
I find it interesting to reflect on that word and see how it is used in our society. Called to be a mother, a homemaker, a homeschooler, a missionary, a fill-in-the-blank. I've been pondering my "calling". My life ambition if you will. Here is what I have come up with.
I am called....
To be filled with the Holy Spirit and produce His fruit, wherever I find myself in this moment or the next. Period.
WHEREVER I find myself. Here, in my response to my 2 year old spitting milk across the table, in my attitude to these chores that come round full circle every day, in my tone of voice on the phone to grumpy operators, in crossing paths with a disgruntled person on a city sidewalk, in snatched conversation turned intentional with anyone whose life intersects my own. In my authenticity to friends over a cup of coffee, in my arms and heart that receive my husband home at the end of the day and take up my mantle of helpmeet. Here in blog land. To people I glimpse hiding in the shadows of my own culture, and yes even other cultures, in some way I can find to reach out and touch them from my corner of the world.
In thinking about calling, I think it has to start within. What do people "get" when they look at me? When they brush momentarily up against this flower that is my life. Even more, *am* I a flower? What kind? Am I lovely? Am I fragrant? Does my life emit a comeliness and aroma that attracts and blesses and inspires? Or am I stinkweed (turn off)? Dandelion (status quo-a dime a dozen)? Rose, (beautiful yes, but those thorns keep people from drawing near). If I could visualize a flower that would reflect the qualities I want to exemplify in my life, what would that be? Something soft but hardy, beautiful but practical. Perrenial, propogating, aromatic, medicinal, a sweet and savory food source.... hmmm. I think I am on the search for a "life" flower. Ooooh.... magnolia maybe. So fragrant, so lovely, we had one about 15 feet from our house in Italy and I can picture it and smell it even now, an entire ocean and so many years away. It's giant blossoms so soft, it's petals so fragrant their scent would waft on the breeze and fill our entire house with their sweet perfume. My life also is a fragrance.
Beautiful how everything in nature and life can serve to point us to a deeper truth. If I look at life as a flower, the blossom is just the "end" of so many means. In all of these things for me to be planted, growing, reproducing... it comes down to the means. The soil one is planted in, the amount of sun, rain and nutrients one absorbs. It's all about how much of Him is being pulled into this stalk of my life through roots that are grounded in the soil of His Word. Through leaves that are turned upwards to the light of His glory.
What a priviledge to be "touched" with His pollen each day, flitting into my life via His word, by the words of His beloved children as His Spirit moves within and among us. How amazing that we, these thorny, woody, spindly saplings are His orchard. And He tends us with such love and patient dilligence. Watering, staking, fertilizing, training, grafting, pruning.... all so that we can produce good fruit for His kingdom. His fruit... Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Gentleness, Self Control. And in all circumstances, within, without, out and about... from the nearest to the farthest reaches of His creation to give Him glory and thanks. *This* is my calling.
14 comments:
What pollinating potential we all hold in Christ becoming our mentor!
This reminds me:
"Instead of seeking to serve how about blooming right where we are planted."
Love visiting with you~ have a blessed day ;0)
mmmm....magnolia is a great choice. :)
You are a gifted writer! You are very talented,and thought provoking. Thank you for sharing.
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
I really loved your post about what your calling is...you are a beautiful flower who is lovely and has such a fragrence that anyone who encounters you is drawn to you..either in person or via the web...you are both lovely and beautiful..defently NOT a stinkweed. I think a magnolia is a perfect example. You are a blessing to all you enounter!! Thanks for sharing :) makes me think about my calling :) Have a wonderful day!!!! PS............I forgot to mention last week that I left an award for you...sorry..IF you visit and scroll down to Nov5th it's there waiting for you :)
This is a beautiful analogy. I think that maybe an apple blossom would be a good "life flower".
I do love dandelions, though. They may be a dime a dozen, homely little things, but they are always bright and sunny, they persevere, and they are edible and can also be used to make wine. Is there a lesson to be found in the dandelion? Perhaps it is that we shouldn't overlook those who don't so readily stand out in a crowd but are the faithful, solid believers willing to do whatever is necessary to get the Lord's work done. Perhaps the lesson is to look more closely at people, no matter what their outer appearance and see their inner beauty and potential. Oh, I don't know!:o)
Nailed it. The magnolia's a great example for you... you do wonderful justice to the beautiful bloom. Although the daisy is my favorite flower, I might pick the apple-pear flower... since I don't exactly always remember what I'm supposed to be. :) Once again, this is a train I've been traveling this week too. I'm making some interesting stops...
Jenni, I loved your comments, great insight!
Prairie Chick, you have such a way with words and imagery. I love stopping by your blog and enjoying the refreshing fragrances that fill the air. You are no stink weed!
Leanne
What a wonderful way you have with words. I just love it when you put things in such simple terms that is easy for all to relate with, I don't think your a stinkweed either, but rather something much more graceful. Loving the fragrance coming from your blog today, Brandie
Ah, lovely encouragement abounds here! Thank you for this.
Susan
What a beautiful picture of our lives and what a profound way to look at "calling". I've often thought that my calling changes with the season of my life, but I think you have it right. It is all encompassing - the heart of who we are always, in every situation.
I am constantly amazed at the patiience of the Master Gardner. By rights, He should have torn me out of the garden many times over - but instead He does whatever is necessary to "grow me well."
I think I'd like to be a little carnation. They are so pretty and so durable. They seem to hang in there for the long haul when the more ornate ones are dying off. They are made of sturdy stuff!
How do you do that? Really, do you just sit down and it flows out of you? Or do you work it over and over. Beautiful words and thoughts. I just hope and pray that somebody along my way is touched and comforted and maybe even changed by whatever flower I am.
I've responded to a few of you offline, but time is short and although I would love to come and visit and email you all, my love and thanks here in my humble abode will have to suffice for now.
PS Dawn, was that a quote from somewhere? I'm not sure I've heard it but I've been pondering it today!
Linda and linda =), you are both too sweet, I'm totally embarassed but blessed. I have quite a few awards to acknowledge and pass on, which makes me even more embarassed, but I will suck it up and make my next post one of gratitude for people like you who bless and encourage me with your love and kindness!
Kansas Jenni, I absolutely LOVED your comment. I didn't mean to snub my nose at dandelions, or carnations or anything like that... ;-) I *really* loved your thoughts today.
Chris dear friend, you are too kind. Not for a moment do I feel I can claim the flower as anything more than aspiration, but your words bless. And apple pear is freshly, eclectically, wonderfully you, I love it.
as to how I do this... I don't "do" really... I just am. My brain runs at 90 mph most of the time, and my fingers can do 80wpm so they are pretty fairly matched. =)
Love you gals.
God often uses elements of creation to teach us and to show us. It's amazing how much God loves us...enough to put up with us and show us a thing or two in the process. Blessings!
Gosh what a beautifully written post! You are a wonderful writer!
Such encouragment here!
Post a Comment