Friday, October 10, 2008

Crepes

It's been a busy week, something up every night... so we've been eating even more simply than simple. Last night it was crepes with homemade apple butter filling. Mmmmmm. We love crepes, with glazed fruit in season or colorful preserves off the shelf over the winter.

4 eggs
1 cup water
1 cup milk
4 tbspns butter (scant quarter cup), melted
2 cups flour
1/2 tspn salt

  1. Beat eggs together with water, milk and butter.
  2. sift flour and salt together and then whisk into liquid until smooth.
  3. let stand for half hour.
  4. in greased cast iron skillet over medium heat pour 3/4 cup of batter into pre-heated pan
  5. allow to cook app. 2 minutes on first side (til browning gently); 1 minute on second side.

Fill with fruit filling and a dollop of whipped cream. I double this recipe for our family of 7, doubled it makes 16 extra large crepes.

3 comments:

Mac an Rothaich said...

Okay, I NEEDED crepes for my whole last pregnancy and couldn't find anywhere to buy them! So I went without and complained to my man often... he thought I could handle making them but honestly they intimidate me! I guess I should be brave and try your recipe out... it sounds simple enough...

Prairie Chick said...

I didn't even know you could buy crepes. Or do you mean like eating out in a restaurant? I think Smitty's used to have them... is that the waffle and big breakfast place? But crepes are SUPER easy, the only finnicky thing is to let the batter stand and make sure your pan is the right temp (you know how the first pancake is never the best.. that kind of deal). You can do it!

Chris said...

mmm.... I love eating the sacrificial first screw up crepe... dunked in sugar it's so tasty and takes the edge off... ;)

I usually use 9 eggs, but all milk... I'm going to give yours a try next time.