Thursday, November 6, 2008

Ready, Aim, Shine


Okay, I apologise that I commented on the fly yesterday in the midst of a very busy day and left alot of you hanging with questions as to the "horn blowing" metaphor. I will try to explain it better here.

I listened to that video yesterday and I wept. Not for sadness over the lies being spread, not for pain for the woman who lost her child, not for frustration and anger over the false gospel that was being "condemned". I wept for the beauty of the truth in the words that he shared that the suffering mother could share after losing her child. You are enough, you are my portion, you are all I desire. It was absolute beauty and TRUTH.

Sometimes, we look at a message and of course, in order for truth to be taught, the counterfeit has to be presented alongside it. It's logical, that in order for *this* to be true, *that* must be false. BUT. I have come to realize that in my life for so many years I would shine the spotlight on the counterfeit. I would want to almost blow it up, examine carefully all it's defects, shine a spotlight on it's grotesqueness for all the world to see. "That's so wrong!" "That's so ugly!" That's such a LIE!" you know what I mean? But what I am coming to learn (albeit very slowly) is that if I shift position (tilt the camera position slightly if you will- thanks Ree!), I can get a much more beautiful picture. I can be a harbinger of peace and hope and positive influence by merely shifting the focus of my spotlight onto what is "right, pure, holy, good, edifying". Instead of turning its glare on the negative aspect of the "false" gospel, search out and aim for the beautiful, positive truth of the authentic gospel.

This may be one of those "preposterous" things that makes sense to noone but me in my own head... I'm not sure I am doing it justice in explaining it. All I know is that I suffered depression and anxiety for years by having my focus on the negative. Now that I am conscious and intentional to search out the pure, good, edifying things I am able to walk in a spirit of peace and hope and worship that changes the way I look at everything. For this little corner of the world (wide web) that is my virtual home, I hope to be able to practice that and envelope others in that same "light" when they drop in here. I want it to be a place where light is shone on the beauty that is Him and His truth and I don't want the counterfeit to be stealing His limelight.

So.... all that to say that the last comment I made over there was just my attempt to shift the spotlight. I taught kids club last night and one thing I exhorted the kids to do is to make sure their words build up and do good. Also to think of their speech as having the power to be beautiful music, or screeching fingernails on a chalkboard. Sometimes we (adults) think we are "doing good" by tearing down bad. I think if we just concentrate on building up, the bad will crumble and decay of it's own accord. I could be totally off.... it's just the personal journey I'm on right now and one of the blogging guidelines I have set for myself in the upcoming year.

What do you think? Am I missing something here? Do you get where I'm coming from?

15 comments:

Jenni said...

I think you are amazingly eloquent and I think I know where you are coming from! I too struggle with negativity and cynicism and it is such an effort to focus on the positive. Thank you for making your blog here such a sweet oasis of beauty through Him who is Most Beautiful.

Della said...

I'm with you here. I don't want my children to see me always griping about the way things are, however I want them to see the hand of God in all things. True, we must recognize that things are not always pleasant, but we must not stay focused on the negative or we'll lose sight of the Savior and fall into despair, thus drifting from God which is a bad place to be. Amen!

Mac an Rothaich said...

Sounds good.

My man and I talked about your last blog and we ended discussing definitions.

God defines neither suffering or prospering as evil. Everything that comes from him is GOOD and so suffering can be proserous for us (all things work out for our good) and if God gives to us it is also part of him plan for our Spiritual health and prosperity.

Both sides of prosperity only and suffer only are not totally right because the focus is on the physical and often money and stuff. Christ focuses on our hearts! He know what we need and when for our hearts prosperity...

I appreciated that video so much because who are we to look at others who are suffering and say 'you haven't got enough faith!' or look at those who are visibly being blessed and say 'you aren't spiritual enough to suffer!' WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE SPIRIT IS DOING IN THEIR LIVES! WE ARE JUDGING BASED ON WHAT WE SEE and forgetting the unseen is more important. We hurt others so much when we focus on the things of this world and as well as hurt ourselves!

I don't know if I shared that clear enough... it is hard to share an encouragment on line as so much is lost in type but I wanted to share...

Jenni said...

I like your shift of position and focus. What does God's Word exort us to focus on?
Philippians 4:8:
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.

This is a verse I have to constantly remind myself of. Sometimes I'm very good at finding these things, but other times when all around me is darkness and negatives, I need a reminder.

The part of that video you mention about the mother's response touched me too. I can't imagine a time that would be more difficult to keep those things in mind.

Recently a good friend of ours lost his wife. My husband went to Ohio for her memorial service which was done at a local Bible fellowship in the area. At the service a letter that our friend had written was read (and copies were sent out to others later). I was amazed at how this man was able to pay tribute to his wife of 42 years and talk so openly about her, all the while keeping the hope of Christ's return in focus. During our recent trip to Ohio we spent some more time with him, and while he clearly misses her and grieves her loss, he is able to cope better than anyone I've ever seen in that position by keeping God's Word in his mind and keeping that hope before him.

I Thessalonians 4, after speaking of that hope says, "Wherefore comfort one another with these words." What a great comfort we do have in Christ and in the hope of his return! As we keep our eyes on that hope, we are able to handle even the most painful trials of life.

In The Masters Hands said...

I agree with you as well, as I sometimes get angry with the fact that so many are being decieved, and while I don't think it is wrong to be that way, It is not right to always look at the negative side of things. I too like the verse Phil.4:8 I do believe that God wants us to think on the GOOD things of Him and not to focus on the things in which He will ultimetly take care of! I also believe that it is our jobs as children of God to spread as much of Gods Truth as we can and in doing so we will be able to stomp out the bad. satan is defintly doing his part to snuff out the truth, so it is so important that we do our part to Shout the Goodness and the true gospel of God to all the world and to not get caught up in the battles over false doctrines, but to just stand on "thus sayth the Word Of God", and in that we can never go wrong. I was also moved over the last part of the video,and the mother who was greiving,but in doing so she was giving God the glory in her time of anguish, this reminded me of Job in the bible who, through all his trouble, the loss of his children, the loss of his health, and wealth was still able to Give God the Glory!!!! What an example of true faith and belief in a Holy God who never fails! This also proves true that God is still God in all aspects of our lives. I have really enjoyed the encouragement and discussions here the last few days. I appreciate you and your stand for the things of GOD! Brandie

Unknown said...

*Becky* THIS.....

>>God defines neither suffering or prospering as evil. Everything that comes from him is GOOD and so suffering can be proserous for us (all things work out for our good) and if God gives to us it is also part of him plan for our Spiritual health and prosperity.

Both sides of prosperity only and suffer only are not totally right because the focus is on the physical and often money and stuff. Christ focuses on our hearts! He know what we need and when for our hearts prosperity...<<

was profound. Thank you so much for shining the light on that truth... I love it.

Jenni (in Kansas) that verse is one of my life verses, and was clearly in mind when I wrote the post even though I didn't quote it verbatim. Thank you for doing so, it is exactly the kind of spirit I am seeking to possess.

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

Understood..and
The Lord has given us thought for food, through you our sister in Christ, Prairie Chick as well as all the other commentors.

Amen~

Joy said...

I agree with you we are not to dwell on the negative. Sometimes it is hard to not get angry over all the deception that is going on in the church world about the gospel. It is great to know others want to shine the light on the TRUE GOSPEL. Our church youth group sings a song that is titled "Gods been Good" the second verse says "Times Replayed and I can see I have cried some bitter tears, though I felt his arms around me as I face my darkest fears. I've had more gains than losses and I've known more joy than hurt as his grace falls down upon me undeserved.
then
God has been my father my savior and my friend his love was my beginning and his love will be my end I could spend for every trying to explain how good he is...but the best way I can tell it is this
chorus
Gods been good in my life! I've been blessed beyond my wildest dreams as I go to sleep each night though I've had my share of hard times by my side hes always stood through it all Gods been Good.
sorry so long a comment...but God has been good will always be good because he is never changing. that is all I can really say Gods been good in my life! NO matter what happens in my life he will always be good.I pray that I teach my children what the genuine orginal is so that they will see a counterfeit when it comes calling because it will. I don't feel it is wrong to get angry over the deception. In Ephesians chpt 4 Paul is writing to the church of Ephesus and teaching how to deal with anger as a christian he says in chpt 4 vs 26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: So while it is ok to be angry at the deception that is taking place today and the sadness of those being decieved, however as a christian it is important and vital on how we ourselves deal with the anger. To be angry is ok but to sin in your anger is not. In saying that I also agree that we do not need to dwell on that anger and put that energy towards spreading the true gospel "Thus saith the word of God"
Joy

Leanne said...

I know exactly where you are coming from.

I loved the camera illustration, it was very fitting.

Philippians.4:8 is a verse that instructs us how to talk to OURSELVES.We are constantly talking to ourselves, but we sometimes don't even notice what we are saying. With negative thoughts coming at us from all directions he is instructing us to filter out the negative and allow the positive to penetrate our thinking. Jesus is definitely focused on the condition of the inner man, not our external wealth or health. He may allow us to have good health or even a little wealth but that is not the telltale sign of His presence in out life.

Linda said...

I am trying to "get my bearings" after spending a few days at the hospital with my Mom and Dad (he is home now and doing well).
I've seen this video before. It makes me weep each time. We have had such devastating health problems in our family that continue today and stretch into the future. I have had to come to terms with this in a gut-wrenching way.
When the health problems began we were attending a church where many of the people believed in this prosperity gospel fervently. We - they - prayed for healing for us. Over and over again we prayed, and nothing changed. Well meaning people suggested that our faith was not strong enough. Others said we should examine our lives and hearts for unconfessed sin. It all served to sink us into a pit of doubt and hurt.
It took a long time to make our way back to truth. We've been dealt blow after blow in this area of our lives. We received test results a few years ago that absolutley pulled my already tattered faith out from under me. I was so disappointe, so disallusioned that I couldn't even pray for months. I had wonderful friends and family who prayed for us when we simply were unable to.
I finally came to the point where I had to surrender - really surrender - everything and everyone most precious to me. I had to choose Him - to trust in Him - no matter what the outcome. In that moment of surrender (which I've had to repeat numerous times) there came a peace I would never have imagined possible.
He is enough. On the days when it seems like I will be buried alive under the weight of it all, He comes with outstretched hands and offers to take the burden on Himself. If I am willing to let Him, He always, always does.
Do I pray for a miracle of healing? You bet. Do I love Him enough to trust Him to do what is best for my more precious that my own life family? Yes - finally, finally I do. Because He is good. Because He is all He promised to be. Because He is better than life.
You keep on shining the light on the positive dear heart. It edifies, encourages and sustains. We are meant to life one another's burdens - not engage in endless debate. I have found a simple trust is what He has been asking of me all along. It has been a long, difficult journey in reaching it. I do love Him dearly. There is nothing more I coud wish for my family than His perfect will - because it is good.

Aimee said...

TOTALLY resonates...we are so much alike. Instead of always looking for what is false or deception, I have sought to live the last year simply focused on Jesus who IS Truth. I have sought to stay away from all negativity in books, blogs, etc and it has made a HUGE difference in my attitudes and in having joy and peace. I am actually more sensitive to negativity now and see more quickly how it erodes my spirit. I keep Phil. 4:8 on a notecard above my kitchen sink and I talk to my kids about that verse a lot. My anxiety/depression has taken a hike as a result too! And I try to end my day being thankful and grateful for specific goodness that happened that day...

Anonymous said...

Love your musings and thoughts...

Linda, I can totally identify with you...when I surrender, He is soooo quick to bring His peace, it is only when I am saying how unfair it is that I am off kilter and out of balance...isn't He so patient and merciful with us little sinners that He loves so supremely!

What does He teach us? To love Him above all...and I mean all...else....or we aren't worthy of Him....only He can do this beautiful work in us, it is unfathomable....I TRUST HIM!

Anonymous said...

forgive me for not reading all the comments...but just a quick moment to say that's what i do: search for beauty.

it's there all the time and when you look for it you are stunned by His goodness in every situation.

i think you're right on.

and i come from a long line of sour-faced, angry, bitter women. i asked God when i was still a teenager how to keep from walking in the same path...gratitude and prayer (col.4) is what He told me then and tells me nearly every day.

Unknown said...

wow ladies. I'm so moved by your sharing. Beautiful, beautiful fellowship happening here. Your thoughts, and experiences and hearts are precious to me. Thank you so much for opening up and joining me on this journey into the heart of the matter.

This is a battle I fight daily. I had a few moments today where I found myself in situations that brought discomfort, red flags, got my heart beating double (or possibly triple) time and I had to consciously "back away" from the conflict and pursue peace (in my own spirit). Truly obtaining that peace required me getting to the point where I could stop being outraged by what the people in question were saying and could find only love in my heart for them, true and compassionate desire for their spiritual good, and a spirit of prayer that truly sought to cover them and intercede for God's blessing (in the sense of His presence) and grace and empowering in their life which is what they (and I, and we all) need.

Although I feel emotionally fatigued by this "exercise" I also feel invigorated. I faced two challenges in the vein of what we have been discussing here, and conquered (thanks to prayer alone... nothing in me). And I know that Satan got a tail kicking and has backed off to look for some other unsuspecting prey. Because I am no longer unsuspecting. I get what the bugger's been up to for so long in me and I'm not falling for it anymore.

Love you gals.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just deleted a longish comment because I only have time to write hurriedly, and I'm afraid I might be communicating something I don't mean. Let's just say that, yes, I see exactly where you're coming from, and I'm completely with you on it!

CS Lewis said if you ask people what is the most important trait a person can have, most would say "selflessness." He says that is a negative approach, and a better, more positive one is to say "love." If you have love, you've covered selflessness and just about everything else. It's much easier to live taking this kind of positive approach than always trying to identify and extinguish all of the little negative things around us.

This was really interesting to read. Good stuff here!

Blessings today,
Susan