I was too caught up in "being" thankful at Canadian Thanksgiving to really talk about it much... but now that it is the end of November, the Christmas baking and packaging has yet to start and all of my American friends are busy celebrating Thanksgiving, I have more time on my hands to just reflect on Thankfulness.
When I think of the heavy depression that darkened my life just four short years ago, the darkness that shrouded everything, everywhere I looked, I am truly thankful for the ability to "see" and "be" thankful. Learning to practice thankfulness in the every day, to recognize the gifts and beauty in what we commonly refer to as the "mundane", to see that every thing, every person is inevitably a reflection of the Creator and Lord of all... recognizing this, attuning my eyes to search out and see the One behind all, every sunrise, every sunset; every crawling thing and every colored leaf; every moment and every breath. This has been my source of healing and hope, joy and strength.
When Thanksgiving rolls around, the thing I am most thankful for, is the thankful spirit that is growing within me each and every day of the year. It is the best gift I could ever ask for. Because with a thankful spirit, come what may, I won't lose heart and I will find the beauty in the ugly as Ann so perfectly refers to it.
May we all grow in thankfulness in the coming year.
The unthankful heart... discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings! ~Henry Ward Beecher
Grace isn't a little prayer you chant before receiving a meal. It's a way to live. ~Jackie Windspear
The Pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts. No Americans have been more impoverished than these who, nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving. ~H.U. Westermayer
I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder. ~G.K. Chesterton
You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace before the concert and the opera, and grace before the play and pantomime, and grace before I open a book, and grace before sketching, painting, swimming, fencing, boxing, walking, playing, dancing and grace before I dip the pen in the ink. ~G.K. Chesterton
If a fellow isn't thankful for what he's got, he isn't likely to be thankful for what he's going to get. ~Frank A. Clark
Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving. ~W.T. Purkiser
There is not a more pleasing exercise of the mind than gratitude. It is accompanied with such an inward satisfaction that the duty is sufficiently rewarded by the performance. ~Joseph Addison
Only a stomach that rarely feels hungry scorns common things. ~Horace
Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it. ~William Arthur Ward

15 comments:
Happy Thanksgiving! You are a blessing to me - and I'm so glad we've "met" here in this big internet world.
Thanks for being here.
thank you for your reflections on thankfulness. It is so awesome and amazing on the stuff the Lord pulls us out of!! Thank you Jesus!! Love you quotes!!
great quotes. they definitely add meaning! :) I'm just starting my baking this week.. we're already having family get togethers starting this week! ack! so off to drink coffee and make food!
and hey! God did make the coffee bean right??? lol
k, I was *so* loving that God made the coffee bean thing... but then a funny thought popped into my head... God made the marijuana plant... rotflol. So it got me thinking... the tree in the garden and all that... did God make certain things to be RESISTED? (I have this forever tug of war attitude towards coffee and it's addictive qualities.... but like my mom says... it's fat/calorie (thus making it guilt) free.... if a girl's gonna have a vice.... enjoy your coffee today Amy (you too B-girl and Laura)... I'm enjoying mine.
I always do ;)
and I'm always thankful for it.
Friend, this was beautiful. I too have seen the power of thankfulness when crawling in depression. He commands us to be thankful b/c it's truly truly health and life for us. Those quotes were awesome...esp. the Chesterton ones made me all teary.
I am thankful for you today! :)
Thanks for this awesome post! It so shares my feelings and resonates with me that I linked to it from my post today! Happy (American) Thanksgiving, new friend!
So beautiful and true. Thanks so much for sharing.
What a beautiful post. I love the building of thankfulness as time goes on - imagine where we'll be this time next year. Thank you for sharing.
I like what you said about "the thankful spirit that is growing within". I can very much relate to that in my own life. : )
And I especially like the last quote by W. A. Ward.
This was so truly and beautifully written.
amen and amen...
Loved your post and the comments that followed... especially regarding coffee.
It's the drug of choice for Christians, right? Ha ha!
Thankful for YOU today... blessings, friend!
You have a beautiful blog and I have so enjoyed visiting.
Thankfulness is a wonderful thing! This year I have tried to make an effort to be more thankful and it has truly helped me to focus on what really matters.
I am thankful for you and your blog! You are truly a blessing and I look forward to visiting you as often as I can!
Blessings!
I just love this and so agree, though I couldn't have said it as well as you. Thanks for the encouragement (again).
Susan
Post a Comment