Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Family Driven Faith, Chapter Two

A God with No Rivals.

Totally dug this quote from Krista's blog and it compliments this chapter so well.

"Think of it this way: Worship is our response to what we value most. That's why worship is that thing we all do. It's what we're all about on any given day. Worship is about saying, 'This person, this thing, this experience (this whatever) is what matters most to me...it's the thing of highest value in my life.' That "thing" might be a relationship. A dream. A position. Status. Something you own. A name. A job. Some kind of pleasure. Whatever name you put on it, this "thing" is what you've concluded in your heart is worth most to you. And whatever is worth most to you is - you guessed it - what you worship." The Air I Breathe by: Louie Giglio

Now, on to Voddie. A lot of punches here. A good spiritual whuppin' I call it. I don't think it's any coincidence that the Lord says he chastises those He loves. Bring it on.

1. While we can all understand the serious nature of an extramarital affair, we often fail to realize that allegiance to God's spiritual rivals is no different.

2. A family without a commitment to the God of the Bible has no hope of stemming the tide of cultural onslaught. If we mix a little biblical truth, a little secular psychology, a little romance novel ideology, and a little eastern mysticism, we will get a deadly mixture of lies... (many christian families) do marriage according to Dr. Phil, raise our children according to Dr. Spock, govern our sex lives according to Dr. Ruth and only run to Dr. Jesus when things have gotten so bad we can't find another doctor to help us.

3. What they didn't realize is that they were teaching Thomas to prioritize baseball over the fourth commandment. They were teaching Thomas that he should honor the Sabbath and keep it holy unless it's baseball season.

4. Christianity was never the center of Thomas's universe. It was always something on the periphery. Church, and more importantly Jesus Christ, always orbited around baseball, the bright, shining star at the center of his universe. Does this mean that every young ballplayer will experience moral compromise? Certainly not; nor am I going to argue that we should abolish all sports. I am simply arguing that anything that causes us to compromise our beliefs can (and probably will) become an idol. Some people will only worship that idol halfheartedly, but some will sacrifice all on it's altar.

5. Thomas's father had never missed one of his son's games. Moreover it was his father who taught him how to throw a curve ball, how to..... (etc), In fact, Thomas's father was the coach of his first T-ball team. However when I asked whether or not he led his son and family in worship his only response was, "I never even thought about it."

6. In other words, this man had spent countless hours and immeasurable amounts of energy teaching his son how to be a ballplayer but hadn't don't a thing to teach him how to be a Christian. When I pressed him on this issue, he said, "I thought the youth pastor was doing a good job of that."

7. When it came to game time, he was not willing to miss (and wore that fact as a badge of honor, but when it came to church, they thought nothing of being absent for weeks and at one point months at a time.

8. It may sound simplistic to say we should acknowledge God as a family during special occasions, but we all need to be reminded of this. How many times have we allowed a (milestone, special day) go by without huddling our family together for a special moment of prayer. WE must take advantage of every opportunity we have to mark special occasions... by acknowledging God.

9. Get your family together and decide how you are going to crush the idols in your life. There may be things you need to get out of your house. More than likely, there are also things you need to get off your schedule.

Feel free to comment....

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope this will become some sort of discussion. I feel the need to discuss. I would love to be reading this book in a book club, or a bible study or something. As it is it's just me and P-Guy... gasping and swallowing, amen-ing and whoah-ing.

I'll start off by saying that Louie Giglio's quote was so simplistically explanatory. This is where I'm at. I want it to be OBVIOUS what is the thing of highest value in my life. I don't want Him to be a note in the margin, or included somewhere in the paragraph that defines me. I want Him to be front and centre, and all that I am and do, and love and desire, to be for His glory.

I love it when Eric Liddell said "When I run, I feel His pleasure." Earthly pursuits in the proper spirit are great gain, He made us to have passions. I want to find the balance in exercising those passions in relationship to Him.

Tricia said...

I am so glad you are reading this book and doing this online discussion! This book has had a huge impact in my life, and I pray in our families...

I used to have family devotions with our boys in the mornings when we had time, but now I make it a priority, even if it puts us late getting somewhere. We read a Bible story, and we each pick someone to pray for and we each pray, sometimes we sing but not as often, I need to be more diligent with that... but the neat thing is, is on the days when I just know we will be late since we did have devotions, we usually are not, it is like God clears that traffic and opens the path for us to get where we need to go!

I do think it begins with the parents, our kids need to see us worshiping, praying, reading our Bible, and turning to and talking to God daily... if it is not modeled and lived out in front of them, they definitely will not see it anywhere else... I want them to see my love for Jesus and be hungry for His love themselves!

Linda said...

I have always struggled with finding just the right balance in my life. I tend to just pour myself into things to the neglect of other important ones. I've had to try to rebalance this blogging on more than one occassion. I go from wondering if it is all right to sit and knit with no real "purpose" - to neglecting my quiet time for days on end with little or no thought at all!
It is so easy to let something become an idol in my life - something that can seem so worthy to begin with.
I ponder this one over and over again. The desire of my heart is that my life would be worship - all of it. I have so far to go.

Unknown said...

Copying this over from my devotional blog (where idolatry keeps popping up as well) and a comment of Berry Girls where she quoted Henri Nouwen. I thought this was spot on and very helpful.

"It seems that in fact we live as if we should give as much of our heart, soul, and mind as possible to our fellow human beings, while trying hard not to forget God...He asks for a single-minded commitment to God and God alone...It is this unconditional and unreserved love for God that leads to the care for our neighbour, not as an activity which distracts us from God or competes with our attention to God, but as an expression of our love for God who reveals Himselfto us as the God of all people. It is in God that we find our neighbours and discover our responsibility to them...only in God does our neighbour become a neighbour rather than an infringement upon our autonomy..."

Unknown said...

Linda, I smiled when I read your comment. I can so relate. I was amazed when I realized that I can pray while I'm doing anything. Even reclining on the hammock is not a waste of time then =D

Kay said...

I found you from PW's blog and am enjoying the mental workout.

Comments, OK... here goes....

You wrote: "they thought nothing of being absent for weeks and at one point months at a time."

We're "guilty" of this, right now. It's just dh & me at home and we work hard on the farm/off-farm-jobs. Gas is higher than ever. And no-one at our church seems to miss us when we don't attend.

So, should I feel guilty about not going every single time the doors are open. I don't and won't. I have a vibrant relationship with my Lord. I pray constantly and read my Bible. My dh & I converse about our spiritual life.

God made Sundays for man, not man for Sundays. If a family can have quality devotions and Christ-centered time at home, I don't see that they have to be in the church building.

Just my .02 worth this evening.

Smiles,
K~

Unknown said...

Hey Kay, welcome and thanks for being bold and jumping in! I love your spunk. I will copy this to your email as well in case you don't see this.

I'm not sure how well this came across from the quotes I shared, but the chapter is about the message we send to our kids and the values we instill in them by the things that are important to us (the things that win the timeslot in our daybooks). It's not about a legalistic church going push, but merely exhorting us to ask ourselves what message our kids are getting when we will bend over backwards to not miss a hockey practice, but don't blink an eye about not going to church for months on end.

Now, about vibrant faith, and family worship and devotions all being the most important, preach it sister! I think you are right on the money. You can miss sunday meetings and not be like the example given in this chapter. The example here is a family who *didn't* have family devotions, who *didn't* discuss spiritual matters, and who were more invested in sports and educational pursuits than in spiritual formation. The result was they raised a son with plenty of passion for football (or whatever sport it was, I forget now) and none for God. KWIM?

Sunday meeting attendance is a tough one for me. I'm wrestling through what I think of the whole "corporate" thing and what that looks like.