Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Grace in Winter.

IMG_2289

Grace in winter
is warm rays of sunlight
dancing across red barn boards
and hardwood floors
and making pools of warmth
in fields of encrusted snow.

Grace in winter
is a dazzling cobalt sky
cloaking a world
of icy white
creating a spectacle
of warmth and light
in a season so gray and bitter.

Grace in winter
is the soft embrace of a favorite scarf
protecting cheeks from biting cold
making one feel safe and bold
even as north winds howl.

Grace in winter
is the refuge of a big barn wall
concealing one from the frigid blast
reminding one not to stray far past
the shelter therein proffered.

Grace in winter
is the melting of hardened icicles
fluid drops slipping
silent and tender
from crystal fingers
cold and slender.

Without winter
there should be no need of grace
Without grace
all would be winter
Grace does not remove me from winter
or abolish winter from my life
Grace sees me through.

Grace is…
sunlight
and color
warmth
and protection
beauty
and blessing
in a world that is cold
and gray
stark
and buried
crying out for redemption.

Redemption has come
and even now continues to do its work
sanctifying unto itself a new creation
that one day soon
will break forth in glorious bloom.

A creation that has been steeped in grace
will break forth in grace
and will result
in a world
where there is nothing but…
Grace.

thoughts inspired by L.L’s challenge at Seedlings in Stone.

16 comments:

grammy said...

Very beautiful. It is almost hot today here. Well 75 seems hot when the grass is all brown and there are no leaves (o:

Amy Ellen said...

That was lovely. A wonderful smile in my kinda down day.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts
Hugs
Amy

Anonymous said...

What an uplifting post today - thank you!

Linda said...

Absolutely beautiful. You create great art with your words.
You're such a blessing.

Berry Girl said...

I love the icicles. nicely done.

Anonymous said...

amen and amen...

thank you for sharing!

RissaRoo said...

What a great poem! I love your imagery...the water dripping from the icicles, the sun pooling on the hardwood and making sparks on the snow. And so true, how grace does not remove winter but gets you through it, even makes it beautiful. I loved the little bit of rhyme that slipped in, just perfectly. And I loved your photo, too!

The McMurrays said...

PC, I *LOVE* you!
I just got your comment on our blog and I laughed and cried at the same time...LOL. (Rough week, pregnancy, hormones; who knows?!;) So sweet and uplifting to my spirit...and funny that I think similar thoughts when I watch families like yours and others in our church!! (Hope I've got one *that* age!) I wanted to email you but cannot for the life of me find your addy. Sorry to leave this comment where it doesn't quite "fit". I also wanted to say that I so appreciate the "homeschooling live" segments you've started in the Schoolroom - whatta blessing! You are such an encouragement!!!
Hugs, Savannah

NanaNor's said...

So wonderful and timely. I didn't realize how tiring the color brown would get-and I'm so looking forward to spring but as you said if we didn't have winters, we would appreciate all that follows.
Blessings to you this day.
Noreen

Laura said...

Grace in winter...is curling up with these words, feeling them soar from page into heart.

Beautiful!

Katrina said...

Oh this is so wonderfully true! I've been missing you, too, and I'm so glad to be back and able to read your blog again... your words are beautiful and so uplifting... I can so totally relate to the pictures you've described here.

Unknown said...

"Grace sees me through" - every day in every way. Wonderful words and photos. In Jesus,

DayPhoto said...

Someday, when you are the mother of grown children, please, please, please, put all your writing in a book, and let me buy one. Don't forget your beautiful photos as part of the book. Then I will put it on my coffeetable for everyone to read.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Robin said...

After reading your poem I have tears in my eyes...absolutely beautiful...grace how amazing it truly is.

Tricia said...

Redemption and grace... what amazing things they are... and I am ever so thankful for their work in my life and in the lives of those around me!

Blessings!

L.L. Barkat said...

Great sounds and images in this part...

dancing across red barn boards
and hardwood floors


Oh, I can just see it. And smell the old hay. And see the dust dancing in the sunbeams.

Glad you offered this to us...