Monday, November 3, 2008

Politics Jesus-Style


I'm learning what it means to live and let live, and also to love above all. To be fully convinced in my own mind and walk in obedience to my own convictions without having to convince secondary parties of the whys or wherefores or worse yet, judge their obedience to theirs. So it was great timing to read the "Kingdom" chapter in "The Jesus I Never Knew" by Yancey. To examine the type of Kingdom Christ actually proffered on one hand, and the type of response He had to the politics and polemics of His day on the other. In my own experiences of the past week, in little glimpses into the american political arena and certain exchanges between His followers that find themselves at odds of conviction.... the following words were like apples of gold, whetting my tastebuds, causing an emotional salivation of sorts, for more of His kind of politics which was (is) really so contrary to the polemics of our modern era.

"(Jesus) became known as a friend of tax collectors, a group clearly identified with the foreign exploiters, not the exploited. Though he denounced the religious system of his day, he treated a leader like Nicodemus with respect, and though he spoke against the dangers of money and of violence, he showed love and compassion toward a rich young ruler and a Roman centurion.

In short, Jesus honored the dignity of people, whether he agreed with them or not. He would not found his kingdom on the basis of race or class (
or political leaning or denominational bent) or other such divisions. Anyone, even a half-breed with five husbands or a thief dying on a cross, was welcome to join his kingdom. The person was more important than any category or label.

I feel convicted by this quality of Jesus every time I get involved in a cause I strongly believe in. How easy it is to join the politics of polarization, to find myself shouting across the picket lines at the "enemy" on the other side. How hard it is to remember that the kingdom of God calls me to love the woman who has just emerged from the abortion clinic (and yes, even her doctor), the promiscuous person who is dying of AIDS, the wealthy landowner who is exploiting God's creation. If I cannot show love to such people, then I must question whether I have truly understood Jesus' gospel.

A political movement by nature draws lines, makes distinctions, pronounces judgment, in contrast, Jesus' love cuts across lines, transcends distinctions, and dispenses grace. Regardless of the merits of a given issue- whether a pro-life lobby out of the Right or a peace and justice lobby out of the Left- political movements risk pulling onto themselves the mantle of power that smothers love. From Jesus I learn that, whatever activism I get involved in, it must not drive out love and humility, or otherwise I betray the kingdom of heaven."


From "The Jesus I Never Knew"; Philip Yancey.

13 comments:

Aimee said...

Chill bumps and Amen and Amen and Amen!! That's the perspective I seek to live daily...just this morning my verse for today was Ephesians 5:1!

hannahwiitala said...

Amen Sister! I couldn't agree more!
I am very excited for the election tomorrow. If Obama wins he will be giving his acceptance speech in Grant Park in Chicago, so I will be able to be there and be a part of history!
I know first hand though, living in community where many people have very opposing polical views how essential it is to treat one another with respect whether you agree or not because that is showing the love of Christ. Besides I don't think any of us wants to be living with a bunch of clones of ourselves! That would be pretty boring!

Jenni said...

Wow. Great words. I wish more people thought that way.

Leanne said...

I am very conservative in politics, but that doesn't mean I need to lash out at others who are liberal. Just because we don't agree doesn't give me the right to be disrespectful or unloving. God will work through whoever gets elected, it is my job to vote my MORALS...then pray for our new leader ( whoever he is.) Thanks for the blog today, we all can use a reminder to love like Jesus did. Leanne

grammy said...

Very good thoughts to usher us into tomorrow. Thanks

Tricia said...

What good words to hear... and what a timely reminder, we need to have love for all others, regardless, and we need to always have a spirit of humility... things we can only do through the power of Christ...

Anonymous said...

amen and amen...very timely...His kindgom is not of this world...but here we are!

Mac an Rothaich said...

Amen. Been a big lesson in my life in the last year or so... people are more important then issues. Praise the Lord that we are given his Spirit and are therefore not limited by issues and their lines!

Joy said...

Amen...differences is what makes the world go round. Differences is what makes us more diverse and better ppl. We can't all be the same and who would want to be?? Not me that is for sure!
I know who holds tomorrow no matter who gets voted in. I know that no matter what happens Christ will never forsake me.
Love is above all the greatest commandment and sometimes it is hard for us to see love because we are blinded by our own hatred. The big thing I think of by this is just because we are different and have different political views with others doesn't mean we are judging them or do not love them just means we are different. Different doesn't have to be an ugly word..only when WE allow it to be.
Joy

Homemaker's Heart said...

How true! I have felt the Lord asking me to do the same. Especially in regards to my youngest step-daughter. She has been very short and rude to me over the past year, and doesn't keep her word to her dad. This outrages me. But in the quietness of prayer, the Lord speaks. His words remind me to "love her as I love you." So, He knows more than I do about what's REALLY going on with her and I need to obey. For how can I ask Him to love me if I can't extend the same love to someone who offends me?

God's peace,
Dee

DayPhoto said...

Amen!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Shosannah said...

What timely words. I felt like applauding after reading them ;0)
Jesus's message is one of love above all else. Love is the only adjenda we need!
Thankyou for the reminder that we must not lose sight of this.
Blessings and Peace ~

Jenni said...

Great thoughts. Very convicting.