I need to tell you, I am *amazed* by the power of confession. Since I started baring my soul here in my little "I am Frank" posts, I have been made so conscious of behavior that I was previously numb to and have found myself highly motivated to improve. Not sure why, but I think there is something to be said for vulnerability and transparency. I feel like my habit was to shove many of these little "issues" into the back closet of my conscience, and bury them under musty piles of denial. Now that I start pulling them out into broad daylight I can truly examine them, and see how rusty, or moldy or in need of polishing they really are. Putting them on display means that I am that much more committed to dealing with them and not just shoving them back in the closet.
I have continued to work hard at not allowing myself to sit down at the computer when my family is around, and I am happy with the cut back. I have been careful to consciously speak words of praise and affection to my family in the last week and have seen how it has blessed them and me to have this positive current of verbal energy passing from me to them.
This week I really want to work at intentional and attentive (on my part) social time with both Prairie Guy and the chicklets. When school is in session and I am in routine mode, this is never a problem. But being in holiday mode, (and I admit, a complete slacker with any and all routine since Prairie Pumpkin arrived on the scene) well, let's just say this area has been sadly lacking. I am trying to be flexible, and find a "light" way to fit this intentional social time into our holiday atmosphere, and I think I have it pegged. I want to implement afternoon tea with the kids, and get back my "quiet time" with Prairie Guy when he gets home from work. The kids are all pumped up and on board with both ideas. Today The Poppet (6) carefully set out the china while Prairie Girl (8) made the tea and I cut up the watermelon for our 3:00 tea. We sat around the table and I let them tell all their silly stories and jokes and just was their captive audience. Wow. I realize I don't do that near enough! :( (Chris (Prairie Chris- welcome to the "new" Chris!), you are so great at this, I'm trying to learn from you!)
Then I prepared them in advance to make the mad dash for the second story when Daddy drove up. This gives *him* a moment when he gets in the door (he's just not the kind to find screams and running jumps to be an "inviting welcome". I know there are men who do, and I find that endearing, but I have learned my husband's needs and plan accordingly. They can scream and run and jump at him 10 minutes *after* he's come in the door and he's a total trooper about it) as well as give *us* a moment's peace to actually converse.
So today, as soon as his vehicle was spotted the kids went running off to play upstairs until he called them. I went to greet him at the door, take his things, give him a welcome kiss and then go and SIT DOWN next to him for 10 minutes to quietly interact. Wow. It was nice. Nicer than my old habit of visiting with him at the dining room table while folding the laundry. That was intentional but a sort of multi-tasking intentional. This was an intentional "I'm all ears, and eyes, and body contact" intentional.... much better. Going to try to make these two things intentional parts of our days in the upcoming week. I'm pumped about it!
Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that you may be healed. James 5:16
10 comments:
IMHO~vulnerability and transparency are two of charactors that is instilled by God...HE can work best through these avenues when we surrender.
I commend you for sharing this and encouraging me and others to better serve in our homes.
With this being said ...you've got my attention!
Note: BiG...is BIG..and didn't mean anything else silly girl ;D
LOL: Laughing out loud!
IMHO: In my humble opinion
DHF: Dear Heavenly Father
KWIM: Know what I mean?
SOS: HELP! (you knew that..;D
And when I have more time...;D
I'll share some more!
Dawn :~D
Btw I Forgot one..I use often!
Btw: By the way!
Have a great day chick!
Intentional conversation with my man used to be limited to about ten minutes before bed, over a cup of tea. We have more time now and so nights like last night we sit and talk for hours. It reminds me how much he is my friend as well as true love, we love to share with one another. He is a good listener:)
The tea parties sound great. My man has a hard time with the monkeys at the door as soon as he arrives, perhaps I will have to tea with them more often too so they will give him a break:)
You are wise to recognize and meet your hubby's needs as HE needs them met.
My hubby is similar in that he needs a few minutes alone to change clothes, take a few breaths, etc., before he dives into family life. However, I've discovered that the *alone* also means away from ME, too. So, now I kiss and greet him and then leave him alone. He always finds me after a few mintues, when he's ready and then family time begins.
Tea time with your kiddos sounds like a very special time! These are memories they'll remember and are likely to recreate in their own homes one day!
Blessings!
Dawn, I'm still lost on the BIG comment. Were you meaning your big hair pictures post was up? I was up most of the night, so my brain is fried!
Hey Bec, I have a good a listener too, almost *too* good of a listener if you kwim? (I sometimes wish he listened less and talked a bit more, but I love him anyway, as he says to me about my failures.
Texas Dawn, you know, Prairie Guy also doesn't like me to go rattling on about my day right away either. I mostly listen and just am *there*. He likes my presence, but not my nattering at this point. The quieter I am the more he digs, the more I talk, the more he looks like a deer in the headlights :D
Those are wonderful ideas, I think I may try to think of some of my own to implement... and I may try some of this "Frankful Fridays" myself... we will see!
Thanks for your sweet comments yesterday!
So am I to understand, you aren't the only one who has a dh who, how shall we politely say this...
Isn't a "big talker" or low on the communication skills?
Please Lord, let me NOT be the only one!! :)
FRANKLY, I'd feel so much "better" in a weird way, if I could add this to our list of commonalities!
Tricia, feel free to follow suit, I highly recommend it ;)
M-Bear... yeah, I got one of those, and *frankly* (you're so funny), I wouldn't trade him for an easy talker. I've learned there's a whole lot of wisdom behind that silence, and when I'm patient, I'm eventually made privy to it :D
Post a Comment