Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Crockpot Picnic Ham


I don’t have a timer on my oven which makes my life really complicated when I need to be out and about before supper hour, as I do twice a week when my kids figure skating lessons keep me out of the house from 3:30 to nearly 6:00 pm.

I’ve been pulling out the slow cooker a lot more these days and getting inventive. I have yet to master making a pot roast in the crockpot, some times it comes out okay, other times not so great. Still working on understanding the needs and wants of a prime roast.

One meat I have mastered in the slow cooker though is the picnic ham. And not because of any great mastery tricks on my part, but merely because it is pur-ty darn failsafe. And economical. And quick. Just my kind of recipe.

1 bone in picnic ham

1 crockpot

water to cover

Seriously, it’s that easy. Place ham in slow cooker. Fill with with warm water. Place on medium heat. Cover and let cook for 5 hours.

This makes the most juicy and tender ham you can imagine! Just serve with apricot sauce or apple sauce, your favorite mustard or our personal favorite garnish is homemade crabapple butter.



Reserve stock for this.

6 comments:

Chris said...

wow... I need to remember where I saw that entry form to win all new appliances. I am still infatuated with this new stove of mine. It has made skating day much more manageable. (dh is getting quite appalled at all the "figure" references and costume talk with this impending carnival)

Prairie Chick said...

the funny thing is that Prairie Guy has offered to buy the appliances many times. I'm just not sure how I want the kitchen to look yet. I *think* I want a counter top range and a built in oven somewhere else, but I'm not sure where yet. And until I get the stove I can't get the side by side all fridge and upright freezer that I have in mind. So it's a matter of patience, which I actually have a lot of, so that's okay. Same story with the dishwasher. I *think* I know where it's going to go. But I'm waiting for the plans to all come together in my head, and right now the kitchen isn't at the top of my priority list. Closets are. I may not have fancy appliances, but I have GOOD appliances. I have NO closets. Ha!

Renna said...

You completely cover the ham with water?
We love ham, and I'm anxious to try this!

Prairie Chick said...

yepper. sounds wierd I know, but it makes it sooooo tender and juicy! and couldn't be easier.

Molly @ Star Cottage said...

Thanks for this post. I use my crock pot @ least twice a week. So I am always interested in new ideas. Sounds Yummy

mom2six said...

The ham sounds great - never thought of doing it in a crockpot. Pot roast is easy for me though (thanks to a dear friends recipe)- one can cream mushroom soup, one package onion soup mix, put potatoes and carrots in there with the roast and cook about 7 hours on high (at least in my pot). Folks around here like it.