After an amazing week at a thought provoking family camp on the shores of a gem of a prairie lake I am happy to be home and back to a semblance of normal (whatever that means). It was a perfect week of leisurely mornings, late morning sessions with a Focus on the Family speaker, GREAT food, afternoons of fun and sun and water and sand, more GREAT food, relaxed evenings topped off with great sharing, worship and prayer in evening circles... ah.... the evening circles. The heart of camp as it is referred to. The time to pause, reflect, share, pray, just generally "meet" face to face, heart to heart, soul to soul. Various people (including pastors) voiced the specialness of this type of encounter, the desire that this kind of sharing could be brought home from the lake and made part of our year round life. I have to admit, it's a desire of mine as well and a regular source of disappointment to me.
Prairie Guy grew up in the brethren church where "church" looks pretty much like those evening sharing circles. Light on the program, heavy on the interaction. Less brain fodder (preaching) and more heart fodder (sharing), not to discount the importance of preaching by any means, but I hope you understand what I am driving at. We also spent nearly 7 years in ministry (3 years with OM ships and 3.5 years in camp ministry in Italy with the Brethren churches) where this kind of interaction was regular and rewarding.
I have long resigned myself to the fact that our Sunday morning services are not set up this way. That they are more of an institution of instruction than an organism of openness. That they are more about program and preaching than spontaneous praise, prayer and petition. That everything has a time and place in the name of "order of service" and as such even the Lord's table, the heartbeat of our meeting, has been forced onto a 2 month rotation. This grieves me. It grieves me, but I refuse to allow myself to harbor a spirit of criticism or judgementalism. This is easier said than done. It's hard (read heart) work. I have purposefully and pointedly forbidden myself to read Pagan Christianity by George Barna because in my heart I am already aware of how far off the mark we are, and rather than spending my time digging the hole of despair and discontent any deeper, I want to work pro-actively to BE and ACHIEVE the things I wish for the church.
Being helpless to change the church, we have set our hearts on changing our attitude. Praying for a passion and love for our church (which we already are passionate about and which we already love). We were challenged at camp to "take risks". To dream big. To BE a difference. Prairie Guy and I spoke this afternoon after church, shared a little bit of our sadness at the "dryness" of it all, and then quickly caught ourselves and exhorted one another with challenges and questions of how we could BE different. Heart longs for the Lord's table and fellowship around a circle? Let's make it happen! I've long had a desire for our home to be an "open house" on Sunday afternoons/evenings. My desire was more for the fellowship aspect and just "hanging" and "shooting the breeze". But now I think we have a seedling of vision in our hearts for something even more intentional. So I am setting this dream down in black and white, I'm offering it to God, and expressing it to others, with a hope and anticipation that He will bring something of it and fulfill the desires of our hearts and meet the desires that others may not even realize they have.
Here is what I envision. Sunday afternoons, after children's naps (4 o'clock-ish) start an "open house-ish" type get together. This could be here at our place, or at the ball park, the park, the lake, other people's yards or just in the church fellowship hall during winter. Everyone brings picnic style food to eat together later on. We spend a few hours playing ball, or flying kites, or bocce, indoor games in winter, just hanging out and PLAYING. Then we eat. And talk. And laugh. Then we have a sharing circle. Around a fire. On a beach, in the park, wherever. We just sit around and sing impromptu worship songs to the accompaniment of a couple guitars or acapella, and in between songs we challenge each other. With personal testimonies, passages of scripture. We love each other. By listening and reaching out and praying. We sit in silence, staring into a fire, or listening to the wind in the leaves, or the hoot of an owl. Learn to be comfortable with silence, enjoy it even, how come we can do that at the lake but not at home??? Dearest and sweetest of all, we take time to commemorate Him in the breaking of bread and the passing of the cup. Nothing mystical. Nothing ceremonial. Bread. Juice. One simple loaf, one common pitcher, divided amongst us. Taken in fellowship, looking forward to the day we will take it in fellowship with Him.
These are my musings. This is my dream.
19 comments:
Just read something that made me laugh then cry, and filled my heart with hope and joy despite a dry day. Thought I'd share the blessing;
http://isaacandjude.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-to-get-ready-for-church.html
totally conversing with myself here, but I just had a light bulb moment. I think the reason I love the blogging community so much is that it meets many of my needs and desires for raw, real and reassuring interaction. I don't think it can or should replace the "real" deal, but it sure to heck helps!
I love your idea. If I was nearby I would definitely join you and help you in your endeavor. Too many times we limit our worship to our time spent in church. We are all called to worship at all times and in everything we do. applaud your efforts.
This is what my dh and I also like to do in honor of the DHG...our home is a vessell in which HE has given to us to use for HIS glory and our lives should also be in one accord!
So on Friday's and Saturday Evenings (aka Sabbath times)
We invite and have fellowship times together! This is good for the soul! So glad your re-charged!
Happy you continue to feel need for change..as it's what keeps us working for HIM, right?!
Funny how camp hits the heart of so many. I love the Bible camp I grew up going to, even today my heart yearns to go there, as if I can't be as close to my Saviour here. My kids are the same way about the camp they went too....good memories.
I think you have an excellent idea about Sunday evenings. Maybe I'll try to implement that out here in the panhandle. If you ever head out west you can come join us!
Amazing pictures!
Let's do it!! The next evening that's available, let's pass the cup and bread! Maybe even a blessing-ring (revealing where God has touched them this week?!?)
I'm in. And I hear you.
I understand where you are coming from. We have to be very careful to not be so "religious" that we forget the "relationship". You are such an inspiration. Your idea of fellowshipping with other believers sounds so exciting. In regular services it can be hard to just be real with everyone, but around a campfire...wow.
I enjoy good quality time with other Christians so much, whether with family, best friends, Church friends or my blogging friends. I will be praying for you as you begin to implement this new idea. Have a wonderful day.
Go for it:) We have chatted before about this topic I think and you know where my heart stands, in agreement with you! AMEN!
I have the same dreams, I know my husband and I long for more true fellowship with other believers, rather than just the surface stuff everyone gives... we will never be able to minister to others and be ministered to if we do not open us and share...
You have given me something to ponder ... and I have an idea brewing in my head that I hope I will be able to put feet too...
Blessings! And I am so glad you enjoyed your getaway!
Ahhh..fellowship..there is a lot of meaning to that word. For me it means interaction with others in christ,sharing,bearing one anothers testimonies. Testimony means so much what a better way to share it than fellowship. Always leaves me feeling relaxed, renewed and ready for life! I wish you the best! We all need more fellowship with other christians especially our own church, what a way to help each other grow in the Lord!
Joy
Sounds like you truly encountered the Lord while at the camp! I would encourage you to move forward with your dream. God will guide you as you go.
While living in another state, we met every Sunday evening just as you described. It was a wonderful time of fellowship and being OPEN and REAL with one another in a way that cannot happen in a larger, organized service.
One suggestion for you from our current church: We keep the communion elements out every Sunday morning, off to the side of the stage - and anyone is free to go to the table and partake as desired during the worship/singing portion of the service. It's nice to have it available as the Spirit moves. Maybe you could suggest something like this to your church leadership?
Blessings!
Dawn
well, you made me cry. That was exactly what I was craving on Sunday (and the Sunday before that, and the one before that...)
I'll be at your house on Sunday. ;)
Fellowship is such a wonderful thing! I think the idea is a great one and I will be praying for you in this new endeavor for the Lord. I believe that this is what serving the Lord is all about, letting our lights shine out to others in fellowship and love. So anyways, You Go Girl and may God richly bless this work for His Glory and His Honor!!!
Brandie
huh. I have to admit I was nervous about putting myself out there. Thank you everyone for sharing and supporting and encouraging! I'm excited about breaking bread with Chris and Berry Girl and other real life friends and family.
Man oh man...can we come??? We love such things as well and have been so sad these past few years that my husband has been unable to use his musical gifts in a way similar to what you describe, as he used to be able to at our old church where such things were done (often) and even celebrated! We'd be there in a heart-beat if we were nearby.;)
We're really looking forward to having some land someday and speak often of hosting just what you described. I pray that you are able to see it through and that the Lord is heartily glorified through such an endeavor.
We belong to a great teaching church. Solid. Sound. Inspired. But still sometimes dry. I so get what you are driving at here and I am challenged by the same.
Why did last week feel so real and authentic? Why does the regular sometimes feel contrived? More questions to myself than to you, but I was so profoundly affected by the sharing circles as well (and had called them contrived at the beginning of the week). Making me think, for sure. Can we join your circle? I feel a longing for the same kind of fellowship and not sure yet how that will play out for us where we are at...
My4blessings, yet another reason for you guys to move to "you know where" (with an s on the end of course- sorry folks, inside joke). You know the farm behind us is up for sale. If you guys aren't game I think I'm gonna try to convince Savannah to move up here ;D... I have GREAT neighbours but you can never have too many great neighbours now can you?
SO tempting!!! For SO MANY reasons!! My husband asked if the above mentioned land-with-fabulous-rare-to-find-like-minded-neighbors could be held for a few years, let us save some more money, and we're SO THERE. ;) Yeah, so about that godliness with contentment is great gain and all that....hmpf;)
Thanks for your sweet comment over at our place. I responded. Just for kicks ;)
Post a Comment