Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Fruit Fritters


I called a friend at 9:15 this morning to ask her if she was coming to church for ladies brunch. While I was talking to her I was searching for berries in my freezer for the fritters I was going to make to bring to brunch at 10:00. Oh, and I live 10 minutes from church. She was quite amazed when I walked in with a bowl full of these babies fresh out of the pan. They are a popular and easy breezy baking treat that require very little prep/cooking time. Only problem is, one can never seem to make enough.

2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
2 cups frozen berries or finely diced firm fruit.
Oil to fry and confectioners sugar to coat

sift dry ingredients
beat eggs, add liquids
fold liquid into flour, adding flour to bind if neccessary (I usually add another half cup)
Add fruit

Drop by scant tablespoon (they swell, and need to be able to cook through the middle) into hot oil and deep fry for 2-3 min's per side until golden brown and slightly crispy. Serve hot. Let stand on paper towel for a few minutes then toss in confectioners sugar.

4 comments:

Berry Girl said...

GREAT. NOW I have the recipe. NOW what's to stop me from eating a kabillion of these with my coffee every day????? :)

Chris said...

aw, man.... what a day to miss! I've got to get my priorities in order.... can't wait to try them! (do you use a deep fryer or pot?)

Prairie Chick said...

*you* were missed. I do them in a large cast iron skillet, 8-10 at a time with enough oil to cover them by a third.

Shauna said...

I'm new here! What a great blog :) ♥ Hugs!