
Rhubarb Crisp
(Chris, do tell your secret/quantity with the orange peel, as that was scrumptious and I want to add that in from now on?!)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
3/4 cup oats
1/2 cup melted butter
1 ts cinnamon
4 cups rhubarb
1 cup sugar
2 tb cornstarch
1 cup water
1 ts vanilla
Mix oat mixture, spread half in the bottom of a square pan, press down with fingers.
bring cornstarch mix to a slow boil, remove from heat and allow to thicken
add rhurbarb to cornstarch mix, stir
layer rhubarb over crust
top with remaining oat mixture
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes
(I use this rhubarb and cornstarch mix as crepe filler too, this is one of my favourite ways to eat rhubarb!)
Rhubarb Coffee Cake
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 ts baking soda
1 ts cinnamon
1/4 ts all spice
1/4 ts cloves
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/3 cup milk
2 cups rhubarb
2/3 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tb butter
1/4 cup chopped nuts
Sift dry ingredients together
beat eggs, oil and milk in separate bowl, mix in with dry ingredients
Add rhubarb, pour into bundt pan
Mix topping ingredients together and sprinkle over batter
Bake at 350 for 50 min
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
5 Cups rhubarb
1.5 cups sugar
1 pack strawberry jello
Mix rhubarb and sugar in large stock pot, allow to steep overnight
Bring to boil over medium heat
boil 12 min's over low heat
remove from heat and stir in jello
transfer to hot sterile jars, seal
Strawberry Rhubarb Fruit Leather
Rhubarb Puree
—Wash and cut into small 1⁄2 inch pieces about 1 quart of rhubarb. Put 1⁄4 cup water in a saucepan and add rhubarb. Cook only until rhubarb starts to soften. Let cool slightly; put in blender and make into puree. It should make about 2 cups puree.
Strawberry Puree
rinse berries, drain, put in a blender and blend until the consistency
of thick puree.
Combine 1 cup rhubarb puree and 1 cup strawberry puree.
Add honey (2 tablespoons or to taste),
Spread on dehydrator tray and dry.
Be sure the leathers are dry. To make sure the fruit leather is completely dried, try to pull the leather from the plastic wrap or tray. If it peels from the plastic and holds its shape, it is dry. It is important that fruit be completely dry or it will mold during storage. When the fruit leather becomes too dry it will crack and crumble and won’t roll, but is still edible and good to eat. Drying time will vary according to dehydrator, puree consistency and how thick it is applied to the tray.
To store, roll fruit leather loosely in plastic wrap and place in a dry, sealed container. The leather may be stored in the cupboard for 4 months to a year, (the cooler the storage area, the longer the keeping time) or in the refrigerator or freezer for more than a year.
Rhubarb Slush
8 c. chopped rhubarb
8 c. water
Boil and strain. Discard solids.
Add to liquid:
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. lemon juice
1 pkg. strawberry Jello
Bring to full boil and cool. Freeze in ice cream pail. To serve, scoop frozen slush into tall glass and pour 7-Up/Gingerale or Canada Dry over it.
I personally don't do rhubarb pie. I love pies, just not rhubarb pie...
5 comments:
For the crisp, I just added approx a tbsp. orange rind to the crumbs... enough to really add zang to the rhubarb. (I don't put crumbs on the bottom, just all on top)
thanks for the recipes. They sound wonderful. I can't wait to try some of them. Brandie
mmmmmm...rhubarb! I am definitely making that loaf, but it would probably require having company over...which requires a housecleaning...which requires energy...maybe tomorrow.........
oooh, I forgot to put my favourite use for rhubarb in here! I'm making it for supper and thought "duh!" Use the same rhubarb and sweet corn starch mixture from the crip to make filler for crepe's. Roll and dollop with fresh whipped cream!
Hey...I don't have anymore since we moved, I had to leave it behind. Any chance you'd part with a chunk of your plant???
Post a Comment