Did you know that in the days of Montgomery Ward, when he was still alive and managing his flourishing mail order catalog business he would get all manners of personal letters asking things such as;
“how does one go about finding a baby to adopt?”
“Will you buy our second hand furniture or livestock?”
“Can you help us find our son who has run away from home?”
“How do I handle my disobedient children?”
Just as the colonial tobacco planter might ask his London agent to send him whatever he needed, now the lonely farmer wrote in to Ward’s. One customer wrote;
“Please send me a good wife. She must be a good housekeeper and able to do all household duty. She must be 5 feet 6 inches in height. Weight 150 lbs. Black hair and brown eyes, either fair or dark. I am 45 years old, six feet, am considered a good looking man. I have black hair and blue eyes. I own quite a lot of stock and land. I am tired of living a bachelor life and wish to lead a better life and more favorable. Please write and let me know what you can do for me.”
Ward’s answered that it was not a good idea to select a wife by mail. “After you get the wife and you find that she needs some wearing apparel or household goods,” Ward’s added “we feel sure we could serve both you and her to good advantage”
Others wrote merely because they were lonely and had nobody else to write to. Some felt that Ward’s would be disappointed at not hearing from them. “I suppose you wonder why we haven’t ordered anything from you since the Fall. Well, the cow kicked my arm and broke it, and besides my wife was sick and there was the doctor’s bill. But now, thank God, that is paid and we are all well again, and we have a fine new baby boy, and please send lush bonnet number 29d-8077
This customer received a friendly reply. Ward’s said they were sorry about his arm, glad that his wife was better, and sent congratulations on the son with hopes he would grow up to be a fine man. The order for the bonnet was acknowledged. Then, finally, Ward’s asked whether the customer had noticed that there was an anti-cow-kicker for sale in the catalog.
4 comments:
lolol - well, now I just need to know what an "anti cow-kicker" might be...I need to homeschool - this stuff is great!
LOL! An anti cow kicker is a type of shackle. It could be a "hobble" type apparatus that handcuffs the two hind legs to each other, or a chain and bar that wraps around in front of the thigh and over the cow's rump to prevent the cow from lifting his leg by preventing the hip bone from gyrating forward.
Remind me to never play Trivial Pursuit with you, should the opportunity arise! Ha!
Blessings!
Oh LOL LOL !! I can't believe those questions..well ppl haven't changed I see!
Was that on your list of school for the day in history? Wow I really like Sonlight have for a long time my dh and I have looked into it but can't afford it! Oh man I bet your kids thought that was great! I know my would..do you ever just think some ppl????
LOL
Oh and the wife one..he wasn't picky was he? LOL
Joy
Post a Comment