Friday, July 11, 2008

The Spatula Saga (or how God humored my frugal side)

The Spatula Saga.
As Chris is my witness, I have been operating spatula-less in my kitchen for the past while. I had a spatula. Indeed, I believe I've had numerous spatulas... no idea why I now find myself spatula-less. Most likely it got carried off by a set of pudgy hands, eager to lick chocolate icing or cookie batter and ended up, well, I don't know where, obviously.

You would think a spatula would be a relatively easy item to replace but alas, my mental library is obviously lacking storage space for details involving kitchen utensils these days. Possibly because my brain cells are being sucked dry alongside my mammillary glands. Is that what you call them? It's late. I'm tired. My brain is fried. But I want to share this fun story nonetheless. So if mammillary is not a word, show me a little grace... it "sounds" right, but looks rather funny. I digress...

I don't know how long I have been operating without a spatula but it has been a while. A friend expressed shock as she watched me scrape my cookie batter out of a mixing bowl with a wooden spoon. Truly, I had not felt the loss. I am one to make do with what I have on hand. But to avoid shocking future friends I made a mental note to replace my spatula. Shouldn't be difficult. Just do it already. Well.... I don't know what happened to that mental sticky note, but let's just say it wasn't sticking anywhere visible during my shopping trips of the past month. I remembered about the spatula only days AFTER while doing some associated chore in the kitchen.

But... the other day, I SPECIFICALLY went to a store to buy two all important items. A mop and.... a spatula. I found the mop and it's just dandy. I found the spatula(s) and stood there staring for a few minutes before leaving the store, you guessed it, spatula-less. Why you ask? Well, here's the thing. The spatulas came in a pack of three. The price tag? 6.99. Phooey. I really only needed one spatula, and I certainly was not going to pay 6.99 for one spatula. Granted, there were three spatulas. But I only needed one you see. You get my logic. Don't you? Remember, I'm FRUGAL.

Moving on to today. Totally forgot to look for a spatula at Dollarama, where surely I would have found one (or three) for a dollar. I refuse to take the blame for this absentmindedness as I was in all reality anything but absent minded. My mind was completely absorbed with the 2 month old in a football hold under my right arm, maneuvering the cart up absurdly narrow aisles with my left arm, keeping an eye on the 2 year old pushing the empty stroller up said narrow aisles, calming the 4 year old who was having a choosing meltdown (I thought it would be *fun* for the kids to have full pick of the entire store to choose ONE item; who would have known what a gong show that would turn out to be??) Okay, you get the idea, right? And that doesn't even mention the two *other* children that were with me. Yes, gong show is an apt description.

Then I hit the second hand store and find a whackload of great frugal treasures (will share pics another time). And as I am making my way to the till I pass the aisles of kitchen stuff. And remember. Spatula. Now... let me just clarify. I am frugal, but I am not *that* frugal. I mean, I really don't mind forking out the 3 dollars to buy a new spatula. That's not a problem for me. Really. The problem lies with me not having sufficient available brain cells to remember to make that purchase a reality. I pause at the end of the kitchen aisle. Should I look? No, that's just dumb. Well, what the heck? I am a redneck after all, it's not like people EAT with spatulas (um, okay, well we won't go there)or use them to clean their toilets or anything. It's a spatula for heaven's sake. I take a step up the aisle. Somewhere in the back of my mind I am using a few of those unoccupied brain cells to send up what in hindsight sounds like a completely idiotic prayer, but hey... He's cool with me. "Lord. You know this whole spatula saga. Remember how I deliberately walked away from the 6.99 spatula(s)? Do you see how frazzled I am down here? Well. Lord. It would be really nice if I could find a spatula and put an end to this saga once and for all. "

I kid you not. No sooner were the thoughts adrift and my eyes alighted on a sealed package of 3 spatulas. The EXACT same spatulas I had turned my back on in Home Hardware 3 days before. 49 cents. God is GOOD. And I don't mean He is good like a good being (which He is. obviously) but I mean GOOD in the way that Tiger Woods is GOOD at golf. Martha Stewart is GOOD at decorating... God is GOOD at surprising those who approach him simply, with no presuppositions or barriers. It was a GOOD moment. A delightful moment. And all over a silly, simple.... spatula. I'm still smiling.

11 comments:

Dawn said...

Yay for spatulas! Isn't it wonderful that God DOES care about the little "trivial" details of our lives?

God did a similar thing for me yesterday. I have been watching (for months and months) some dishes at an outlet store. They are perfect. They are ME. Did I need new dishes? No. Did I need new dishes even at at the discounted, outlet store price? No.
Long story short: I got them and the deal was UNBELIEVABLE. And, it happened in such a way that I just knew in my spirit that I had been given the "okay" to get the dishes. Even hubby thinks they are great!

Maybe I'll do a post on them with a picture!

Blessings to you!

Chris said...

ho-ho! Yay for God, and yay for great deals, and yay for spatulas!!! ps. - anyone ever seen the spatula city ad from the movie UHF? priceless.

Anyways... I nearly bought you a spatula twice... set out and didn't get it on the list... now I know why! Congrats on your purchase - I really consider that and my garlic press my best tools of my trade!

Oh - I'm pretty sure it's just mammary glands... but I love your creative attempt!

Mac an Rothaich said...

Spatulas are rare in my home too, not sure why either (lol) so I had to laugh about your saga as it rings true for me... your little blessing rocks:)

Berry Girl said...

hahahahahahahaha!!! You're too funny! I had the same problem with vaccuum cleaner bags...I would even have them on the list but would completey forget about them until I was at home and needing to vaccuum with "considerable" more suction than I was getting...yay for little but at the same time huge blessings.

Tricia said...

What a great story!! I too am smiling for you! I just love it when God does something like that for us, isn't it wonderful that He is such a personal God!

Have a wonderful weekend and thanks for sharing!

Blessings!

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

As well you should still be smiling...just thinking /looking at it this way causes me (others) to wonder..if HE cares about the small stuff then YOU KNOW HE REALLY CARES ABOUT THE BIG STUFF!

Thanks for that great share!

Leanne said...

That reminds me of what we say at Church, if anyone ever says " God is good, all the time" everyone chimes back "all the time, God is good!" This is so true.
God has blessed me with so many great deals, I know exactly where you are coming from! Just recently I got all of my 6 yr olds homeschool curriculum(except workbooks) for just a little over a $100.00, at a used curriculum fair. Thank-you Lord!

Mitzi said...

Somehow I could picture that moment when you spotted those spatulas. I love it when God surprises us and reaffirms that He is right there with us.....Great post and God bless you and yours....

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, Just wanted to say I love your stories as well as your family pic's on your other blog-you are so gifted and it makes me smile just to read about your little ones. You are bringing life to all of us so keep on, even in the midst of living with little ones.
Praising Him for meeting your needs. In Him, Noreen

Unknown said...

For the record, I am not guilty of using a non-existent word (*this* time);

Sci-Tech Dictionary: mammillary
(′ma·mə′ler·ē)
(anatomy) Of or pertaining to the nipple. Breast- or nipple-shaped.

(mineralogy) Of or pertaining to an aggregate of crystals in the form of a rounded mass.

Phew.

So Berry Girl got to use my heaven sent spatula today, that was cool ;D

Jenni said...

Oh I just love moments like that. It rivals any miracle to hit the evening news because it's happening to *me*!