Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Crystal Stairs

Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

It's had tacks in it,

And splinters,

and boards torn up,

and places with no carpet on the floor

Bare.

But all the time
I's been a-climbin' on,

And reachin' landin's,

and turnin' corners,

And sometimes goin in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.

So boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps

Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now-

For I's still goin', honey,
I's still climbin',

And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

Langston Hughes (I'm lovin' this new to me poet).

15 comments:

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

great post ...your on new "landings" ;D

Anonymous said...

love the poem and pics

grammy said...

Loved it. My daughter the missionary was once in (hmmm, I don't remember where cause she has been all over. I think maybe...) Kosovo. She was on the top of a pretty little mountain hill. It started to get dark and they knew they should get back, but it got dark so fast they couldn't find the way. It seemed like cliffs all around them. In the midst of their panic and prayers an old man (or angel) showed up and led them to a rocky hidden stair that went down the mountain. I have always pictured it like a few of those rocky stairs in your pictures. They were safe and very thankful and never saw the man again. blessings, Pam oh, by the way I posted some pics of her in Kabul awhile back on my blog (:kyb

Tricia said...

Loved it! Thanks for sharing, you have such a way with putting pictures to words!

Blessings!

Linda said...

Brilliantly done. You've combined the beautiful pictures and words perfectly. You have a gift!

Berry Girl said...

really great. I love the poems you find.

Anonymous said...

And I love your photo's!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Shosannah said...

Beautiful and moving.
I'm loving the poetry too :0)
Blessings to you
Suzy

Anonymous said...

oh, we love langston hughes also. great job!

Unknown said...

for the record, the pics in this post aren't mine... only the result of a few "stair" searches of pics in the public domain.... I'm not that obsessed with pictures that I would have a visual stair collection of that magnitude!

Heidi said...

LOL! I was thinking 'how in the *world* does she manage to take pictures that correspond to every line of those awesome poems she chooses!' I bet you take most of the other photos, though. Definitely a gift.

I wanted to thank you for the poem you gave me the other day. I loved it and it cheered me up. You are a blessing. Thanks!!

Andrea said...

Love it!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you liked the poem I found for you Heidi! And yes, almost all of the pictures here are mine. I should be more careful to post when I am using a public domain picture, or in this case a whole slew of them.

Jenni said...

Langston Hughes is one of my favorites! I love the way you've illustrated the lines of this poem with your photographs. These are yours, right? They are perfect! They're things most people would pass right by without seeing the beauty in them. How delightful when paired with this poem about a very ordinary life full of struggle, yet there is strength and beauty in that struggle and perseverance.

Jenni said...

Oops! Shoulda read the previous comments! Well, I love the way you put it together anyway. It really is beautiful.