One of the things I truly appreciate about our home is the huge windows that look out over nothing but a wide expanse of fields and sky. It means I get to be a thankful spectator every single day to the many faces of nature. Amber sunrises, crimson sunsets, blinding lightning storms and star studded blackness. The blue, pink and white brush strokes of the northern lights sweeping across a black canvas and the stages of the moon as it waxes and wanes.
It’s like watching a spectacle and it is interesting to examine the emotions that accompany each one of these experiences. When we turn off all our lights and park ourselves in front of our dining room window to watch **a lightning storm** approach and overtake us our hearts are in our throats much as they would be if the headless horseman were charging our way.
Northern lights for me are akin to opera or a night at the symphony. I am held spellbound and breathless with a feeling of awe and of worship that can just hold me still and captive for hours. Even when the air is too cold for comfort or the mosquitoes are doing their part to drive me insane.
**Sunrises** and **sunsets** are like visits from a brilliantly clad flamenco dancer all flamboyant and beautiful, weaving rhythm and joy into the fabric of our day.
And the **moon**? Oh the moon. The moon is the face of a gentle friend smiling down on us through these prairie nights. When the winds of change take her away to make the rounds of other far away lands she is sadly missed, and when we catch sight of her making her way over the horizon we always welcome her with glad hearts. I wish she never had to go, but then again, her temporary absence surely makes me delight in her presence all the more.
The Moon’s the North Wind’s cookie
He bites it day by day
Until there’s but a rim of scraps
That crumble all away
The South Wind is a baker
He kneads clouds in his den
and bakes a crisp new moon
that greedy North Wind eats again.
Vachel Lindsay
9 comments:
Beautiful!
I've never seen the northern lights. Maybe someday!!!
Blessings!
Awesome! My DH loves to sit and watch lightning storms. I remember seeing the northern lights, shooting stars, and comets for the first time when I was in college in MN. Amazing!
I am always in awe at the splendor of what He has made. The majestic beauty of such sites takes my breath away every time. Thank you Prairie Chick for taking my breath away this morning as I also checked out your other majestic sites you mentioned. Absolutely beautiful!
Hugs,
Alleluiabelle
Truly wonderful pictures of God's glorious creation! Together with your words they become poetry. Thanks for sharing!
Do you really see the Northern lights from where you live? How cool that would be. I love lightening storms and the moon. Beautiful pictures.
What a beautiful world our Heavenly Father created for us to enjoy!
Amazing. What a beautiful post sweet girl.
I would love to see the northern lights. I am one who stands out on the lawn at two o'clock in the morning looking heavenward to see the meteor showers the weather man promised would be there.
I have been disappointed again and again.
There I stand with my bathrobe clutched around me craning my neck and turning my head in every direction.
One of these mornings I will actually see them!
Oh the METEOR SHOWERS!!! HOW could I forget the meteor showers???? You can tell summer is SO long ago!! I have my "outdoor sleeping bag" for laying out in the middle of the backyard on the cold ground to watch the meteor showers and northern lights. Keeps me warm and dry and also sheilds MOST of me from the pesky mosquitoes not to mention it saves the neck! I have no shame, I even laid flat on my back in the cathedrals of Europe to admire the painting on the ceilings... it's the only way really! =)
What a blessing your home is:) To enjoy nature, ahhhh lovely!
Post a Comment