Thursday, November 20, 2008

Like Lists? (and other More Important Matters)

If you are anything remotely like me, you will go ga ga over this site. Seriously. For under $10.00 american I just got an unlimited years subscription to downloadable calendars, lists, schedules and planners. I have spent the past two days pouring over all the options to make photo calendars as gifts, family planning calendars, weekly chore lists for the kids. My heart is palpitating just talking about it. You can make your own special events calendar (with birthdates and anniversaries of all your family and friends) type 'em in and then insert the list into the calendar... upload your pics and choose what photo format size you want. Print index card calendars to make desk top calendars, on and on..... It's insanely fun. Since we had decided to MAKE christmas presents this year rather than contribute to the billions of dollars America spends on material excess at this time of year, I am just ecstatic about this. I'm killing a whole lot of birds with one stone. Creating gifts that involve my passions (pictures) and planning (calendars).

Not to mention it has meal planners, academic planners, to do lists, bill tracking.... oooh... I can't even stop gushing. Seriously, this totally revs my engines. Check it out at Quick Calendars
(Berry Girl, make sure you're seat is firmly planted on your chair, this is gonna knock your socks off.)

And I've been meaning to post this vignette here for those of you who haven't seen it yet. It was instrumental in our decision to "buy" less and "give" more and really DO something about all our talk of "taking back Christmas" this year. Sometimes it takes a jolt to wake a person out of their culture induced stupor. This did it for us.

11 comments:

Berry Girl said...

oh. my. word.
I am having heart palpitations just LOOKING at that site (lol)

Leanne said...

I loved the video clip, I will be thinking on that today! I will have to subscribe to the quick calendars thing, it looks like so much fun!!! Have a great day, we are off to the skating rink. Leanne

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

I've got that video posted..and it does help to watch and remember..

Joy said...

Oh me! I love list too and that site is awesome!
Loved the video!
We too have decided to make instead of buy Christmas presents and well we are very excited about it! We have decided to celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas this year differently than we have in the past. I have made it a point to focus on Thanksgiving then Christmas instead of just jumping in front of a very important Holiday to satisy my Christmas urges! This is my favorite time of the year and I want my children to have good memories of family and friends instead of things. Thanks for the clip and the site!
Joy

Anonymous said...

You might be my new favorite blog!! I love your stuff and I am right there with you and the video. I'm involved already with Blood:Water Mission which has the same cause. I will definitely be posting the video on my blog soon. I feel much the same about the crazy consumerism...

Dawn said...

You know I love lists and calendars, etc... Looking at this site just made me realize how many more lists I could make! Ha!

Amen and amen to the video! One reason I do shop throughout the entire year is so that I am purchasing the "perfect" gift (and usually at a sale/clearance price) rather than spending money on useless gifts at the last minute. And, like you, a large portion of our gifts to family and friends is home baked goods and photos of the kids and their activities from the year.

Then, as a family we decide on a cause, individual or family to gift with our "savings."

Blessings!

In The Masters Hands said...

The site with all the list and stuff makes me tired. I don't wnat anymore to do lists, Ha Ha (I am sooooo not a good list maker, I make them and then never get anything done on them because of everything else that comes up) But I really respect and admire you guys who make them work, If only I could be more like ya'll. I too saw the video the other day and I liked its message as well, My family and I have also decided to make Christmas more about Christ and less about stuff. Have a great day. Brandie

Tricia said...

That is a great video, and I am going to check out this quick calendar thing, it sounds like something I will love!

Linda said...

I am getting excited about Christmas!! I've seen that video on other blogs, and I think there are going to be some very special celebrations this year.
Last year my husband and I decided that instead of getting gifts for each other (we can never even think of what to get!) we would give to a charitable organization. I confess that at first this girl who loves to get gifts felt just a twinge of disappointment - awful I know. However - once we sent off that check I felt so blessed. The best thing is how far the money goes!! You can do so much with so little - and even more with a lot!!
Thanks so much for posting this. I know you are going to have great fun making Christmas gifts.

Chris said...

loved this. I pressed play with a lump in my guy wondering if I would be guiltified by what I saw... shows you I must already need to change a few things, heh?

We have made one neat change to Christmas on one side of our family... this year we have a photo challenge. We are swapping names as couples, and taking photos as gifts... for the parameters and suggestions, email me... love to share them... this was a great thoughtful gift exchange that I hope becomes a tradition.

The money saved on gifts, packaging and shipping will go a long way to make someone's life different. Now... a rabbit? A pig, a goat? A small business loan for an enterprising woman? A well? the possibilities are nearly endless.

Leanne said...

Hey Chris, just thought I would let you know you put "a lump in my guy" , I am sure you meant gut, but it was pretty funny. HaHa Leanne