Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sterilization

Since I was canning tomatoes today, which require a lot more care than high acid fruit jellies and jams, I spent WAY too much time researching (never canned tomatoes before, wanted to be sure I did it RIGHT you know.)

It would appear such a thing as quick, no mess sterilization exists only in my wildest dreams. If you do a google search MANY women use the microwave for sterilizing their jars, just as many use the dishwasher and have for years, but according to people who know their stuff (I'm talkin' biologists people).... true and fail safe sterilization requires 1o minutes at a minimum of 120 degrees. This leaves two options, 1. the boiling method, 2. the oven steamed method,

But then there is an illusive and mysterious number 3. something called Campden tablets which are a chemical substance you crumble into your water, and rinse the jars in. I'm thinking I need to learn more about this... I'll keep you posted... for today I went back to the oven method, and it's really not all that bad. I guess it's do or die....

5 comments:

Berry Girl said...

hmmm...this almost makes me less afraid to make jelly :) I have a small load of grapes from the MIL and if I don't juice them and make jelly SOON I will be ashamed forever (lol) I just threw them in the freezer b/c I am just too intimidated to juice them and make the jelly - first I have to figure out HOW to juice them, THEN what do I do with the jars etc?
I'm not a very good prairie farm wife ;)

Prairie Chick said...

check out this....

http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipes/grape-jelly-86727.aspx

Berry Girl said...

well, that couldn't be simpler (lol) THANKS!

Berry Girl said...

have I said lately that you're awesome? :)

Prairie Chick said...

Thank you.... thank you very much (said in a gruff Elvis impersonation). BUT... bad news folks.

*Apparently* (like according to biologists with bunsen burners and autoclaves) TRUE and fail safe sterilization requires 120 degrees at a minimum of 10 minutes and microwaves don't meet the grade as they don't heat higher than 100. sigh.

Oh, and I will bring you my food mill tomorrow so that you don't have to do the pillow case thing, which I personally hate for some reason....