Thursday, September 18, 2008

Corn Fritters


Jenni asked me if I had a recipe for corn fritters. I didn't, but once she had said corn fritters, I couldn't get the idea of corn fritters out of my head. So after collecting my second to last picking of corn I decided last night was the night. To be perfectly honest, they were good, but quite rich for an evening meal (in our simple opinion). They rocked for breakfast though, re-baked in a 400 degree oven and then sprinkled with icing sugar or maple syrup. I chose the icing sugar, it was a real treat.

I have no idea what they serve this with in the "south". We served it with a light beef orzo stew. I think this kind of recipe will become one of those "once a year traditional meals" that goes along with corn harvest, but can't see us eating it more often than that. Rich, fried things are kind of like that aren't they? You find yourself craving them but then upon getting your fix you are good for another year.

Anyhoo... for those who would like to try it

2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1.5 cup corn (I used raw, fresh
Oil to fry and powdered sugar to sprinkle if serving as a sweet side

sift dry ingredients
beat eggs, add liquids
fold liquid into flour, adding flour to bind if neccessary
Add corn

Drop by tablespoon into hot oil and deep fry for 5 min's or until golden. Serve hot. Can be reheated in the oven (we enjoyed them even more after the second heating, they were somehow less greasy and a little crispier).

3 comments:

Della said...

What wouldn't we serve it with in the south!:) In the deep South, we deepfry everything. My dad always says he thinks you could bread and deep fry cardboard and it would be good. Your recipe sounds more appealing. Thanks for yet another recipe to use up my obscene amount of corn! Love ya, Prairie Chick!

Prairie Chick said...

oh, I think I may have to pass on the deep fried cardboard, but man you have a host of other good (not so good for you, mind you) foods down there!

Joy said...

Yep we deep fry everything here! Even deep fried oreos,snickers, reeces and bananas! Some of which aren't real good but hey its what ever suits your fancy! Although I myself not a real big fan of cooking that way! (too messy)
Anyway I would love your Orzo stew recipe! I bought some Orzo a while back and haven't yet tried it because I really haven't found any recipes that looked worth trying. I am loving your kitchen blog as well!