Monday, November 24, 2008

William Wilberforce and Amazing Grace

Copying this over from Prologue... because I can, and I want it in these archives.

Della at Dwelling in the Land had posted an Amazing Grace you tube video last week that had tears rolling down my face and goosebumps making my hair stand on end. Unfortunately I can't access that video anymore and I really wanted to share it. I don't know if it was the fact that we had just finished reading the biography of William Wilberforce, or were at the height of climax in "Amazing Grace" the movie that tells his tale the day I watched it.

The scene of John Newton's confession of slave atrocities, where he sits aged and blind is forever etched on the easel of my mind. Sobbing, he tells Wilber "I may be blind, but now I truly see." Oh the depth of truth encaptured in that sentence! Della's video was filmed in the dark open air of a Croatian amphitheatre remarkably reminiscent of the Roman Coliseum, another element to bring on the tears.

All that to say, I couldn't manage to locate and embed that video, but here is the Chris Tomlin video made for Amazing Grace, and it is equally effective. If you get a chance, I urge you to read Wilberforce's biography and watch the movie, he remains one of my favourite heroes of faith and faithfulness. 50 years he fought to abolish the slave trade and other misjustices of man. A whole lifetime fighting desperately to bring about change, change that eventually turned the world on it's ear and saved millions from the evils of secular injustice for all the generations that followed. May you experience His grace today and always.



How greatful I am once again for the freedom and opportunity to homeschool. I know without a shadow of a doubt that in public school, although my children would have learned a paragraph or two about abolition, they never would have been taken on a journey so rich and inspiring right into the heart of one man's personal life and faith and perseverance that really got to the heart of the matter. It's moments like these that truly educate.

EDITED TO ADD... What once was lost has now been found! Dawn at Dawn Writes found the elusive video for me! It is just as wonderful the second go round. Thanks Dawn!

1 comment:

corefoundations said...

Nothing to do with this particular post, but wanted to thank you for stopping by, because I lost your blog address with the death or our computers.

Christine