Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Key to Accomplishment.

Ever wonder how some people manage to do it all, do it well and keep their sanity? Listen very carefully because I'm going to tell you how. Two short and simple four letter words. They Don't. That's right, you heard me. Nobody manages to do it all, and if they are trying to do it all, they aren't doing it well and they won't keep their sanity for long. Martha Stewart? She does not do it all. It has been brought to my attention that she has a tomato intern. Tomato intern? Uh yeah.... Go Martha. My enthusiasm is understated.

So as I layed my protesting body down on my bed for the fourth time today to feed my strapping little four month old who weighs (and probably eats) as much as some one year olds, and looked at the hampers of laundry waiting to be put away, and the hampers of laundry waiting to yet be washed, the stray toys trailing across the floor out my door and into the landing, pictured the kids rooms in utter disarray and started to mentally calculate all the things I *didn't* get done today, my heart sank. But then I started to think. So often when we look at people, and set them up as ideal role models or examples of what we would like to achieve, we don't see the tomato intern that's backing them up. If you look at the women in bible times, they didn't do it all. Lots of them had nurse maids feeding their babies (what a load that relieves, not that I'd want to take anyone up on it, just saying is all...). Most of them were not the only wife in the farmhouse if you get my drift. They were not solely responsible for it all.

So girls, if you're feeling like me, or anything close; run yourself a hot bubble bath tonight. Light some candles in the bathroom. turn on some gentle background music to muffle the noises of a busy household. Grab your novel and sink yourself into some well deserved relaxation. Calgon take me away.... Heaven knows, it may not look like I've accomplished much today, but just keeping a smile on my face and gentleness in my voice is a monumental accomplishment in and of itself. I can't do it all. I don't want to do it all. I refuse to be defined by what I am *not* doing, and choose to focus on what I *am* doing.

I'm loving people
I'm rejoicing
I'm at peace
I'm making quality time for my Father, my husband and my kids
I'm producing as much milk as a Jersey cow
I'm cuddling a baby who hungers for touch as much as for milk
I'm processing oodles of fresh produce to feed my family
I'm washing, folding, and putting away a WHOLE lotta laundry
I'm keeping up with my dishes.
I'm sorting through rubbermaid container after rubbermaid container of off season clothing.

That's alot. That's enough. I think the key to accomplishing something is not trying to accomplish everything.

Moms Rock.

17 comments:

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

Thanks...I think so to!

Mac an Rothaich said...

Right on, we are bigger then our to do lists:) Bless you and your babies!

my4blessings said...

You do rock! I'm working hard at the beginning of another schooling year (as if the last schooling year really ended...they're kind of ongoing, aren't they) to listen for gentleness in my voice. So neat that you bring that up here.

For the record, not producing any milk and still looking at piles of work. ;o)

In The Masters Hands said...

I so needed to read this post, yesterday. I feel like such a failure sometimes because of all the stuff I don't get done, I really needed to hear that everyone else don't either. Thank you so much for keeping it real! Brandie

Berry Girl said...

lololol - where do you suppose would one get a Cheerios Intern? I could use one to pick up the random cheerios that seem to track their way around the house from Berry Baby's highchair :)
this was awesome. I was forced to have this moment yesterday when the K teacher arrived *early* and my house was NOWHERE near the state it *should* be in for a guest to be there...had to remind myself that there are 2 (well actually 3) boys who leave their mark on this house, and that it is well lived-in, and that's ok. I'm not a bad person b/c there are piles of "stuff" on almost every available surface (lol)
thanks PC

Joy said...

Thanks! I needed this! IT seems I am NOT getting alot of things done!
You are right we can't do it all and it is time to realize that we aren't supermoms! LOL I feel terrible when I don't get things done that I feel like I should then I feel all this quilt and well thanks I needed this!
Joy

Tricia said...

What a great post, and I can sooo relate! You really spoke to me when you stated that you are "defined" by what you do, not by what you don't do... that is good!

Just today I was overwhelmed and told my boys I wanted to do a little cleaning... and guess what, they said they wanted to help! So, they cleaned the windows in the kitchen, den, and our bedroom (they love to squirt the windex and wipe it) and then they got the dusters and dusted the house! All I had to do was vacuum, it was great! All we had fun doing it together, I just wish I had had my camera, but my hubby took it to work today.

Be Blessed, and enjoy that bubble bath, I may take one during nap time today :)

Aimee said...

good good stuff!! We don't have all those servants and warm bodies helping us out all day...we just need to do what we can and "do the next thing".
Grace abounds!

Dawn said...

Amen and thanks... I really needed this! I've been a little under the weather this week and haven't accomplished even my normal amount of chores. And, as I'm sure you know, the world doesn't stop when mom is not well. So, today I'm feeling better in the physical sense, but not so well as I look at my home and all that DIDN'T happen this week: laundry piles, dishes in the sink, floors that need swept, etc. Your post reminded me that I did accomplish a lot: I rested when my body needed it to heal, I met the basic needs of my children, I was able to care for them and my husband without snapping at them despite the way I was feeling... and the housework, it'll get done.

Blessings!

Della said...

Very encouraging post. Puts into words how I feel most days. I've said it before, it's all about priorities and ordering your day according to them. And also letting yourself be flexible. Thanks so much for your insight!

Mac an Rothaich said...

I had the same kinda day yesterday but didn't feel up to explaining yesterday. I was crying a lot and then I read your post and another pals who also had that kind of day and I felt encouraged:)

Jude said...

I have at times compared myself to many other people at the level of things they do best. So I'd compare my interior design to A's, and my baking to B's, my cleanliness to C's and my kids' behaviour to D's. I'd take the best characteristics of everyone I know and compile it into the ideal, which seems real because I do see those examples. But not one person is good at everything.

Chris said...

I'd definitely appreciate a folding intern, and a library book finder, and a full time sweeper. Great post. Someone once told me that prov.31 is maybe more of a lifetime achievement award, not a "day in the life of..." I remember that when I mess up something or forget it entirely for a while. I guffawed at "not the only wife in the farmhouse" very cute. And true. I thank God for being the only wife in this (non)farmhouse, and all the blessings that abide here.

Unknown said...

I do that too Jude. All the time. And I believe the same thing about the Proverbs 31 woman, Chris. Things she was honored for in a lifetime of service, not one day's. Hope you have a better day today R. Nice to know I am not alone here!

The McMurrays said...

Prairie Chick, you're my hero...thanks for that. :)

Jenni said...

Aw shewt, this was a lovely thing to read today! Thank you for the pep talk; I agree 100%.

And the jersey cow thing? Uh, yeah. Totally know where you're coming from. My own wee babe weighs 17 lbs, so apparently I'm producing some sort of cream.

Unknown said...

About the Jersey cow comment. I should probably expand. I feel like a Jersey cow, but am not "flowing with milk and honey" like I once was. I spend twice as much time in the milking stall cause this Jersey just ain't producing what she once was. Despite that, Prairie Pumpkin turned 4 months on Sunday and weighs a whopping 19 lbs. He's obviously not starving. Any tips on homeopathic milk inducers Jenni? I know I've read about some kind of herbal tea that is supposed to help... anyone?