Tuesday, October 14, 2008

ESPECIALLY Thankful 287 & Counting

This week marks a year in blogging for me. Over the year I have tried to analyze my heart here, why do I blog, what, if anything, do I hope to achieve? Only as you travel a road, and take turns, do you start to see the destination that you didn't have in your sights when you began. This morning my devotional exhorted;

"Try to write through your life. In his fine autobiographies, Frederick Buechener advises us to listen to our lives, to seek those patterns and rhythms of meaning that we often miss in the living of life but can discover on looking back. Our lives are filled with significance- if only we have eyes to see. Tell stories. We love to hear stories because they are mostly about human beings surviving trouble. And we all need the encouragement that comes from discovering that others have been afflicted as we and have found a way to the other side. In stories are pain and struggle and failure but also laughter and wisdom and grace. Your stories will have these things as much as anyone's and you do not have to be good with words to tell them powerfully.

A final word of advice- write letters and tell stories that are ultimately affirming. Don't settle scores or preach old sermons. Children are flesh of our flesh and bone of our bone. Their lives are and will be difficult- as yours may have been-and they need all the encouragement they can get. They might also need a kick in the seat, but there are many ways to give them that. Speak to them words of encouragement and love. They will learn thereby to speak such words to others. In writing on what you care about to those you love, yo
u will enrich the world eternally. " Letters to My Children, Daniel Taylor.

Wow. I love that. This is what I desire for my virtual "home" here on the world wide web. A journal of God's faithfulness, my growth in faith, and an outspilling of the peace and love and joy He is planting and bringing to fruit in me. Thanks for making "me" a stop in your day, and for blessing me with your friendship and smiles along the way. It warms my heart to think that if tomorrow I were to be taken, my kids would always have access to so much of me, in a very living way right here in these words and pictures that express each day what matters to me.

Yesterday was Canadian thanksgiving. I truly think this has to be my favourite "holiday". Maybe because consumerism hasn't stolen it and turned into a materialistic gong show. Maybe because it's about acknowledging all we *have* as gifts and recognizing where they come from. Maybe because it's simple and the true sweetness of it is not tarnished by a kazillion distractions. Fall colours, fall smells, fall food, and a day to kick back and just *be* thankful.

We talked yesterday about the general rule that the more you have, the less thankful you tend to be. Almost like "things" desensitize us. I truly believe this. Rooms full of toys distract from the adventure and joy of His gifts in nature. Televisions, books, mp3's, they so easily take over and "crowd out" the stillness where we can "experience" Him in the quiet, see His touch in the everyday things that surround us. I realize I'm rambling, just some disjointed thoughts from the past few days. In closing, here is my "pictorial thanksgiving" and just a few of the many, many things I am thankful for on a daily basis.


287 This Farm.

288 This Fam.
289 These kiddos

290 This Man.
291 This Welcome Addition.

292 These great folks, who love us and bless us and enrich our lives.

293 His Peace. 294 And Presence. 295 And Patience. 296 And Promises. And.....

297 Health, 298 Amazing Friends, 300 a Phenomenal Church Family, 301 Plenty, 302 Hope, 303 Joy, 304 Grace,305 Peace, 306 Love, 307 Full Freezers, 308 Full Pantry, 309 Full Hearts.

For these amazing and beautiful gifts I am truly and thoroughly thankful.

15 comments:

Linda said...

Thank you, sweet girl, for sharing your thankful heart and your thoughts on blogging. I have struggled with the "value" of it time and time again. This gives me a bit more clarity. Just this week in my Bible Study we read in the Psalms where the Lord instructs the people to tell the stories to the children so that they will not forget God's faithfulness. In essence, that is what we are doing.
The pictures are beautiful, as always.

Dawn said...

Congratulations on your one year of blogging. I have so enjoyed the glimpses into your life and world. The beauty of your pictures inspire me while your words both affirm and challenge.

Blessings upon you and yours!!!

Berry Girl said...

:)
Love it.
(Love the new layout too)

Mac an Rothaich said...

Wow, a year of blogging! Mine anniversary will not be till January:) The layout is very nice! The post was very good, love the quote about why you and how one should write. It is how I look at my journals and now my blogs. I really want my kids to gain the right stuff from them:)

grammy said...

Beautiful as usual. Your oldest girl is looking so grown up and pretty. So do you have TV and all those other destractions you mentioned? I faught against them (of course we had TV but it was limited) at one time in life, and it was easier when my kids were small. (Youngest is 23) Easier because we didn't have cable and computers and cell phones and stuff... STUFF. Well we did have a computer game but the boys would rather be outside. Just thinking. (O:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I enjoyed this post! I love what you wrote about blogging. I sometimes wonder what in the world I'm doing with a blog, but what you wrote in this post is a very good reason to be keeping one. Your photos, as always are beautiful-- your family, the scenery, everything. It's relaxing just to look at them.

Congratulations on a year! Your blog is a treat for me.

Susan

Della said...

Happy Anniversary! Keep on rollin' out the good stuff!

Aimee said...

I am so glad that we have "met" and thought this was a wonderfully positive post...keep on writing and sharing your story!! :)

Chris said...

I love love love your pics and the thankful list. Can't wait to visit real time.

Leanne said...

Oh, I am so glad you started blogging a year ago. You have been such a blessing to me. Your honesty and sincere desire to live for the Lord are an encouragement to me. What a beautiful gift your children will have one day when they look back through the pages of your life. They are going to see their mother praising God for the blessings, the good times, the bad times and all the other times in between. Thank you for taking time to minister to each of us that read your blog. God has given you a gift for writing what you feel in your heart. Keep on using that gift for Him!
I love the new look! How did you do that? Leanne

Tricia said...

You have brought tears to my eyes... we have so very much to be thankful for, and far too often we take much of them for granted... I am asking God to make me more thankful on a daily basis.

I loved the quote you shared from your devotional... I have been feeling a little guilty lately that I have not been journaling as much in my hand written journal, but while reading your post God gently reminded me, that I am still journaling, just in a different form. Thanks!

I love the new look, and I love that I am a "sister chick", what fun!

Blessings!

Jenni said...

Beautiful post. I see you and I are having similar thoughts today. Similar but different too! I appreciate the extra insight you've added to my own musings. Happy Thanksgiving (every day) and happy blogiversary!

DayPhoto said...

Thank you for sharing, this is just wonderful, makes up for all the nasty stuff in the news.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

What a sweet and beautiful life your living in...wonderful shots praire ck.

Kay said...

wonderful post. I'm starring it (in my Google reader) to reread on the US Thanksgiving Day (in about 6 weeks).

Hugs~
K