Monday, June 2, 2008

Home Education; Why Sonlight Curriculum?

For previous entries in this series see here.

Real Books, Rich Literature=A Love for Learning.


I secretly smile when people's eyes glaze over at the idea of homeschooling. The preparation, the work, the dedication, the organization, the time commitment, the personal sacrifice that flashes before their eyes.... I seriously find it hard to suppress a smile. Let me set the record straight here once and for all, at least about our own experience.

I love to read.
I love to learn.
I love to discuss what I am learning.
I love to find ways to apply what I am learning.
I love to be with my kids who also love to read, love to learn, love to discuss and apply what they are learning.

In other words, homeschooling is really a great excuse to sit around reading and yacking with my kids all day and call it work =)

Now, why Sonlight? Ah, just the name makes me feel all cheery and warm inside. Why Sonlight. Because;

Sonlight uses real books,
instills a love for learning,
exposes us to diverse angles of any given topic in an unbiased fashion so that;
we always have LOTS to discuss,
facilitates conscientious application of what we are learning and
is set up in a way that draws us together for hours and hours of every day to do the things we love most.

Some of you have asked me about "real" books. What does that mean, and how do they contribute to a richer and deeper education? I'm going to quote directly (with some personal emphasis, because I am an emphasis aficionado) out of the Sonlight catalogue, because whoever wrote the following article had a lot more time on their hands than I do to devote to this subject, and sums it up so perfectly that I see no reason to re-invent the wheel. The following quotes are taken from page 142 of the 2008 Sonlight Catalog.

"When history "comes alive," your kids remember more of what they study. With other educational media, and most especially textbooks, students don't read stories. They read reports about subjects. In fact, textbooks seem less like books, and more like "storage space" for dump truck loads of facts- as many facts as possible. There's just one problem: they leave out all the drama. The conflict, the context, the emotion, the story- so there is nothing left to attract the interest and attention of student readers.

Sonlight, by contrast, with its "real books" approach, brings you right "there" to see, feel and hear what happened- even if it was 2000 years ago. With the kinds of books Sonlight carries, you get to experience history. They draw you into the story so that all the things traditional textbooks and classroom materials tell you you're supposed to memorize... you memorize "coincidentally". You can't help remembering the names of the key characters, the places they go, the events they participate in. Somehow, when you are caused to feel something, emotionally, about a person or event, you seem never to forget. The images and experiences are forever imprinted on your mind.

When you enjoy reading your school books, when one of your favorite things to do each day is to read the books that are part of your curriculum, and when the books themselves make it easy for you to remember your lessons, you've got the easiest learning process possible."

And having taught this curriculum for 5 years straight, I can heartily endorse the truth behind these words. And that is one of the reasons we use Sonlight.

"I have chosen him. He must direct his children. He must see that the members of his family after him live the way I want them to. So he must direct them to do what is right and fair. " Genesis 18:19 NIRV

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there, I shut down my blog, but I stop by here daily. Just wanted you to know that we are going to try sonlight this year. I have been reading up on it all over the place and it just seems like a great fit for my daughter who could read all day. Okay, me too! I love to read! Thanks for the great blog. It's like opening the pages of a good book almost every morning! Jennifer

Tricia said...

I am so glad that you shared about Sonlight, I am planning to homeschool my boys and this sounds like a curriculum I need to check out, we all love to read! Thanks so much for sharing!

Mac an Rothaich said...

I know this is off topic, but that coffee at the top looks so good (lol)!

On topic, I always appreciate how informed you are and eager to really discuss stuff. I have really appreciated your advice about homeschooling:)

Anonymous said...

Hello Mrs.Prairie Chick,
Greetings from the lil'town!
Okay, glad to hear some personal thoughts on Sonlight, after reading up on it I'd sent for the catalog...looks so interesting and we are considering trying for a few, all? We are going from a "very" conservative type setting/school cirr to learning to follow Jesus...ahem...(you know came out from around the fences) and our children are thrilled at new books and colorful pages! So, we are still each year looking for another christian based cirr...it looks steep in price however if you can use the books over? or, for more than one? Not math- how about other subjects? We sure are considering! Smile!
We are keeping the leather! My From the country now small town hubby was thrilled to read your response! See how your blog really blesses in ways so big & small! God uses so many people in the tapestry of our lives to help and bring our lives to where and what HE wants for us...do we really thank HIM enough? So, thank you prairie friends for your blessings and thank you God for prairie friends we only know through this screen and yet are knit together through your being our Heavenly Father! Blessings to you-
Small town Momma of 8

Jude said...

While we've decided against any particular curriculum, I'm with you on the anti-textbook approach. Taryn is delighting in having more time to read and discover rather than be force-fed the knowledge someone else thinks she should have.

You should hear about what I'm doing to contribute to our new homeschooling experience: The toilet project.

Unknown said...

Hey Ladies! I'm glad to get my "answers" about why and how we homeschool into a permanent format, mainly so that I don't have to field the same questions by individual email or in person over and over. They are great questions, and need answers, but this will save me SO much time!!

Countrymom, my *very* next post will be on the financial aspect of Sonlight, I promise! But to tide you over, YES you re-use nearly 90 percent of the curriculum so you need to divide the yearly cost by the number of kids who will use the curriculum. With five kids, my yearly cost per child will work out to be 200.00 per year plus replacing consumable workbooks (another 50-100.00). I don't know any curriculum that is that economical, and certainly not one as highly acclaimed as Sonlight.

I'll expand on this soon!

Jude, what *are* you up to over there??!! Glad you guys are having fun. For the record, I am not trying to *sell* Sonlight on anyone, I just get asked so many questions about it from people who are interested. Please don't feel like I am trying to recruit you!

my4blessings said...

Ahhhh, one of my favourite topics as well! We love Sonlight! I would definitely call this an *off* year for schooling in our house. Many obstacles, illnesses, the occasional broken bone...and yet, when I think of the great books we've read, I am so thankful that we've continued to use Sonlight as a great tool in schooling our four! If I kept track of how many of the books have made me cry (and that's MY measure of a really good book), the great conversations we've had, and the way we've "explored the world" just sittin' around our modest kitchen table "doing school", I know that I would be willing to pay much more for this curriculum that just suits my "style" so well. If I can say that in an "off" year when we didn't accomplish near as much as I'd hoped, I know that we'll continue to follow this path for some time.

Oh, and that feeling when the UPS truck brings all those boxes of books fulfills some kind of girlhood fantasy of my own...

Jude said...

I just published on our new homeschooling venture, including the toilet project:
http://mindintransition.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Renee, hah! I can so relate. Prairie Guy is convinced I only homeschool so *I* can study all day ;-)

Jude, LOVED your entry.