Thursday, December 18, 2008

Me on Miracles and Magic and Tales of Intrigue

In a discussion with friends recently I shared how sometimes I fear I have been too realistic with my kids. Prairie Guy was there and he nodded and confessed to being even more of a realist than yours truly. This comment stemmed from us never having even considered (seriously, the topic just never came up for either of us, it was a no brainer) introducing Santa to our Christmas celebrations after kids came along. We didn't have to have some big debate about why or why not, seriously, it just wasn't even a consideration.

When I ask why, the only answer I can seriously come up with is....that same word. Why? Why would we? Now, let me state out and out that I'm not making an "argument" here... not out to "pooh-pooh" Santa celebrators... this is just me being me in my little corner of cyberspace, cause if I can't be me and authentic then I better shut up and close shop. Okay? So don't go getting out any shields, this is not an attack, it's just ME. Breathing again? Okay then... moving right along... Why indeed? As I look around and see some light banter and some not so light banter on the oohs and boos of Santa I just watch and ponder. Mostly what I see is people saying "why not? It's surreal and magical and holds such warm memories and brings out the child in everyone."

I guess this is why we don't celebrate Santa then... because we already HAVE a surreal and magical tale of intrigue that we are celebrating that holds warm feelings and brings out the child in everyone. It's called the Nativity. The story of the King of all Creation who laid His glory aside and took on humanity, and poverty, to draw near His people in their own impoverished humanity. The real life story of the Prince and the Pauper, so full of intrigue and mystery and magic and miracle... angels and wise men, shooting stars and a virgin with child.

Upon further reflection I have come to the conclusion that I am NOT actually a realist in the strictest sense of the word. Because I am as big a proponent of mystery and miracle and magic as anyone, God knows I am a die hard sentimentalist and romantic.... it's just that when one is so caught up in the ultimate and REAL tale of intrigue, well... what need has one of a poor counterfeit? Who needs elves when one has angels? Or flying reindeer when one has a meteor declaring a King's birth to an entire continent? Or the North Pole when one has heaven coming to earth. Or Santa making his one night fly by when one has the King of Kings and Lord of Lords coming to make his home among men? My heart thrills at all the magic and mystery and miracle of Christmas, thrills to bursting. There's just no *room* for Santa.

So of this I am now convinced, I'm no realist... but my tale of intrigue? Surreal and magical and most marvelous of all... is true... and it ain't over. The happy ever after is yet to come, the tale is yet being played out with each quavering, anticipatory breath we take. He came... and He's coming back... and we will celebrate His first coming while anticipating His next. And heaven knows He won't be coming on a sleigh led by flying reindeer. The only hoof beats we're listening for are the thundering hooves of a rockin' white stallion. And instead of preparing cookies and milk, we'll be preparing our hearts to offer Him some crowns.

22 comments:

Katrina said...

YES! I love this! Wow, I know I've said it before but though I may get a little repetitive, I'll say it again... your writing is SO descriptive! Makes me excited just to read it! So, so, true... there's just no room for Santa. Now, as you know, we do have a St. Nicholas celebration because we are dutch and I like that it keeps "Santa" out of Christmas Day. But my kids still make a big deal about it being a Christmas thing from hearing it from there friends. Have your children done this and, if so, how have you dealt with that?

Unknown said...

Love the wording, reasoning to leave Santa out of your holiday traditions. We always felt the same - no reason to include a counterfeit when we are honored to know the true King of the Universe. In Jesus!

Anonymous said...

Well, from someone who does have Santa in the mix, I LOVE this post! I think Santa does add to the fun for a young child, but I don't think he's necessary. Truly, I kind of think for families of believers he's almost an awkward tack-on that can make things harder. The central figure of our Christmas celebration is definitely Him whose birth we celebrate.

Unknown said...

We never have done St. Nicholas or anything like that. It's a long story that I won't go into but suffice it to say that Prairie Guy is what I fondly refer to as hyper-sensitive to saint commemoration having grown up evangelical in the shadows of the Vatican and patron saints.

I thought your whole Sinter Klaas celebration was a great way to keep Santa out of Christmas and to commemorate the life of a generous and godly man who truly lived out the spirit of giving. In all honestly, your post sparked a light of desire to get on the St. Nicholas bandwagon, but I snuffed it out pdq. =)

I haven't really researched Saint Nicholas fairly... I am always a bit of a skeptic as to what is truth and what is legend... I am curious to look into it more though.

Unknown said...

Nancy, "phew". wiping the sweat off my brow here. I wanted to be real but was scared to be at the same time. Didn't want to have to dodge Santa bullets. Thanks for liking Santa and still liking me *wink*.

Mac an Rothaich said...

I can agree with that post:)

Nadine said...

Funny we never did the Santa thing either and got lots of flack for it. We never were anti-Santa but we had a birthday cake for Jesus and spoke to our kids about St. Nick. I loved your post.

Isle Dance said...

Good for you for doing what's right for you! Excellent!

:o)

Dawn said...

We do Santa, but it is almost an "Oh, yeah... and then there's Santa" type of feeling. It's one of those things we did because we were both raised with it. But it certainly isn't central to our Christmas celebration.

And, yes... I still like you, too!

Blessings!

Chris said...

I love the simple way you can make the truth so compelling and fabulous. I love that you challenge me to keep Christ in everything I do, with me whatever my circumstance, and bringing my boys with me to the feet of Jesus as I discover what He's gently showing me.

Leanne said...

Beautifully written, we did the Santa thing in the past with our 1st child until he was 5. But I always struggled with it. We no longer have room for "Santa" either. I explained that the "original" Santa gave because of his love for Jesus and that is where the Santa thing came from. And yes, I do have things with Santa on them and even enjoy songs about the jolly old fellow, but Christ is our focus (not just at Christmas ...but everyday. Leanne

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

I'm right with ya. Our kids always know that Santa isn't real, but just for fun. We mainly focus on Jesus' birth during Christmas.
I'm not anti Santa but make sure he stays in his place in the festivities.
We tell our kids to not ruin it for any of their classmates, they are not to spoil the Santa secret ... ever! There are some parents very serious about it and that is their choice.
I love the image of Santa bowing before the manger worshiping Jesus! I have that on my blog.

The McMurrays said...

Totally tearing up here..so, so beautifully put!!!!! We feel the same way ~ "Santa" was and will always be a non-issue, but I couldn't have articulated the "why" part nearly as perfectly as you did...AMEN!!!! :) Hugs from all FOUR of us McMurrays...!! ;)

Joy said...

I really love this post! Great to hear that you don't have "room" for Santa when so many expecially at Christmas don't have room for "Jesus" the only reason for the season. IF you were to ask my neice she would tell you "Santa is just a bunch of stinking trash!HA" We don't do the Santa thing either and we really haven't ever, oh we like to listen to secular Christmas music yes, but if you were to ask my children about Santa they would tell you he is just pretend and Jesus is real I love that! At first I didn't know what to do about Santa seeing that I myself believed in Santa until I was about 5 or so. So one day while I was pondering on it someone in my close family kept telling my oldest child when she was so small that "You better be good or Santa won't bring you anything" and "Santa Clause if watching you!" I just got disgusted at this I guess. I told her then at such a young age maybe 2-3 "Santa is NOT watching you but Jesus is!" I didn't want to put a whole Santa can control and is looking out for you spin on Christmas or anytime of the year. I wanted mine to know that we give presents at Christmas because of Jesus' birthday and that Jesus so graciously blesses mommy and daddy with the money to buy these such presents. I also wanted mine to see it is better to give than recieve (still working on that one HA!) and not that Christmas is just getting getting getting from Santa. Now I don't look down on Santa either..I even let mine talk about him listen to songs and we may even have a santa or two on our tree but they know where his place is and it is NOT in the center of Christmas! He is a fairy tale like any other fairy tale that we read. We try our best and make sure the children don't spoil anyone else's secret of Santa though I tell the kids to be respectful that this is Our decision only not that is every one elses.
Thanks for this! I love it! I love how you explained it...gave me some thought too.
Joy

In The Masters Hands said...

Oh How I love your writing, You have such talent. I think that you have written this beautifully and I agree with you 100% My husband and I have also decided to leave behind the whole santa thing, Not because I think it is evil but because I don't think it neccessary, Like you said who needs a counterfeit when you have the real thing in Jesus, and in all honesty what else do we need, He is our everything.

Aimee said...

awesome awesome post...so well written! We have never been anti-Santa...it just never crossed our minds to do it. It felt contrived and so artificial and everything about Christmas to me is REAL. I love how you said that "there's just no room for Santa"...there's just not for us either! Too complicated and too much and too distracting. It doesn't bother me that others do it at all...it's just not us.

Berry Girl said...

yeah, we are the same here. It just NEVER crossed our minds, and until Berry Boy reached preschool, he had no idea who Santa was (lol). To each their own, obviously, but I love the way you have put it here.

Moms In Need Of Mercy said...

Great, great post! I even had my husband read it ;) He liked the white horse part. I think you should save this and send it somewhere next year for freelance publication...maybe Focus on the Family or something like that. I'm sure they'd snatch it up! My mother-in-law (who is a Christian, by the way) was just telling/lecturing us how we should give our kids the "magic" and "wonder" of the whole Santa thing...but you summed it up perfectly--why do they need that when they have the wonder and awe of the TRUTH of Christ coming as an infant. Besides, someone once said that if you teach your kids to believe in Santa and one day tell them the truth that it was all a fictious lie, is it harder for them to then trust that you are telling the truth about Christ?? I thought that was a good point. I'd like to spare my kids the misery of the "revelation time" that Santa was a fraud. I remember being devastated when I found out the truth...

Tricia said...

I just love how you have explained yourself! And I agree with you wholeheartedly!

Last night we went out for a "nite-nite" walk through the neighborhood looking at Christmas lights. We walked by one house that had a big Santa out front and one of my boys said, "Mommy, don't they know that Christmas is not all about Santa Claus, it is about Jesus." That just made my heart melt... then a little later we walked by a house very simply decorated with a nativity scene, and one of my gasped and said, "Oh, Mommy, look a manger!" From the way he said it, it was the one that most excited him... my heart was overflowing with joy and with thanksgiving, for my children "get it" on the level that they are able to understand right now!

Blessings!

Prairie Girl said...

I think christmas is magical the way it is,
reading the story of the birth of Jesus is my
favorite story, besides I think Santa is boring. Christmas isn't about Santa,it's about the birth of the King born in a manger,isn't that amasing the King born in a manger!what's so amasing about Santa? Santa is fake. Jesus is real.

Anonymous said...

Awesome truth. If our hearts fail to thrill at the wonder of the Nativity, we'd be better off pressing in to find it again than replacing it with a cheap substitute.

Unknown said...

I had to come back and comment again. After showing this to my husband he was so inspired he has called me twice today to get your web address to share with guys where he works. Thank you again for making the magic of Christmas so eloquent! By the way, he has now read several of your posts and loves the way you have done advent - we usually only do the 4 candles. We are inspired in every way - encouraged and refreshed! Blessings in Jesus!