Thursday, September 18, 2008

My Notes; Family Driven Faith, Chapter One.

1. "According to researchers, between 70-88 percent of christian teens are leaving the church by their second year in college. That's right, modern American Christianity has a failure rate somewhere around eight (almost nine) out of ten when it comes to raising children who continue in the faith. Imagine the alarm if nearly 90 percent of our children couldn't read when they left high school."

Okay, first underlined paragraph out of the starting gate and I am already pulling back on the reins. We shall see how he expands on this later but my immediate thought was, Hold up there buddy. Leaving off church attendance does not automatically equate to abandoning ones faith. I do believe that if someone is grounded and mature in their faith they will not abandon the church, no matter how disillusioned or hurt or ticked off they get with it, but for those who *do* abandon church, or have temporarily abandoned it, it most certainly can not be said they have abandoned the faith. It is an indicator of spiritual gout for sure, but not spiritual death. I think the church has a lot of growing up to do, and Satan and his demons named Disillusionment, Discouragement and Critical Spirit, are all having a heyday in the lives of many believers when it comes to thier attitude toward church. Ultimately, the church is His body, so abandoning it, is in a sense cutting yourself off from His fullness. But I wouldn't go so far as to equate church attendance with faith.

Now that, in and of itself is a BIG rabbit trail. And I don't want to draw the focus away from the premise of the book that I agree with wholeheartedly. Spiritual discipleship is the responsibility of the parents, and as our kids are torn between so many different people of influence, parents, teachers, church leadership, peers, alot seems to be falling through the cracks. If we are not teaching our kids that the church screws up because it is made up of screwed up humans... well, of course they are going to get disillusioned and discouraged and fed up when they grow up and have to face it head on. If we are not teaching them the principles of commitment, patience, unconditional love, intercession in regards to their role in the body of Christ, we are doing them the biggest disservice imaginable. I'm afraid far too many families think they are discipling their kids by driving them to sunday school and kids club, and youth group once a week. By praying at meals, or before bed and by talking to them about communion and baptism when the time seems ripe. Those are a couple specks of sand in the ocean of discipleship.

2. "While US teens are very religious, their religion is largely ambiguous. This ambiguity is due in large part to the lack of time and attention devoted to spiritual matters compared to other activities."

This concerns me. Apathy, ambiguity, parents more passionate about their kids accomplishments in minor league or on their report card than they are with their spiritual stature and growth. Families find time to be involved in so many things, but how much time is devoted to worship, bible reading, discussion, prayer... true worshipful, intercessory prayer? How many adults even take time to have spiritual heart to hearts with their spouses, never mind parents with their kids? If there is not enough time for this, our priorities are MESSED UP.

3. "Our children are falling away because we are asking the church to do what God designed the family to accomplish. Discipleship and multi-generational faithfulness begins and ends at home. At best, the church is to play a supporting role..."

Okay, I totally agree with this, but there is another element to the equation that I feel got the big skiparoo. It is the job of the Church to exhort, prepare and equip parents to do this. This just is not happening. At least not in the majority of churches that we have been part of. We throw around the terms discipleship and commission, yes. But they make it as far as the glass on the front doors and seem to fall flat. We are not being told *how* to disciple our kids. We are not being exhorted and encouraged and trained. For those of us who are motivated and driven, we find our motivation within ourselves and our help from other sources... sometimes. But what of those who are *not* driven, or who don't even realize that this is something they should be considering? THE CHURCH should be giving us a gentle nudge, a helpful tug on the bootstraps or a hearty kick in the arse...

4. "It is as though Christian parents in America have been lulled to sleep..."

Ahem. I know what you do, that you are not hot or cold. I wish that you were hot or cold! But because you are lukewarm-neither hot, nor cold- I am ready to spit you out of my mouth. You say, I am rich, and I have become wealthy and do not need anything. But you do not know that you are really miserable, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked.... I correct and punish those whom I love, so be eager to do right, and change your hearts and lives. excerpts from Revelation 3:15-19 Nuff said.

5. "Many families have been lulled into what I like to call a full screen view of parenting. We look at the biblical mandate and compare it to societal norms, and there appears to be something missing. We believe that somehow we are depriving our children of experiences that will make them more liked, more respected, more normal. Hence we treade in the biclical standard for a cultural norm that hovers just below mediocrity. All of a sudden our desires for our children change. Now all we want for our kids is what "every other parent" wants for their children."

Oh am I feeling this one. Its a constant battle for us to not want our kids to be in the status quo. To just experience life as every other child experiences it. What are they missing from the social hum of public school, the cameraderie in the playground or hallway. The team spirit of organized sport. The truth... nothing. How can nothing seem like so much something?

6. "Our primary goal for our children is that they walk with the Lord."

Is it? Is it really? Theoretically speaking, yes. Ideally, yes. Personally, I can say YES, it is for us, but I can't help but wonder if it *really* is for the majority of christian parents out there. This is mind boggling to me, you would think there would be no doubt that this would be the number one most important goal for every christian parent, but the way we (as a culture) spend our time and the way we *waste* our time, seems to show our priorities lay elsewhere.

7. "Instead of striving for godliness and multigenerational faithfulness, many Christians have settled for just getting by."

This one hit home. I have spent years and years just struggling to "get by". Life's a tough row to hoe. Sometimes it's exhausting just trying to keep your head above the proverbial waters. Satan is a powerful adversary. He ties us up and weighs us down and it's any wonder we can even stay on the straight and narrow ourselves never mind help usher others along. But we need to get over it. We need to overcome, we need to mature enough to be a light in the darkness, shining the way, rather than the fumbling, bumbling blind leading the blind.

8. "What would you say to a group of believers about to enter a land occupied by pagans? What would you say to the faithful if you knew their faith would be challenged at every turn? What would you say to a group of people upon whom the burden of carrying and representing the covenant message of God rested? Moses knew exactly what to say. He gave them God's word. That word echoes through the halls of history and still resonates today. You and I desperately need the words of Moses' challenge. You and I are living in an age and in a culture that is tearing at the very fabric of the christian community. "

Amen. Ha-le-lu-jah, Ah-ah-men. I dont understand how we can have more time than ever for pursuing leisure pursuits and pleasure reading, and scrapbooking and blogging (preachin' to the choir here) and less time for Him. Not that we need to spend hours in His word per se, I always find that less is more, if I am consciously trying to absorb and implement the one chapter I am meditating on throughout the day, and experience His presence in the simple and sanctified. But even getting in that one chapter... how many days do I let slip by and tell myself "Oh, I'll catch up tomorrow." And yet, I don't play catch up with other things. I mean, I don't miss a meal now do I? Well, why is my spiritual food any less of a priority than my physical?

9. "I'm not trying to say that it is necessarily wrong for children to play organized sports. My point is simply this: Being a member of an organized traveling baseball squad at age ten doesn't add a dingle day to one's life. In fact, many of these activities get in the way of much loftier pursuits. People turned boys into men and girls into women for most of recorded history without dragging them around town with their tongues hanging out in an effort to keep up with their overachieving, undereducated, theologically illiterate peers as they try to win trophies that will eventually gather dust in a basement somewhere."

Again, ha-le-lu-jah ah-ah-men. Sung to the tune of the good ole hymn. I *loved* his response to "well how are your kids going to learn sportsmanship, and teamwork, and competition?" How did George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin learn these things? Preach it brother. One of my biggest peeves of ignorant thought s the assumption that just because people are (disputedly) learning certain character qualities in a given location (ie public school or little league) or set of circumstances does not equate to them not being able to learn them in a DIFFERENT location or set of circumstances (ie. at home with siblings and friends or in more casual sports opportunities).

I can see why this book is controversial. I find it interesting that the church is one of the last "groups" to accept the message that our kids are falling through the cracks. It's widely accepted in secular circles and people are slowing down and claiming back their lives and relationships. (next book on my reading list is the Canadian; Hold on to Your Kids, Why Parents Need to Matter More than Peers. I think it's a message we need to hear, we need to weigh, and we need to attend to. Looking forward to some much needed encouragement and fresh fuel for our parenting fire.

14 comments:

... said...

Hello,
I found your quotes and comments very thought provoking. I live in another country, so the whole debate homeschooling vs. public school or organized sports vs. play at home doesn't exist. Whatever path you choose regarding these issues doesn't change the simple fact that you can't give children what you don't have yourself. If your own life is marked by grace and love that's what your children will see and model (whether they go to school or not, whether their parents both work or both stay at home - those issues are totally irrelevent). Maybe certain activities help create a context where these qualities can develop (hopefully being in Church or being with our family), but most of the time they are transmitted in unexpected situations where our faith is lived out in a practical way.
We need to stop blaming outside sources (school, church, sports...) and look inside our own heart.

Leanne said...

Loved your comments and agree completely.

Here is my question. How do we lead our children into a deeper relatioship with the Lord? I feel like we are just scratching the surface. I honestly don't know what else to do. We read Bible stories, the Bible, memorize a simple verse each week, pray at meals, bedtime and sometimes in between, talk about things of God when I feel led... but it doesn't seem like enough. It seems like we devote way more time to just living and such a little part to God. My boys are 6 and almost 2. There is nothing I want more than for them to grow up to be Godly men grounded in the faith. Any suggestions???

... said...

Don't worry! Just live and enjoy life! Nurture your own relationship with God, show your kids how you serve God and serve others, and pray a lot! It will naturally spill out. Then there's the mystery of how God deals with each person and leads them to Him. As a mom I would love to see God hurry up and make my kids spiritual giants, because I'm such a wonderful Christian mom. But it doesn't happen that way...

Unknown said...

Hi Yvonne, welcome to my little corner of the blogosphere!

>>Whatever path you choose regarding these issues doesn't change the simple fact that you can't give children what you don't have yourself.<<

I completely agree. What I have been seeing from my studies in the old testament this past year (following the legacies of all the kings and prophets in their children's lives) though is that the part about it "spilling over" by proxy isn't true. It's not enough to be around a spiritual person, and witness their "spirit". We might say "I want they have." But be unsure of how to achieve it or the reasons why it is even so important.

We are passionate about intentional discipleship from the earliest age. Jesus didn't just *hang out* with the disciples and let them "watch" (although that was inevitably part and parcel of discipleship). No, He continuously taught, led, guided, expounded, on what He was doing, how we should live and WHY.

The same is true for us as parents. It's not enough to believe and live godly lives ourselves. Deuteronomy 6 did not assume that the Israelite children would absorb what they needed for righteousness by proxy. There is serious warning there to INSTRUCT. And instruct with dilligence. When you rise, when you sit down, when you walk along the road....

I think there are ALOT of christian parents in the world who are expecting their kids to find their place in the faith by proxy.

you said; >>We need to stop blaming outside sources (school, church, sports...) and look inside our own heart.<<

You are right. And Voddie would agree. The book is urging parents to care about their children's spiritual formation/discipleship not just as much, but MORE than the grades on their report card, or their seniority on "the team".

I'm not sure what country you are from, but I know in Italy, where we have lived and my husband was born and raised, these questions are just moot points. Yeah, kids play sports, but it isn't life consuming, and the family unit is MUCH tighter knit. Families spend time together not running separate directions. The kids get home from school at 1 pm and dads come home for work for a big lunch and 2 hour break.

It's just SO different there. You need to live here to see how many directions families are pulled and how thin it spreads the fabric of family life. And people for years have thought this was "good". Good for the kids. But studies are showing that good things taken to excess become bad.

Unknown said...

Leanne, what we are trying to do around here is go beyond "devotionals and meal time prayers". And yes, even beyond the little "teachable moments". These are all necessary starting points, and for years and years, that was as far as we got.

In the past year we have been trying to intentionally "practice the presence of God." mostly in our own lives, first of all, but then also transmitting that reality to our kids. What does that mean? It means that instead of thinking "I should really pray about that. And writing it down in a prayer journal to be addressed during "prayer time". I just..... PRAY. right then in the moment that the thought came to my head. Instead of THINKING about a given topic or concern, I work on CONVERSING with God about it. It's recognizing that He is here, becoming intuned to His presence and investing in the relationship.

Instead of looking at concepts abstractly and from a human perspective, I am wrestling to look at things from God's point of view. God, what do *you* think of this?

And in all of this trying to teach our kids to do the same. Just make God a living and present part of the ordinary and the mundane, and every conversation. When we are steeped in the word, the word comes to the surface and spills over in the appropriate moment. So I think the starting place is being in the Word ourselves and being "connected". Then we will be able to guide our kids to making that same connection.

The things that have changed the most in the past year for us are that we pray alot more, shorter prayers, but in any given moment, and we have alot more impromptu discussions about spirituality and the fruits of the spirit.

Desire is the seed from which great trees grow. He blesses those who earnestly seek Him.

Have you read this book Leanne? This "how do I" question is the premise of the book. And we have the same questions so are very excited to read it and get practical advice and encouragement on how to live this journey of discipleship out as a fa,ily.

... said...

Hello! I'm really enjoying this little conversation. I'm in the "empty nest" stage. Two of my kids have left for college, and after years of instructing, nurturing, modelling, living out... what I hope was an authentic faith in Christ, now I'm waiting to see which direction they are going to take on their own. They both "invited Jesus in their heart" as small children, were baptized as teens, active in church and great evangelists in very secular schools. Now they are in Christian colleges in the U.S. and there is absolutely nothing I can do anymore but pray!! That makes me realize even more that the path they take from now on is their own choice and responsibility, and that the relationship they build with Christ is their own and depends on them hearing and answering his calling, and not on my performance as a mother.
As a parent, my greatest desire is to see them follow Christ wholeheartedly, but I hope that I am not being too impatient, and trying to play God's part in leading them to Him.
It's hard to put all this in words, I don't know if this makes any sense!

Jenni said...

You've made some good points here. I have to say something about the first one, though. The Church is the body of Christ, the born again believers. It is not a building. Not attending a church is not abandoning The Church. A church (building) is a convenient and easy place to find other members of The Church, but not the only place.

I've spoken with many Christians (and former Christians) who are fed up with organized religion which many churches seem to represent above pure faith and The Church. I'm not a big fan of organized religion myself, and I understand their view. At one time I would have thought it impossible to find pure, honest worship and fellowship and true faith and teaching at a church (building). I'm learning that that isn't necessarily the case and there are many wonderful believers both inside and outside of traditional churches.

Whether you are a Christian who attends church or one who does not, seek God first in your life. Search his Word and endeavor to live by it. Seek out the fellowship of likeminded believers in the body of Christ and work toward the building up of that body and bringing others to it.

I've really been enjoying your photos and poems, btw. It seems that every time I'm about to comment here someone needs something from me and I'm pulled away. Great blog!

Unknown said...

Makes total sense, and I am really happy to have you here, so nice to have women from all different stages in life, surely you have so much more life experience to offer that I as a younger mom don't!

I totally agree with you that the kids must choose for themselves and that God's spirit will be the one to call and sanctify them. Is it maybe a case of "we'll do our best, God will do the rest?"

We know that He has not placed the responsibility of our children's salvation upon our heads, but mysteriously, hasn't He has called us to partner with Him and be His agents in guiding them into His ways? (Again Deut. 6).

I think from the words you used in your post, you have clearly done that, and it has been your passion and desire, and now, the rest is up to God. Amen. I also believe that God's word does not return unto Him void, and that when children are trained up in the ways they should go, that when they are old, they will not depart from it. Not that they won't take some detours, but that they will be drawn back to the truths that were cemented into the foundations of their lives from the earliest age. Thanks so much for sharing your heart and experience. Sounds like you did all He called you to, all I hope to do, and now are resting in His sovreignty and grace, which is all we can strive for. (((Yvonne)))

Unknown said...

Jenni, I agree, completely. The Church is not a building, but a body. In the back of my head that is what I was driving at in a round about way. Leaving an organized church does not equate to leaving the Body of Christ. I've been there, so fed up with church that I just couldn't swallow another shallow, performance oriented, programmed, impersonal moment of it.

I have friends who don't "do" church anymore. They still ARE the church. But I think the "organized church" needs these people and that the whole painful exercise of learning to live out the fruits in the messiness that is our typical Laodicean North American Church is vital and beneficial to the maturity of us all as spiritual warriors.

always love they way your mind works.

... said...

Thank you for your kind comments, Prairie Chick! My prayers are with you as you walk along your kids... By the way, I live in France, and one of my colleagues at work brought me some fresh mushrooms today that he picked for me! (He's a twenty-something mechanical engineer :) So I'll go and fix them with some pasta. My husband went to watch my last son at soccer practice, and they will be coming home soon. Bye!

Leanne said...

Thanks for all the advice. No, I have not read the book, I will have to order it.

Tricia said...

I am enjoying reading your thoughts and all the comments from others, this is just good stuff!

I really am drawn to the idea of teaching my children to practice the presence of God. I think that is something I am going to start doing immediately... I read that book by Brother Lawrence years ago and it had a huge impact on my prayer life, but I have never thought of "teaching" it to my boys.

Thanks also for your sweet and encouraging words you left on my blog... I really needed those today, it has been a hard day, you can read about it over at my blog, I posted just a little while ago...

Blessings!

Tricia said...

Forgot to answer your question... yes Krista and I are really friends, we go to the same church... and you should hear her sing! God has blessed her with a beautiful voice!

Blessings!

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

Prairie Chick!

Your the only one "I know of" from Canada...so please visit soon and you and your dh watch this special message from a really great speaker and friend Pastor Doug!

We may not see eye to eye on everything..but I believe you will find this very relevent to sharing with others..I should hope anyways.

Time for some zzzz's God's blessings!