My long two-pointed ladder's sticking through a tree
Toward heaven still,
And there's a barrel that I didn't fill Beside it,
and there may be two or three Apples I didn't pick upon some bough.
But I am done with apple-picking now.
Essence of winter sleep is on the night,
The scent of apples: I am drowsing off.
I cannot rub the strangeness from my sightI got from looking through a pane of glass
I skimmed this morning from the drinking trough And held against the world of hoary grass.
It melted, and I let it fall and break. But I was well Upon my way to sleep before it fell,
And I could tell What form my dreaming was about to take.

Magnified apples appear and disappear, Stem end and blossom end,
And every fleck of russet showing clear.
My instep arch not only keeps the ache, It keeps the pressure of a ladder-round.
I feel the ladder sway as the boughs bend. And I keep hearing from the cellar bin The rumbling sound Of load on load of apples coming in.
For I have had too much Of apple-picking: I am overtired Of the great harvest I myself desired.
There were ten thousand thousand fruit to touch, Cherish in hand, lift down, and not let fall. 
For all That struck the earth, No matter if not bruised or spiked with stubble, Went surely to the cider-apple heap As of no worth.
One can see what will trouble This sleep of mine, whatever sleep it is.
Were he not gone, The woodchuck could say whether it's like his Long sleep, as I describe its coming on,
Or just some human sleep.
Robert Frost
Sleep, sweet sleep, envelope me now...
13 comments:
I just love your pictures. I'm always amazed at what you accomplish. Put my wayward days to shame!
I bet living at your house is like little house on the prairie. What you see and do everyday is spectacular! Thanks for sharing your life with us.
Krista
this poem is a perfect pairing to the hum of your day! Hope you need to find some rest this morning for a bit so we can hang out.
had to go back and add the missing stanza about the pane of glass this morning that I had ommitted last night =D Plus change my ladder picture because the morning light in the orchard this morning was just so much nicer than late afternoon shadow.
Gorgeous photos! We made some applesauce this week and I love the smell of those apples on the stove.
Tell me more about the scrapping retreat...I am teaching a class in November though...
so wonderful. i love the poem :) love the photos even more.
I was going to say "love the pics", but it was aready said. How about, my fav(besides the boy..I will always pic a kid pic) might be the gate, cause I have seen so many like that and it is a good memory. You inspire me to be creative with my camera. I do come everyday to look at your pictures(o:
I LOVE your pictures!!!! love the poem & looks like you were blessed with a bounty of apples. ;) Thanks for sharing your beautiful peaceful pictures along with a fantastic poem by an amazing poet. ;)
Love Frost... and your pics were perfectly paired with the poem!!!
Christine, if you only saw all I *don't* accomplish... I don't like to dwell on *that* aspect of my days =D and I've seen your to do lists girlfriend. You accomplish a LOT more than I do.
Krista, well, this is definitely a little house, and it's definitely on the prairies ;) and yes, I see it as spectacular, His spectacle of life, and work, and seasons and nature. Thanks *you* for sharing in my life as our words cross paths across the miles.
Grammy, I'm inspired by other's pictures and am honored by your comment. Photography is a form of art which is itself a form of worship, isn't it? To take joy in beauty that was birthed in Heaven and created for our pleasure and His glory.
Gorgeous words. Gorgeous visuals. Together, spectacular. Nicely done!
phenomenal.
this is a gorgeous blog.
Can I have some to make my husband's favorite apple pie recipe?
Post a Comment