
For a rockin' story of cows and divine steering pop over to the devotional corner.
For some stinkin' cute pictures and prose of my prairie poppets pop over to the family room.
And now a horror story for your reading pleasure. Yesterday as I was updating Prairie Portraits I noticed that The Hero's label was missing the article. It read, Portraits of Prairie Hero. It works, but didn't match the other labels that all contained the article A. So I pop over to my post editor, select all the posts in The Hero's label, add a new label with the article. Then delete the old label. Every single post vanished. Poof. Gone. No warning that there were photos in those posts that were going to be deleted and did I want to keep them stored, no nothin'. Just a split second vanishing act. Panic. I hoped against all hope that the LABEL had merely disappeared and the POSTS were still there, just not labeled, but no luck. I had seriously deleted every single post devoted to The Hero.
I rush over to my recycle bin, nothing. Desperately search blogger for information on deleted post retrieval... madly post help messages to the Sonlight forum (which is not your run of the mill homeschool curriculum forum, this forum can advise you out of ANY fix I tell ya... ANY.) and while I'm waiting for the emails to start comin' in from Sonlight I do a google search and find Vin. Okay, help is on the way. Seriously, this guy oozes confidence and reassuredness. Only problem being, apparently he wasn't home yesterday till 5 pm, and neither were any of the people who could help me over at Sonlight. For some reason I had this panicked impression that lost information was retrievable for only a short window of time (I had 30 minutes in my head) and I was not going to give up until those 30 minutes were passed. On Vin's site I saw that if your blog is open to Google searches there is a search you can do for your blogs cache and retrieve the posts that way. Oh delight. I thought my blog was open to google. Oh the remorse when I see in my settings that no, I had closed my Portraits to google search, because indeed, why would I want any Tom, Dick or Harry to happen upon it in their Google wanderings. People who know me and want to find it can find it through Prologue which is Google-a-ble. Anyway, that was no go.
The story does have a happy ending. I remembered that I had seen Portraits show up in Google Reader and that it actually has a "follower". A-Team, you don't know how happy I am that you clicked to follow that blog, because you did all the posts are saved in Reader and since the blog is not that old I was able to scroll through all the posts and copy the ones from The Hero and re-post them to Portraits. Can you imagine the horror? I'm only thankful that this happened early on in my blogging experience and not when I had hundreds of posts to that label. And as I mentioned to Dawn in a private email exchange yesterday, it would figure that this would happen to the posts of my MIDDLE child... the one I work extra hard to recognize and build up....
All that to say I spent considerably too much time at the computer yesterday and was preoccupied over at Portraits, so that's why I'm routing you over there today. I hope to start posting some fun Christmas stuff here soon, just simple, short recommendations for a meaningful and RELAXED celebration. Gift ideas, thrift decorating, focusing on the heart of Christmas, stuff like that. But today I need to be productive away from the desk.
13 comments:
Yes, Horror! My chest tightens in anxiety at the thought... all that time and effort down the drain! So glad you were able to work it all out. Hmmm... maybe I should do a backup on my blog right away!
P.S. This is the first time I've "popped" over to your other blogs. I didn't know what I was missing! These are beautiful! I especially love "the living room" and the "school room". What wonderful ideas! And as always, your pictures are amazing.
Love, love, love your sweet family and how you seek to edify them! Thanks for sharing!! :)
so glad to hear all of your meaningful ramblings on Hero's behalf was not lost. We love him too.
Glad to hear everything turned out well in the end.
I would have really panicked!
LOLOL - I had never really read that passage with the cows. How stupid! Guess we can't say that there's no humour in the Bible (lol). I love Hero, so glad this all worked out.
I love reading the sweet things you write about each of your children and even your husband. I feel like I know you all! I love how you take an ordinary thing and wrap it in beautiful words and present it to us as a gift to unwrap each day! You are such a blessing. Your blog touches the heart and I can sense how passionately you love life, your family, your friends, creation...but most of all how much you love HIM! Have a great day!! Leanne
So sorry you had such a time. Can you only imagine how hard any of that would be for me. Our commputer has been sick and I have missed it so much, which worries me that I would be so...attacthed to it. (o: I always love your pictures. I just posted some not so great pics of me and the girls and said I wish you could take our pics (o:
Oh, somethings are just awful. I had only popped over to the recipe blog, but NOW I can and will go to the others.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
going to go and check it out!
Leanne, that has to be the most beautiful thing anyone has ever said to me. Wow. Totally brought tears to my eyes! You guys are a gift to me. I cherish these virtual crossing of paths. Thanks for enriching my life.
Grammy, I'm comin' on over to check out those pics....
Glad it all turned out well... You'll have us all thinking twice before we hit any "delete" keys or commands! Ha!
Blessings!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. I'm always so blessed by all your posts and simply love the pics of your posse! They are so adorable. Blessings to you and yours during this Thankful season. Hugs to you.
Noreen
Post a Comment