Thursday, November 6, 2008

Did You Know....

that bull moose antlers grow at the rate of about 1/2 an inch (ONE POUND!!) a day to a maximum weight of 80 lbs per year?

that antlers can not be referred to interchangeably as horns because antlers are shed and horns are not? (rather obvious, but not sure I had ever clearly thought about that!)

That kelp grows 18 inches a day up to 200 feet tall?

That sending kids outside to find 30 samples of moss, lichen, algae and fungi is a great way to provide a quiet reprieve in the middle of a hectic day? =)

I love science.

3 comments:

Della said...

I love science too, especially in a homeschool setting. My kiddos made constellations using sparkly stickers the other day...the only problem...they did it on my wall and connected the stars with orange crayon. My son drew the entire solar system this morning...on the side of the bar in red crayon...something tells me I should put the crayons under lock and key...

Prairie Chick said...

oh wow. i am laughing so hard over here and I know, that it isn't remotely funny when those things happen here, but it is terribly cute in hindsight... little stinkers. smart little stinkers.

Della said...

Oh, no. It was very funny! We just painted the living room and that wall. Daddy probably wouldn't have been amused, but I've learned in my relatively short time as a mother that you have to let things like that go and see the humor. Not to say I always laugh when they do things like that, but I strive.