Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Bambi Scouts Us Out.

So one morning this summer... I'm curled up on the couch having my quiet time when I get this strange sensation that causes me to turn my head and look out the window. I kid you not. The last time I had that same sensation I was sitting in the schoolroom shortly after we had moved in and the meter guy came for the first time to read the gas meter. I happened to be sitting there BREASTFEEDING quite secure in the privacy of my wonderful farmhouse in the middle of a secluded yard situated on a quasi private road smack dab in the middle of the wide open prairie when all of a sudden the top half of a big burly MAN steps directly in front of my schoolroom window (well technically his whole body stepped but only his top half was visible to me). I now know that the gas meter is directly below said window and will NEVER be caught unawares again. That said, *this* little jigger was a much more welcome window guest....
It must have been the double panes (living room/sun porch) that allowed me to move around unnoticed but I was able to sneak for the camera and get one shot in before he turned and started walking nonchalantly away. Just scoutin' things out. He's watching the horses and sheep in the coral here.
huh. those are some curious creatures. Wonder if they've got food? now he's wandering over to the old tool shed. Do you want to know something horrifyingly ironic? Do you see that flap of carpet hanging on the sliding door of the shed? That's a big square of folded carpet that dh uses for target practice with his bow. You know... target practice, so that he is good and limbered up when deer hunting season opens....
If you ask me he is looking at those grain bins and thinking.... "breakfast!" if only he could brave the sheep and horses, but bravery does not appear to be this fellow's forte.
Now he's wandered over to the north side of the house and is angling in on my garden. Only here there are not double panes to hide me now and he *definitely* sees me.
not only that. He also *hears* me. Seriously, he starts to lower his head, and everytime the camera shutter clicks he pulls up sharp again. The windows are CLOSED. Our house is INSULATED (well, sorta). he's seen me. he hears me. now he tries to get a whiff of me.no can do. So he wanders nonchalantly into my garden.I'm wondering where the dog is. I think he is too.
Truly the grass is always greener.... he can't seem to just pick a spot and eat. Always lookin' for greener pastures. He makes his way down the length of my garden, around the corner through the untilled future berry patchthrough my raspberriesbypasses my potatoes.
and slowly wanders off.

It brings me great angst to think that this same little buck is out there tonight, with a little rack that has doubled in size and a tag with his name on it. Maybe I'm not such a redneck after all.... Or maybe I am. Just a redneck who's contemplating putting up some heavy signage (cardboard duct taped to two by four of course) that reads "Don't mess with Bambi".

15 comments:

Jenni said...

How neat! I'm so glad you were able to get photos! We see plenty of signs of deer around our house, but we never have had any come that close. Before we bought this land, the 20 acres of bottom land near the river was planted in corn and I think the deer stayed on the property more. Now it's planted in brome (which doesn't do very well there) and they seem to mostly use our land as a highway to get from one place to the next.

Dawn said...

Wow! How neat that you were able to get that many pictures of him.

I understand the whole concept of lifecycles, and that man was given dominion over the earth, and putting food on the table...

But to look into those eyes and then pull a trigger or release a bow?

Don't think I could do it.

Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Joy said...

Really neat! Great pictures of the deer. You might not want to visit my blog today then. My children had their first hunt last Saturday and both killed a deer. They are hooked now. They love it. I was extremely shocked that my babies could kill such a pretty animal. But that is natural I guess.
Love the pictures of Bambi!
Joy

grammy said...

Nice pics. You really got a lot of them. A lot of people here are hoping for their Elk. I have come to enjoy elk meat. It is very lean and good for you. Not full of harmons and antibiotics. I can see why you and the kids would like him to be safe. Tell your hubby he is to small for this year (O:

DayPhoto said...

The photos are really neat! And you did a great job getting so many photos. Your writing is good!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

very nice, please don't tell me if someone bags bambi....

Anonymous said...

i love the way those little antlers and the curiosity just scream "teenager!" :)

i hope he satisfied all his questions and will now go far, far away where no arrows or bullets can find him. if he wanders this way, we'll probably keep him. he can sleep with turkey. :)

Tricia said...

I just love to see deer, I think they are beautiful and graceful animals. How wonderful that you were able to capture his outing the way you did! Thanks for sharing!

Blessings!

NanaNor's said...

Loved this brave little guy. When we lived in Ca. I marveled at how close the deer would get and how many of my flowers they would eat..that frustrated me but I still loved having them in our neighborhood and front yard. Great shots....loved your land/garden too.
Noreen

In The Masters Hands said...

I once had an encounter like this too , my kids and I were out in the garden working early one morning and I look out across the yard and here comes this huge deer right up beside my house, walks down the front walk and across the drive way and then she spies us and takes off across the road, It was really neat that she got that close to us. But as usual when something big like that happens I never seem to have my camera. But the pictures you got were great! I just hate the thoughts of someone shooting him though, but around here as I am sure it is there, people like to hunt. But maybe they will let him slide this year so that he grow a little more. Have a great day!Brandie

Unknown said...

Last winter we had a small herd of 9 (1 buck, 3 does and their yearlings) that bedded down between the house and the dugout every night. On full moon nights we would sit for hours watching them from the window seat on the upstairs landing. The buck had a HUGE rack. They would paw through the snow and forage for alfalfa. I don't know how dh can sit for hours and enjoy watching them with me one night and then head off and shoot one the next. I too understand the hierarchy of the food chain thing and all... in my head. Doesn't change the fact I wanna save Bambi!

Linda said...

He is sweet, and I love watching the deer who venture onto our property. However there have been moments when I haven't appreciated their "cuteness" - like the time I spent hours planting a couple dozen impatiens under the oaks only to wake the next moring to nothing but little stubs of green sticking out of the ground; or the time they ate my beautful rose bush right down to the ground, thorns and all. I forgave them though - my fault for not fencing in the flowers, and you have to be mighty hungry to eat a thorny rose bush. I could never hunt - just couldn't do it (unless of course we really were starving?).

Mac an Rothaich said...

Oh I sense a tender heart,lol, that is alright... I come from a long line of hunters and I still can feel that way too when looking at these lovely creations. What a great collection of pics!

Leanne said...

We had the pleasure of seeing 2 baby deer this summer while we were lounging in our hard, blue plastic swimming pool. They were about 50 ft away and my 1 yr old was the first to notice them. I had to quickly decide if I was going to make a mad dash for my camera or just sit there and enjoy them. I decided on the latter. Great pictures! Run Bambi run!!

Jenni said...

What Dawn said. *sigh* It makes me long for Heaven and no more need to hunt.

Awfully cute pictures!