Doing what it takes to raise sons and daughters who walk with God.
Quotes from Chapter One "The Lay of the Land".
1. "According to researchers, between 70-88 percent of christian teens are leaving the church by their second year in college. That's right, modern American Christianity has a failure rate somewhere around eight (almost nine) out of ten when it comes to raising children who continue in the faith. Imagine the alarm if nearly 90 percent of our children couldn't read when they left high school."
2. "While US teens are very religious, their religion is largely ambiguous. This ambiguity is due in large part to the lack of time and attention devoted to spiritual matters compared to other activities."
3. "Our children are falling away because we are asking the church to do what God designed the family to accomplish. Discipleship and multi-generational faithfulness begins and ends at home. At best, the church is to play a supporting role..."
4. "It is as though Christian parents in America have been lulled to sleep..."
5. "Many families have been lulled into what I like to call a full screen view of parenting. We look at the biblical mandate and compare it to societal norms, and there appears to be something missing. We believe that somehow we are depriving our children of experiences that will make them more liked, more respected, more normal. Hence we treade in the biclical standard for a cultural norm that hovers just below mediocrity. All of a sudden our desires for our children change. Now all we want for our kids is what "every other parent" wants for their children."
6. "Our primary goal for our children is that they walk with the Lord."
7. "Instead of striving for godliness and multigenerational faithfulness, many Christians have settled for just getting by."
8. "What would you say to a group of believers about to enter a land occupied by pagans? What would you say to the faithful if you knew their faith would be challenged at every turn? What would you say to a group of people upon whom the burden of carrying and representing the covenant message of God rested? Moses knew exactly what to say. He gave them God's word. That word echoes through the halls of history and still resonates today. You and I desperately need the words of Moses' challenge. You and I are living in an age and in a culture that is tearing at the very fabric of the christian community. "
9. "I'm not traying to say that it is necessarily wrong for children to play organized sports. My point is simply this: Being a member of an organized traveling baseball squad at age ten doesn't add a dingle day to one's life. In fact, many of these activities get in the way of much loftier pursuits. People turned boys into men and girls into women for most of recorded history without dragging them around town with their tongues hanging out in an effort to keep up with their overachieving, undereducated, theologically illiterate peers as they try to win trophies that will eventually gather dust in a basement somewhere."
Wow. The guy doesn't hold back any punches does he? Comments??? I have a few, I'll share them later.
9 comments:
I have been reading this book, I think I have one chapter left... it is very convicting and very shocking in some respects...
It gave me a strengthened resolve to daily strive to raise my boys to know God and His Word, no one else is going to do that for them... not even the church... sometimes I pick my boys up from SS and ask what their lesson was on and they tell me they did not have one... that just "ticks" me off! (This doesn't happen as much now as it did a couple of years ago, and who knows if they were even paying attention at the time, but...)
It also made me realize how truly separate we are in this world... so many Christians do not live as if they were Christians, there are many things we do not participate in or expose our kids to because it is not honoring to God...
We have a huge job as parents, and how thankful I am that through His grace and His provisions we will be able to get that job done! We will be homeschooling starting next year... this is my year to do lots of research and try to get a plan in place, I am terrified and excited!!
Can't wait to hear what your thoughts are on this book...
Blessings!
So glad you're discussing this book!
This book solidified the vision and direction that my husband felt led to, though with little support from fellow believers, for our family (and I thought he was just really odd! LOL). Tough words, but straight from God. Voddie has a gift of speaking the truth in love to a people (that would be us!) that NEED to hear it. The church (and state) are not to be the sole teachers of our children - WE are!
We found his thoughts sound, biblical, and best of all, encouraging to parents seeking to raise sons and daughters for God. He's right though, (Ch.9), it's a lonely road. :) Many in our church, while unable to completely deny the message, were rather hostile towards it. I think the truth hurts sometimes, but it’s no less the truth. We’re losing our children to the world, and something needs to change. Enter: parents (!), God’s original intended agent of passing on His truths!
From what I see of your family, I think you all live this vision out with amazing clarity, passion and commitment. It is inspiring and so helpful to us to have a "peek in" on the day to day out workings of a humble life lived for God's glory - through homeschooling, and simple (not easy!) obedience to His commands to teach our own children…what a beautiful picture it is indeed.
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this powerful (yet controversial!) book.
I think that this is not only true in our parenting but in our own personal lives as Christians. I wonder if we could just catch a glimpse of the Holiness of God how differently we would live.
Great post and I fully agree with it, in fact going to tell my daughters to read it concerning their kids...but they homeschool and the kids play at home with eachother. Thanks for sharing this.
Noreen
Love the book...
My husband and I led a couples class last spring using this book. Will look forward to more discussion.
But I highly recommend it.
Certainly is very thought provoking :)
Blessings,
DeeDee
hmmmmmm....
I think both BGuy and I, in the back of our minds, have this niggling notion that "mainstream" is not "best". Partly why we are putting off registering our BBoy in hockey and instead putting him into skating - it's just more "family friendly" for us...so I guess we are beginning to make decisions based on the welfare of our entire family...
but I can't entirely dismiss these sports things yet either...
well, you should all know by now that I am loooooooooong winded. My comments on this chapter were *so* not going to fit into a comment format. So they got their own whole new post. It's encouraging to me to hear and see you all devoting yourself to raising up a faithful generation. Be encouraged!
I read this book about 6 months ago and it is still making an impact on my life. Voddie is a wonderful speaker, writer, follower of Christ, and I could go on and on. I download his "lessons" and they are always convicting. His points are good and I encourage everyone to read his book.
Mitzi,
I am curious about this from your comment: "I download his "lessons" and they are always convicting" - is that online somewhere? We'd be curious to see! I looked on his website but didn't see that. But for all, fyi, a google search of his name and book title brought some very interesting reads (opinions) about what he has to say in his book!
Anyway, Mitzi, would you mind sharing where you found those? Thanks!
Post a Comment