Monday, December 22, 2008

Mule Headed Pharaoh... and Martha

thoughts from the devotional corner this morning....


Wow. Pharaoh is about as stubborn as they come, huh? But I was convicted while reading that I can be pretty mulish and hard headed myself. I've fallen into what I call "Martha Mode" again through the course of this week, where I get hectic and "planner" oriented, and squeeze my quiet time with the Lord right out of the day planner. I justify and support it by saying, "Lord, I am always with you... I'm talking to you right now while I'm *doing* this thing on my list..." yeah right. I know sometimes my husband just takes me by the hand, pulls me over to the couch, sets me down, pulls my feet up into his lap and makes me sit. Just to be with him. It's beautiful, and I love it. I picture it the same with God. Yes, there is the momentary interactions as I go about my duties, He is always there, and I can always approach Him. But that moment made to just sit quietly, with my feet in His lap as it were, is extra special. It shows the intimacy and priority of the relationship. That I am hearing and responding to his invitation of; I *want* to be with you. I *want* your full attention. I *want* you to look me in the eyes and just experience ME for this moment.

I got that moment this morning. I made that moment. And I wasn't disappointed. I never am. So I don't know why I get all stubborn and mule headed and start to justify it when I turn away from it and let other things fill that space. Like Martha, "But Lord!" No, Martha. Mary had her priorities straight. She wasn't going to let hustling and bustling get in the way of her sitting at the Master's feet and soaking up His words and presence. And neither am I.

9 comments:

Berry Girl said...

*sigh*
unfortunately, I can commisserate (sp?) - identify - all too well with this.
and it's not going to get any better today as I plan and pack and make pie (thank you my dear brother for asking LAST NIGHT if I could make your Christmas complete and bring PIE...which I DON'T currently have on hand in the freezer...because I've taken a bit of a pie-hiatus)
*deep breath*
Am now going to go carve out some time for what's important.
Thanks PC.

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

Thanks for this thought. I'm so trying not to be caught up in the bustle of it all... but at times I let those moments of sitting with my feet up on His lap pass me by.
You've given me something to ponder and act on today.

Dawn said...

Ahhh... thanks for the reminder.

It's busy around here, too, as I prepare for my parents to arrive from Ohio. I (quite literally!) just finished typing up to-do lists for my kids for today and tomorrow (my kids are teens and I've found it works better to just hand them a list of things to do and the "deadlines" rather than barking orders at them) as well as my own to-do list and a grocery list.

So, to say that your post was well-timed would be an understatement!

Blessings!
Dawn

Mac an Rothaich said...

Well, this holiday I have been taking a holiday but that is because I was in Martha mode a lot before the holidays... It was getting bad enough that my husband also stepped in. He wrote me a note that basically said 'take a page out of Mary's book honey... not Martha's... for the sake of your relationship with Christ and then me and then the kids... for your own sake...I'm hypoglycemic and don't need x-mas baking... we don't need x-mas events and stuff, we need the mommy of the house...' OHHHH he made me cry and so did your post... I miss Jesus... I miss quiet with him so this holiday is for him and not for my wish list!

Unknown said...

I love that man of yours, Becky (in the most brotherly sense). He is truly such a deep water fellow. I miss being blessed with his reflections and insight. Missing Jesus is such a wonderful thing, it's the first step to great blessing! May you be blessed with much of Him today and each day.

Nadine said...

It's a good reminder especially this time of year. May I be more of a Mary Lord and spend time in your presence. Thanks.

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

Don't have quite time enough to sit and read this but the title says it all!

Just cking in on you..stay warm!

Merry CHRISTmas!

Unknown said...

This was great!!

Chris said...

Awww.... pchick, you are the balm to my soul. I can't wait to hang out tomorrow, but for tonight, I'm going for my chair and my Bible for the much needed quiet time. Thank you for blessing, encouraging, and challenging me so often. Blessings.