Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Take Me Back

Been going through old pictures. Ah, reminiscing. Youth, young love, marriage, beginnings. How the years fly. So I thought I would share, but I also want to hear tidbits of *your* story. Whatever you are willing to share; how you met, fell in love, got engaged, were married, honeymooned (just *where* you honeymooned would be sufficient =) ). You get the idea. If you have a blog and want to post pics and back link to this post that would be dandy, if not, well, maybe you should *get* a blog (hint hint :P) but no, seriously, just post a comment and let's get to know each other a wee bit better.

I met Prairie Guy back in 1992 when I joined this OM ship; the Logos II.

We each spent 2 years participating in a discipleship training program that took us sailing around South and Central America, the Caribbean and Europe.

and hung out in the same crowd during our leisure time (and yes that *is* me in that glorious water... dreamy, huh? It wasn't all sand and sunshine, I spent working hours cleaning public washrooms, and did you *see* that last picture of us sailing? Small ship, big waves, um, I think you get what I'm driving at.)

After one year, Prairie Guy's two years were up and he went home to Italy and we kept in vague contact, he was pursuing dreams of becoming a church planter and I was dutifully praying for God to open ministry doors and bring him a suitable wife (an italian one that is). When all of a sudden one day I get a letter that enthusiastically informed me he had found the woman he wanted to marry. Imagine my surprise to find out it was.... me. Um. Not exactly what I had been anticipating. But after the shock wore off, there was no doubt in my mind there was no man on earth I would rather spend the rest of my life with.

I spent another year on the ship, and then in 1994 we were engaged in Italy where I made a stopover on my way home. This is the picture from our engagement announcement, real waterfall, cool huh?

We were married in 1996, in the south of Italy (I spent '95 working for the Billy Graham Crusade and there was no way I could manage an office and plan a wedding at the same time, so the wedding waited til' the crusade was done.) It was the wedding of my dreams at an Italian Villa in the rolling hills above the Adriatic in the end of May when the roses were in full bloom. It was perfect in every way.











We honeymooned in Sardegna (the italian version of Corsica) and it is still my all time favourite location on earth.



9 comments:

Mac an Rothaich said...

Since it is 8 years today for my man and I I feel like I should comment:)

My fav part of my story is I can tell my girls I only had one boy friend and he was Mr Right so I kept him. I fell hoplessly silly for him at first sight and it took six months and a very helpful older brother to get him to notice me. My brother created a folk band that included both of us so we had to hang out and eventually (at a Bob Dylan concert) we started our relationship.

Dawn said...

I love your story. I had never heard of OM ships before and did a search to find out what that was. What an awesome ministry. Your story left me wondering about how you ended up in Canada?

My story...

My now mother-in-law and I became friends and she set me up on a blind date with her son. It was love at first sight, quite literally! We'll be married 18 years in August and I'll blog the entire story for our anniversary.

Blessings! Dawn

The McMurrays said...

Hi Prarie Chick!,

Thanks so much for the sweet comment you left on our blog! You've forced me to de-lurk =) haha.

We love your blog, the thoughtful posts, and your lovely family! We are thrilled to come across folks that are a bit further down the road that we feel God has called us to in living for Him - lots o' littles, homeschooling, hobby farming and other deliberately simple things for the glory of God. Prayerfully, we'll be leaving the big city life soon for our own little piece of heaven on earth!

(Sorry to ramble in your love story post! ;) I suppose I can speak to that too...

My hubby and I met at church in NC where he was the music leader (love at first guitar strum, I suppose) and were engaged at sunset on the beach! We were married shortly thereafter at a little B&B on the MD coast (3 1/2 years ago), then honeymooned in the Dominican Republic (do you sense there is a beach theme here...?).

It is a pleasure to share our (young!) love story, and, to make new bloggy friends!
Gratefully, Savannah

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

Now I know for sure you have seen many beautiful sites...quite blessed you are!

You know my story and it's not how most "christians start" but I wasn't then and am now and know the difference it's made in this marriage!
For a re-cap your welcomed to visit but it's so not neccesary
http://pshelovesyou.blogspot.com/2008/03/looking-for-love-in-all-wrong-places.html

Unknown said...

Congrats on 8 years Becky! You guys are such a great fit, God bless ya!


Princess Dawn, that is so neat about your mil! I have good friends who have the same story, very nice to have that kind of closeness with your mil, mine was so sad that dh was marrying me, because I was from so far away of course and *he* chose to live in Canada (hey, I was all for staying in Italy), but she loves me now ;-)

Savannah, welcome oh lurker :D so happy to have you here! I'm always so excited when I see young couples excited about raising a family and living simply! I *love* the beach, and your story is picture perfect in my mind's eye! Prairie Guy and I were Santo Domingo for a month and LOVED it. I'll have to go dig out those pics!

Dawn, I remember your story well, who can forget the story of a man in wranglers and ropers ;D

Possum Princess said...

What beautiful photos - to match a beautiful story.

The first time my husband (to be) asked me to go out with him I said, "What do you mean?" He has never let me forget that even though it was over 16 years ago!

Chris said...

heh heh... our first date was going to Cuthroat Island... a movie we walked out of within 5 minutes. We ended up playing hide and seek in Canadian Tire... ah, youth!

We were engaged at our favorite lake, way out in the bush on our own. Hiking in a foot and a half of snow, in -20 weather in November. On the hike back to the car, I still remember wiggling my hand inside the giant mitten to feel the ring, stopping to take it off and admire it.

We passed 11 years in April. PTL!

Lauren said...

Gorgeous pics!

Unknown said...

Possum's mom (I'm assuming ;) that is classic. Love it.

Chris, that is *so* you and hubby, and I remember fingering my ring and not being able to tear my eyes away from it for days. Such sweet bliss. Gotta remember that on days when I feel like strangling the love of my life... ;)