these fearful fowl fall short of invoking those same weak kneed, dopey eyed, warm fuzzies.
rather than thinking "run, turkey, run!" I'm just thinkin' "RUN" in the first person.
I'm pretty good at finding the beauty in most anything....
Jenni (ugly beautiful)... Tonia (oh befriender and redeemer of turkeys- and I have to admit, yours was stinking cute... I never got to see these ones from little, maybe that would have helped?)....
you're gonna have to help me out on this one.
15 comments:
Yes, I just pretty much think of dinner when I see these. With a side of dressing and mashed potatoes with gravy. A little cranberry sauce to top it off.
Not saying I could do the deed myself, though.
Blessings!
I have to agree with you. Are they yours? I haven't ever gotten the courage to raise turkeys...for the reasons you list.
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
*hee*
i told my husband that his mistake was only letting me get ONE turkey. maybe if i had a bunch, i wouldn't mind seeing one on the table.
unfortunately, we get to see turkey's personality - which is sweet and curious - and that makes it nearly impossible to think of eating him.
you enjoy your dinner, though. :)
well, I tried to post about this but it got deleted, wah.
an ode to two bottle fed babies, calves, that we raised to slaughter...
It is true if you see something from a young age you often forgive it for being ugly in old age and get to really see its personality. I never had a fondness for chickens till my brother hatched 'sput' and we raised her as a pet. She slept with our dogs and followed us around the yard. She was even in my uncles wedding that he had on our yard! (longer story needed)...
To this day, I can't look at chickens the same, I will still eat them cuz I enjoy the meat a lot and understand life but I also am a defender of chickens when people call them dumb and such... some breeds perhaps are but my little red hen was a smart cookie and I find so much beauty in chickens now (lol)!
I have a feeling I might feel the same way about turkeys if I had raised one... Yup, they are ugly though (LOL)!
great now I have more convictions..thanks chick!
gobble gobble...have you even thought of it this way..this is the sound they make ..and us to when we are eating it along side every Thanksgiving dish.. :0/
maybe it'll be tofu turkey this year..
I am going to take Tonia's word about the sweet part. Those really are faces only a mother could love! Having said that, I'm not sure I could make one of them Thanksgiving dinner!
Whew!! For a minute there I thought you were calling ME ugly-beautiful!
Which isn't all that far from the mark, really...but that's a post of it's own.
At any rate, I think your white turkeys are actually purdy in their own way. I just like to think they have a happy life up to the point that they become dinner.
*Dawn*; yeah... sometimes I think if I had to *do* the deed I wouldn't be eating meat either. But dh does the butchering, and I don't see it affecting his appetite. I can do *certain* things on butchering day, but it does not involve blood, guts, or plucking. Ew. Not that singeing pin feathers with a blow torch is white collar or anything....
*Linda*; no, they are not ours, they are our neighbours. Why raise turkeys when you can get 'em next door *hee hee*? and like I said, they scare me!
*Tonia*; LOL! I think Turkey (your turkey) is terribly endearing, and I'm glad you decided to keep him. I love that about you.
*Jenni*... splitting a gut over here over your chagrine. Silly goose. LOL!
I went over and looked at the baby turkey picture. It was sweet. Those mature white ones are not much to look at!!! We have a turey plant in our town. Not good. Bad smell! Trucks that sit on the lot full of Turkys. Alive, but not for long )O:
I find them horrifying to look at in a can't-take-my-eyes-off-you-because-you're-so-nasty kind of way. Like when you pass an accident on the road and you crane your neck to see if there's any carnage, even though you don't want to actually SEE carnage, but you can't stop looking anyway...
There's just nothing nice about those things - I saw those ones up close and alive and had no regret that they would become dinner :)
They just make me hungry! Yummy!
Turkeys are kinda cool. My mom raised some and they would come up and fluffy their feathers and preen at you. They like toenail polish and sparkly rings. I think they are kinda pretty and gentle sort of souls you gotta look at their eyes, LOL. Okay so maybe not all turkeys are this way, but my moms were.
Amy
hey...email me through my profile page if you are on facebook so I can add you as a friend :)
Post a Comment