It was not what I would call a peaceful morning. There was no peace in my home, there was no peace in my heart. Sunday mornings are often that way, sadly. If there is ever a time we are going to be short with one another and angry at the world, it's most likely a Sunday morning. I found myself begrudging sunday morning meeting once again. Coveting the sunday EVENING services I have heard tell of, how they invoke such a spirit of peace in the home and allow a family a wonderful PEACEFUL weekend that they can then go PEACEFULLY to church at 6:45 and truly "start the week" on the right foot. Sounds good to me. Sounds BETTER than good, sounds jolly well superb. Grumble, grumble, grumble as I make last minute food preparations for the fellowship meal, brush hair, tie sashes, pack bibles and diapers and bottles and, and, and ad infinitum. Grumble as I step out the door with my arms overloaded and my dress boots sliding over toy clutter strewn in the entryway. Yeah, I pretty much grumbled right into the door of church as prairie rugrat started crying the minute he saw the stairs leading to Sunday School. ARGH. I swear the Devil and his cohorts work overtime on Sunday mornings....
But then, a miracle happened. As it does nigh *every* Sunday morning. I walked in the door of my sunday school class. Breathed that big ole "we made it" sigh that is so familiar to all of us moms of littles, eased myself into a chair and basked in the smiles of dear faces. Home. And what came up in our lesson? Peace. The peace that passes understanding, the peace that comes from us having been made right with God. Peace that transcends all the chaos of earthly existence. Ahhhhhhh. Just saying the word a couple times makes me sigh and relax. Seriously, try it. I came out of Sunday school super encouraged and determined to walk in peace. Our thanksgiving service was truly something to invoke a thankful spirit. Thankful worship, thankful giving, and a sermon that really hit the ball right out of the ballpark and gave us some adrenaline to run on this week. After a scrumptious fellowship meal and some great banter we headed home on one of the most spectacular fall days your imagination could possibly conjure.
The trip home, and our little stops and forays along the way(we had full tummies and happy hearts, we were in no hurry!) can be aptly described in that one simple, magical word. Peace.
But then, a miracle happened. As it does nigh *every* Sunday morning. I walked in the door of my sunday school class. Breathed that big ole "we made it" sigh that is so familiar to all of us moms of littles, eased myself into a chair and basked in the smiles of dear faces. Home. And what came up in our lesson? Peace. The peace that passes understanding, the peace that comes from us having been made right with God. Peace that transcends all the chaos of earthly existence. Ahhhhhhh. Just saying the word a couple times makes me sigh and relax. Seriously, try it. I came out of Sunday school super encouraged and determined to walk in peace. Our thanksgiving service was truly something to invoke a thankful spirit. Thankful worship, thankful giving, and a sermon that really hit the ball right out of the ballpark and gave us some adrenaline to run on this week. After a scrumptious fellowship meal and some great banter we headed home on one of the most spectacular fall days your imagination could possibly conjure.
The trip home, and our little stops and forays along the way(we had full tummies and happy hearts, we were in no hurry!) can be aptly described in that one simple, magical word. Peace.
So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding. Romans 14:19
11 comments:
I love your photos! The farm is beautiful, the children are beautiful and you captured Sunday morning stress just right!
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
I deal with this too! Sundays are our hardest days of the week. Sunday mornings well they can be just plain awful...but then we get to church and get fed from Gods table and every minute of it is worth it. The pictures are beautiful!
Joy
My Sunday's are exactly the same way!! I'm glad we are not the only family struggling with the Sunday rush. Man alive by the time I get to Church I am ready for a nap! But... praise the Lord, He is waiting with His arms wide open to usher us into His presence as soon as we step through the Church doors. Love your photos and very happy that you got to drink in that fabulous fall weather(ahhh)! I love how beautiful weather and glorious trees bursting with color can lift your spirits and your mood!! Have a great day! (Love the Bible verses.) :-) Leanne
Ah-Maaazing photos! seriously, you should submit the fourth one down to a photo contest. breathtaking. I feel more peaceful just looking at it!
lol - I do believe I made that same *sigh* walking into Sunday School LAST week :) I don't know what it is about Sunday mornings - but I am SO snippy and crabby trying to just get to church in the morning.
But I felt the same way - after I get there, I always feel better...seeing friendly and loving faces, and having people who are happy that you've shown up.
Thank you for sharing all those verses about peace! God's Word is so good! Our Sunday started out like yours... I even commented to my family as we got out of the van on Sunday that maybe we should all just go back home... but we didn't and we were definitely blessed also by our service and the fellowship! Why do Sunday's have to be so hard...
Blessings!
Happy Thanksgiving! As always, your photos are beautiful.
Our home experiences the same phenomenon on many Sunday mornings, despite the fact that my kiddos are older and get themselves ready. We've learned to cover ourselves in prayer on Saturday night and immediately upon waking Sunday morning. I also started making more of an effort to prepare in advance on Saturday night - set the table for breakfast, make sure everyone's clothes are ready, etc. Every little bit helps!
Blessings!
Verses timely written! I love those verses on peace and the reminder is very fitting. Beautiful pictures. Keep up the good work!
Krista
Can totally relate:) It isn't easy getting a crew to church! It is such a blessing to have people there that love to see you cuz that makes it worth it... miss your church fam today:)
I totally get it, but...believe it or not....it is better than when the kids are older and have their own agenda. I remember the family sitting in the car waiting for the teenage daughter. You know those bangs took a long time to get sticking up just right (The 80's hair thing around here anyway). Then the teenage son was on a traveling ball team that traveled even on Sunday, so that was a battle. I can sigh with relief that that is all over and they made it all the way through. They loved church and youth group and went to Christain colleges. Now their faith is between them and their Heavenly Father. Those Sundays made a difference. No wonder Satan tries so hard.
Grammy, your last sentence so hit the mark. Wow. Talk about turning the light on to flush out those cobwebs.
Post a Comment