Did you know that when a male anglerfish (you know those deep sea creatures of darkness) bumps into a female in the depths of the ocean, he clings on and never lets go. He receives all his food from her, through a shared blood supply. The arrangement means that she always has a male available to fertilize her eggs. This saves her from having to hunt for a mate in the darkness. I have a strong sense of there being numerous parallels to be gleaned from this phenomenon but I’ve used up my reserve of brain cells today and so will just leave it at that, and marvel..
Did you know that the cuckoo wrasse, like some other species of fish, can change sex? All cuckoo wrasse are born female, but most change sex and become male as they grow older. If an old male wrasse in a mixed group dies, one of the females will change sex to replace him. This knowledge makes me feel queer, pardon the pun. And it was extra queer that precisely in the moment I was reading about this with P-Girl, The Poppet pipes up from her language arts to ask me whether “gay” is a word. But I digress.
Did you know that BATS have the finest hair of any mammal? 1,500,000 hairs per square inch. It’s been a notably disturbing day for me in the science department. *weak grin*.
ETA. Did you know that an outer leaf of Romaine lettuce holds 9 calories while an INNER leaf holds only 1? Interesting....
2 comments:
I take it back. I don't want to homeschool.
seriously, changing sex? eww. and gross. and weird.
the angler fish though - I think I can relate...I sometimes feel like I have some(one) clinging to me and sucking the lifeblood from me...male in nature, but not necessarily limited to my spouse...
ROTFLOL. Ah girl, noone cracks me up like you.
Post a Comment