When the fields are naught but stubble

And the final leaf has fallen

When November's moon is waning

That's when Jack Frost comes a callin'

Fences can not hold him back

Nor barbs keep him away

Over the stile and through the gate

He silently makes his way

Through the grasses brittle, brown

Across the orchard bleak and bare

He stops to leave his frosty breath

On crimson apples hanging there

Past the clothesline, barren now

From our farmhouse we see him appear

In his white cloak and sparkling scarf

And best of winter cheer
Pictures and Poetry by Prairie Chick, all rights reserved.
20 comments:
Beautiful pictures. I just love frost!
That's MISTER Frost to you. *wink*
You are so talented my friend, you have always been!!
Beautiful. Made me want to go and put on some bunny slippers and slip into a hot chocolate induced coma...at least for an hour or so!
Very nice! I want an autographed copy of your first book.
And, ditto Della's comment.
Blessings!!!
I love coming here to see what beauty you have left us each day.
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
Beautiful pictures! My Boys are off from school today due to snow. I enjoyed looking at your pictures!
How on earth do you do that?!!! You've got some talent oozing out those pores of yours!
Aw, thanks you guys... I didn't think this poem was anything special, I'm usually not happy with words like "tall and dry" and "stark and bare" but I didn't feel like "sitting on it", wanted to share it! I will probably tweak those two lines at some point but I love the rest. I find personification such a fun and warm way to express things and bring them to life. This one just came to me as I was sitting fiddling with my notebook and pencil while the kids watched the first half hour of Amazing Grace last night. The pictures basically told the story and I just captured it and put it into words.
I have to admit all this talk of a book has lit a little fire of a dream in the back of my mind though... if I ever did try to pursue something like that it would only be because of your guys' encouragement, cause I certainly wouldn't have thought of that on my own initiative!
Just beautiful!
ah yes, those waters DO run deep don't they ;) Love it.
You are so CREATIVE! The pictures are breathtaking, I never knew how beautiful frost could be. Leanne
Love your Jack Frost post...not that I want frost... It was in the high seventies today (o: Frosty clothes pins reminds me of hanging out clothes and bringing them in frozen. Come visit me and leave a comment. I am lonely...One comment on my last post )o:
I DO love these posts. I agree that a book would be a wonderful thing. Count me in as an encourager- and I'll even buy one or two or so...
I love your blog! you asked if we are neighbours? lol I'm a Sask prairie girl.. your header looks like Dutch Cattle gates lol.. Are we close to each other?
remember that person I was trying to remember this last weekend? check out http://jillthinksdifferent.blogspot.com/
her next to last post is hilarious.
I'm thinking of you today and praying for you. a squeeze away,
Chris
This is perfect! The picture's and the poetry... BEAUTIFUL!
This is my first visit... I look forward to seeing more. : )
love the frost on the barbed wire, evokes a picture of Christ thawing the hardened of heart, with its cross shape and ice...
I made a book out of one of my mom's story poems on a photo site that helps you make books, they were running 40% off when I did it, so I made copies for her children, grandchildren, sisters and mother...I think it will be a nice Christmas gift...
It turned out spectacular....just a thought...nudge, nudge...
This is so gorgeous...you may not have thought the words were much, but paired with the photos they are so lovely. I'll be the first in line for an autographed copy of your book WHEN it comes out (when, not if)...
Beautiful. The whole thing. As usual.
Susan
Post a Comment