and seeing how He brings it to fulfillment. Who He wants to draw us into fellowship with. And how. And when. And why. We have a few tweaked ideas now (how do you know before you try right?) but I think the ultimate lesson learned is that God needs to PLANT the seed of desire for fellowship, He needs to CALL specific individuals to fellowship, and then when we who have felt that call respond, He will EQUIP us to fellowship. It's not something a person can contrive merely because it is a good idea. Which is TOTALLY what I ended up doing. I say I because although Prairie Guy was good with it all and fully on board with the concept HE would have probably waited, and talked more with people BEFORE jumping in the deep end. No, not probably... definitely.

So.... now I think after all that rushing we will stop in our tracks. Get our bearings. Take time to look and listen, and share our heart with more people as God brings us opportunity and see how He fills the bill. My evening ended with a perfect analogy that warmed my heart. I will share it in closing. I shared briefly how I took the kids to Dollarama and let them have pick of the store because I thought that would be fun for them. I think it was fun for them, not so fun for me. But I digress.

Tonight, The Poppet (6) came up to me with 5 loonies (dollar coins) in her hand. She expressed her desire to purchase her own Dollarama gift next time we went. I told her that she didn't need to do that. That the whole point for me is that *I* wanted to give her a gift, albeit a cheap one (in this case it was a cheap thrill, but I delight in giving them all manners of gifts big and small). But she insisted that she WANTED to purchase it with her OWN money. I told her she could if she really wanted to, but my heart felt a bit dull as this robbed me of that special perk of doing something for her, little thing that it was.

Maybe you are already following me. I thought of the spatulas and what a simple (cheap) thrill that was for me. He filled the bill and a 49 cent item made me feel like a million bucks. Then I thought of tonight. After the simple interchange with my little Prairie Princess I was struck by how I was doing the exact same thing with MY Father. Saying, "I'll get this Lord. I want to! I can! I'll just fill the bill here...." Wow. Me. With my 5 little coins. Wanting to fill the bill while He's standing there with His millions. What a silly girl.

12 comments:

NanaNor's said...

A great lesson, even as I read it I realized that I have tried to do the same. You see, I moved to a new state 7 mos ago and do not have any close friends, except my daughters. I've tried in my own strength to cultivate relationships with sisters in Christ but now see I need Him to guide me and the friendships I miss and so desire will come.
Blessings. Noreen

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

I got up to check my email as I could not sleep. If you only knew how honored I am that I get to share in this,with you,from HIM!

OUR DHF IS AN AWESOME GOD!!!

Your place and mine seem worlds away however I am excited anyways that when we are in that glorious place I won't have to introduce myself but instead I plan to fly/walk/skip/jump/think it?! and give you a real hug!

For now grab a hug from one of those cute kids and pretend it's from me because I so feel like we are family in Christ!

Krista said...

I have gone through the same thing when I moved here 12 years ago. Keep trusing Him and He will cultivate the friendships. Have a great day, my friend,
Krista

Anonymous said...

I think parenthood is one of God's greatest gifts to us, if for no other reason than to get an appreciation (slight inkling) of how deep and true his love is.

Joy said...

A very good lesson! I more often times than not jump in front of God and just dive in and "get it done" rather than allowing him. What joy comes from me taking the reins so to speak none. I find my own self wanting to be in the drivers seat and have control, but this only brings me heartache. IT is so easy to do. Praise the Lord he is merciful. I am sure I am worse than a two year old child to my heavenly Father, he constantly has to tell me to stop and listen...Stand Still. I am not a very patient person at all and that is one of my hardest things to do in my christian life to just stand still. I love the little song"He's still working on me" that my children sing in church..how true it is not just for my children but for me. Thanks for sharing. I am praying for you as you seek him, and you do the same for me. HAve a wonderful day in the Lord!
Joy

Berry Girl said...

ok, first of all, I didn't think it went poorly. I really enjoyed it. I heard a few things from people that I hadn't heard before and wouldn't have heard had we not been there together. And I heard something in Prairie Guy's scripture reading that I had never noticed before in the taking of the elements - a passage I have heard MANY times, but last night something totally new jumped out at me that I need to muse on today - so thanks for that!
I'm not sure what you were hoping for - maybe it didn't go deep enough? or maybe not enough people felt comfortable enough to share? Anyway, I felt blessed - I hope that encourages you a bit.
however, I get what you mean about taking the lead, so to speak, from God. And what a great "lesson" from your LO. For sure you are on the right track, and perhaps you need to slow down a bit and see how it unfolds - it may not be a "formal" time so much as having a few couples over for coffee and seeing where things go? perhaps with a few leading questions or comments?
I love you. I'm thankful for last night. I hope we have many more opportunities for "deeper" discussion and encouragement.

Unknown said...

Jen, I'm so thankful for your friendship, it is a blessing. You are one of the few people I feel I can "go there" with in real life and you won't shrivel up and shrink away if you know what I mean. I didn't think it went "poorly" either. I think the impression I got from the guys was that they didn't really feel the need for that kind of fellowship, because if they "needed" to talk to someone about something they would call up a friend and talk. But that kind of glazes over half of the meaning of fellowship from the above definition. That it's not just about *our* needs, but God meeting and ministering to *other people's* needs through our sharing, kwim?

I think you are bang on with the leading questions. As we discussed it a bit last night we thought two things. 1. we need to make it more intentional (ie, I think although we told some people we wanted to have people over for "fellowship", they thought that meant food and casual conversation" and when the "real" fellowship started they got uncomfortable and left (could be wrong, maybe they had to leave for other reasons).

And 2. although we wanted it to be really spontaneous and natural, that wasn't really fair when people had no heads up. The question about "what did people share about at camp" made me realize that obviously, at camp we had a common ground, a starting place. So one of our thoughts was that we could pick a theme and jot down a few leading questions on little invite cards with the fellowship quote and premise somewhere on there as well.

I'm still excited, I just hope we didn't wierd some people out who thought maybe fellowship meant hotdogs and weather talk, kwim? Thanks for coming, and being you, and being my friend.

The McMurrays said...

Thanks for letting the rest of us in on your thoughts and conversations about this. It means a lot.

I've wondered and thought often over the weekend how Sunday night would/did go for you. Sounds overall like quite a few experiences we've had in attempting to be real with people...they get uncomfortable... and then we feel silly and question ourselves ("are *we* weird?!"). LOL. Glad you had some friends there that were willing to "go there" with you. Those are the best kind.

Alas, I love the lesson learned through your daughter. It was God's kindness to you and to me that you learned that, as my husband and I spent the entire weekend in our own spiritual struggles related to fellowship, and, well, all things spiritual (sparked primarily by *your* reflections from your camp experience!;) - A total blessing, by the way...).

We know God has us here in this place for a time, but sometimes ya just get worn down trying to FIT as a round peg in a square hole!!! And, I sadly tend to begin to wonder if something is wrong with me for being round instead of square (and happy as a square) like everyone else around me. Much to my shame though, the heart of my matter comes down to the same lesson that you learned. I'm not trusting MY heavenly Father...that HE is at work, HE gave me the desires of my heart, and the HE is seeking to bless us through and from this experience of essentially living on another planet ;D as He is seeking to bless you with trusting Him with your desires for fellowship...*fully*...not "just with a little help!" Praise Him that it makes us long for Heaven with fervor!
Thanks for letting me ramble.
Somehow it seemed fitting today... ;)

Tricia said...

How often we try to fill those longings we have with everything other than the Lord, I have learned the hard way that only He can meet my every need and longing... He knows what they are, and if I bring them to Him and wait for Him to move in my life, He always provides immensely better than I could ever have done for myself.

Thanks so much for sharing...

Blessings!

Unknown said...

You are all such a blessing. Savannah, your post really moved me. God is good.

Mac an Rothaich said...

Got your comment and have to say we miss you guys too... fellowship is hard to find... so many people aren't comfortable with just doing it... we often wonder where it is for us now that we are in the city but have to be patient...

I thought I would never make meaningful friendships when I arrived in our little town (after 11 lonely years as a new believer) and was angrey with God for giving me that painful need for so many years with no relief. Pretty soon he showed me my friends and told me to be theirs and before I knew it my need was filled...

Your post reminded me of that and how I know enough, through experience, to wait this time of my life out and the needs will be taken care of.

Unknown said...

Hey, Bec. I understand what you are driving at, and agree. Just wanted to clarify that my hunger is not for meaningful friendships, I have many of those. It's for meaningful fellowship within the larger (or A larger) body of believers. Just a more authentic, real, *communal* fellowship with those we congregate with week in and week out. A time to share, to listen, to pray, to grow closer as a body.

Maybe our stilted interaction with one another serves a good purpose though, deepening that thirst for the perfect fellowship with Him and each other that will come only with His coming. Even so, come Lord Jesus.