Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Contemplating Blessing


Fellowship thoughts carried over from the prayer closet. Birthed from the patriarchal blessings of Jacob.

Blessing. I don't claim to understand it but I do believe in the power behind it. I think on a two dimensional level as well. Or maybe even much more dimensional than that. The physical, emotional and psychological "good" that comes from being sought out, touched, affirmed, commended to the Lord. It's benefits are immeasurable to a person's well being. But then there is the spiritual aspect too. There's something behind the prayers of a righteous (because of Christ) man/woman. And not just a little something either. What we bind in the heavenlies, will be bound, and what we loose will be loosed according to the will of God. This gives me great power and responsibility as a parent to bathe and cover my children in prayers of blessing.

Now, not that blessing always looks like we attribute it to. Sometimes pain is a blessing in disguise, sometimes hard roads produce strong travellers, and the blessings are found in the potholes and puddles that trip us up and teach us to pick up our feet and stay alert. I'm not talking praying for a life of ease cloaked in velvet trappings and kid gloves that never touch the grime and soot of every day earthly existence, merely breathing His presence, grace, strength, hope, joy, love and goodness into it all. That they may grow in wisdom, and stature, and favor with God and man.

My favourite moment of the day is my "last stop". Before retreating to my own bed, I make a stop at each one of theirs. I sit on bedsides or lean over cribs and cradles to push back locks of silky hair. To caress smooth brows and tender cheeks, and "bless" them by presenting them to the Great Blesser. In blessing them, I am blessed. My fears ease, my hope soars. My trust in the One who has created them is renewed and the seeds of worry planted by the enemy are blown away on winds of worship. If you're reading this, I encourage you to take a moment each day to stop, sit, touch, bless your children. You will be blessed in the process.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right!

By the way, would you be up for me linking your blog to mine?

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Chris said...

This year I've been conciously doing that with E-man each morning, before he heads off on his bike to school... I grab whatever body part is available and just hold him and bless him. Of course, concentration is easier when their groggy and soundless, but I pray that this will remind him each that he lives in God's presence.

Chris said...

they're, sorry ;)

Linda said...

What a sweet, wise post. I had to blink back the tears to read it.
As I read, I thought of a song written by one of my favorite Gospel singers, Janet Paschal. Here is the chorus:
"I wish you love, I wish you joy.
I pray that happiness camps outside your door.
I hope you win. I hope you lose.
I pray you'll realize both are good for you.
May you never have too little or too much.
I wish you enough."
Whenever I hear those words I think what great faith and trust it takes to pray them.

Berry Girl said...

mmmmm...I love making that "stop" before bed - one last look and touch on their sweet heads before closing a day. What a good idea to take it one step further.

Mac an Rothaich said...

I need that last stop before bed just as much as they do... my girls have taken to insisting on laying hands on me and praying over me lately and it is so awesome...

Unknown said...

of course Linda, I would be honored!

Chris, having them hear/feel/experience it is very important... my kids usually half/wake, roll over, squeeze my hand as I sit there, or sometimes not. They know. Early on they would ask me why I came to sit on their bed at night and I told them. Now they pry open a sleepy eye and smile a sleepy smile in my general direction. So sweet.

Unknown said...

Linda, those lyrics are great. To understand that happiness can be yours despite being in a "losing" situation. I love it. Thanks for sharing that.

Unknown said...

Mac... the soothing balm of a child's touch has taught me much on the power of touch. They truly are vessels of His love and peace. *sigh*. What a blessing.

grammy said...

Thank you! Hope readers take that to heart. I have always lived in the slow lane. Love to take my time and just 'savor' everything from a little blue bird (see my post for Monday) to my grandchildrens hair (sounds silly, but I love to touch it, smell it and run my fingers through it). That is a good reminder to actually say a pray and ask for a blessing for them and always remember to tell my Father 'Thankyou'.

Tricia said...

I love this post, and I love speaking blessings over my children, although I am convicted that I do not do that on a consistent basis...

We do have morning and evening prayers together, so I will have to incorporate some blessing into those times, thanks so much for sharing!

Blessings!!

NanaNor's said...

I love this post! How right you are about blessings our loved ones and even though mine are grown and out of the house, I can still touch and bless them and their little ones when I'm with them-which is a lot.
Blessings to you and yours as you seek Him.
Noreen

Anonymous said...

amen and amen...

Krista said...

I truly love this post! I need to do better about speaking blessings over my children. I used to do it all the time as we have gotten busier, I just am thankful sometimes to even get a word in! Priorities! I will make sure I start that up again!

Krista