
Reflections on Marriage, Motherhood and Ministry.
I'm back on my own over here, and quite enjoying the feeling of being "back in the saddle" as they say. So today, I will leave you with someone else's (the inspiring Sally Clarkson) sage words of wisdom, experience, and encouragement while I seek to "do" rather than "talk", to find that intricate synchronization of accomplishment and adventure, to stay in the saddle, and enjoy the ride.
Ode to Tired Mom's was just a breath of fresh air this morning. A few snippets to whet your appetite?
There once was a sweet mom with children,
Who worked day and night just to serve them,
She cleaned and she cooked
and she taught and she booked,
Till she died of exhaustion and left them. ....
We moms are giving out at a much faster rate than we are taking in and so depletion and exhaustion and consequences thereof are normal. So blowing a top once in a while is very normal. I love the verse in Proverbs that says, "Where there are no oxen, the stalls are clean." I have at least six oxen in my stalls all the time, so my stall is always in different degrees of clean-ness!....
Another mom sent me a letter asking if my children were ever overworked in ministry or if we just had fun all the time. Probably, because my life has been so hard (children with illnesses and difficult issues; moving 17 times--6 times internationally; having little support or encouragement from family and almost never having anyone take my children as many grandparents do; and oh so many other difficulties), it is the very reason I seek to create life and beauty and fun--because I don't want to die in the process, and I don't want to live a life of constant depression and weariness, knowing it is not good for me! I want to keep going and live and keep being gracious, because life and light and beauty give strength--to me and to my children!
Enjoy!
9 comments:
Absolutely love this post!! I sometimes get so caught up with all the work I have to get done that i often forget those i am doing the work for. I needed the reminder to slow down and enjoy raising and having fun with my children. The work will still be there in an hour, and thats not laziness, its putting time into my children, and i believe that to be very special. Thank You for this post it was a great blessing to me. Also, Love the song! brandie
I am new to your post but have heard many good things from my friends. I think it's wonderful that you look for the good and the fun in life. You are an encouragement to me to take time to enjoy and play with my kids.
Look forward to more fantastic posts, Krista
Well hello dear blog friend sounds like your still up to good!
I'm sure we all relate with this post in one way or another!
What a great post, thanks for sharing! Is that from a book? I have read one of Sally Clarksons book, The Mission of Motherhood, it is wonderful!
Have fun with your family!
Brandie, yes, we need to "ride", but not forget to enjoy the scenery along the way, hey?
Krista, welcome! I look forward to getting to know you!
Dawn, I'm working on that tag, I really am! Tomorrow!
Tricia, it's from Sally's website, click on the hyperlink (ode to tired mama's" in my post and it will lead you to her post.
Wow! Love love this post. I haven't turned my computer on since last thursday seems I just have too much on my plate as far as normal routine work goes. I needed this today! What a blessing! My children need me more than my work does. Thanks for the reminder. Have a great day! I too love the song!
Joy
beautiful blog. i love you description of yourself. very open and peaceful..despite the runny noses :)
ok, I just had to laugh at your title "Back in the saddle"...I had put that as my facebook status at one point, meaning that I was back to running and reading, etc. However, I got SEVERAL comments...it was a "Princess Bride" moment ("I do not think it means what you think it means..." moment) lol. Here I thought I was putting a very innocent comment out there...I guess some people are just less innocent :)
Being totally in the dark about any possible derogatory meanign behind the term "back in the saddle" I very stupidly googled it. Not that I want to know derrogatory things, but I want to know what someone might mistakenly think *I* might be insinuating.
Clearly someone with their mind in the gutter has tainted a perfectly wholesome analogy, and VERY poorly if I do say so myself. Ugh. I'm reclaiming it in all it's wholesomeness, there is no way I am going to let some half corked illiterate rock and roller rob me of a perfectly good word picture. :D
Post a Comment