Since Wednesday had found us basking in autumn rays reflecting off golden fields; heady with the palette, bouquet and aura of fall....

we were eager to plan an afternoon foray with some of our prairie neighbours. The idea was met with great enthusiasm and so I happily started making a big batch of banana bread this morning for the occasion. The girls decided it was to be a "Banana-Bread-Teddy-Bear-Picnic." Doesn't get much sweeter than that. I had romantic notions of colorful blankets strewn airily over sun drenched fields, laying back to soak up some rays and watch fluffy white clouds waft slowly on by. I was especially enchanted as I drove into town this morning for flour (which by the way I discovered I was short of half way into the banana bread recipe, don't you
hate it when that happens?
Especially when you live 8 miles up a dirt road from town and your oven is already preheated??) to the accompaniment of the Dixie Chicks belting out "wide open spaces" on the radio. The day could have not have been more surreal. That is until the moment arrived to climb into the back of "Aunty Nise's" truck. (Berry Boy thought this; getting to ride in the back of a truck; don't worry B-Girl, I was in the back too; was the be all and end all of "Banana Picnic " ebullition by the way). But suddenly, the sky wasn't so blue anymore. Actually, it was a sickly gray. And the sun was suspiciously lacking. But we were all so sold on the romantic notion of a Teddy Bear Picnic that we just kept a chipper spirit and started driving in the general direction of clearer skies. It wasn't long before a beautiful field stretched out along the road and we stopped to make our way into it, 3 prairie women, 11 prairie kids, 2 picnic blankets, 5 teddy bears, and 1 bag of banana bread.

It was not remotely sunny. It was not remotely warm. It was not remotely romantic. And by the time Berry Girl was pulling up with Berry Baby (we had Berry Boy on loan for the morning) it was time to run for cover. We ran, we squealed, we piled 16 people into 3 vehicles, and when we were all in, we smiled at how the kids still had their banana bread in hand.

We drove the half mile back home and I started heating up a pot of freshly processed apple juice for cider. And by the time I came back out on the porch, THIS was the sight that greeted me.

Do they look cold to you?

I thought not.

So after our cider had been drunk, and our friends had departed for dinner hour in their respective homes, the girls ensured that the Teddy Bears got their Banana Bread Picnic after all.
and I daresay the bears were terribly grateful for the gesture.
13 comments:
What a great post! I love a picnic. We sometimes just eat out on the lawn at lunch. What you just wrote about is the stuff warm memories are made of. Even if it didn't go exactly the way you imagined. We didn't have alot of money when I was growing up, so dad would pile us up in a pickup truck and we'd buy one soda and one candy bar, split it three ways and sit in a quiet cemetary and eat. Those are the things I remember, not the few vacations we took or big deal things that we got a rare chance to do. It is the simple that seems to stick on through the years. Have a blessed day!
too funny :) and for what it's worth, was TOTALLY not concerned about the back of the pickup truck - don't tell anyone, but we've let him ride all the way to town like that (lol) Please don't send the police...or the child protection authorities...
love the teddy bear pictures at the end...it was still a lovely time in spite of rain. Can't beat sitting with friends eating "brownies" and drinking "apple siren" (lol)
What a delightful post and pictures!!! I so want to be your prairie neighbor. Your posts also give me the urge to reread all the Little House on the Prairie or Jeanette Oke books!
It is funny to read your posts and see your pics with reference to fall and the cool weather. It's hard to imagine that weather right now in central Texas - we're still in the 80's and 90's here.
Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog last night. Our area has been spared completely from the effects of hurricane Ike (praise God!!!) - almost no rain and mild winds with gusts only at 25 mph. Our coast has taken a beating, but even that was less than expected despite the devestation of some areas. Please continue to pray for our fellow Texans who are in the midst of the storm and the clean up afterward.
Blessing upon your weekend!
Sounds like you enjoyed your day. I just had to write to tell you my 4 year old grandaughter had a Teddy Bear Picnic at her preschool on Friday. This here Grammy was sleeping late when the door bell rang. Many times(a dead give away it is one of the girlies) I opened the window above (so no one would see my sticky uppie hair) and said "Who's there" This sweet little voice said, "open up grandma. I need my Teddy bear I left at your house." I handed it out to her and she had this funny little laugh at me...bathrobe and funny hair. We have had 2 days of gray wet weather and today is 75 and down right sunny (:
Your posts are awesome and so is your imagination which shows in the photos you take. You wouldn't have had to go to town for flour - I have some!
What a joy to read!! Sounded perfect....fields with colorful blankets..blue skies with white puffy clouds..banana bread & teddys..sounds perfect!!! Too bad it rained. :( I LOVE the teddy pics on the porch...Still dispite getting rained on..sounds like you guys had a good time. :)yupp...I do so hate it when you're half way preparing a recipe and you have something missing...and you have to run to the store..unlike you..the store is close by.....but I would so much rather be where you're at..sounds/looks like the perfect place to live..and you'd be one awesome neighbor!!!
Aw, what a delight to sit down to all these precious comments!
**Della, I *loved* the visual of your Dad with his kids, a candy bar and soda. It's so true that the simple pleasures run deep. (We have the most beautiful little church cemetery just across the field from us and I had half a mind to stop *there* for our picnic yesterday, but we kept going!).
***B-Girl, I'm so glad to have you for a friend so that I don't have to feel like a lone "reckless" momma next to my *other* two meticulously cautious and careful neighbour friends (and you both *know* who you are! and I love you for it, but sometimes feel like a loser mom who forgot the sun screen, or hat, or sunglasses, or all of the above AGAIN, while you guys will inevitably have all of the above and SPARES.)
***Dawn, you just made my day. I LOVED little house on the prairie as a kid. And Jeanette Oke as a teen. Surely they were part of the influences that romanticized the idea of a simple hard working but unhurried country life for me. And I am *so* not happy with you for reminding me that I live in a region that is one of the latest for planting, and earliest for freezing. ARGH.
***Grammy. I just laughed out loud at the adorable story of your grand daughter coming to pick up her Teddy Bear. SO PRECIOUS.
***Anon... depending on who you are, I'm wondering if it would have payed to go to your house for flour LOL! I was guessing Maxine and then I would have had to cross the highway.... but now I'm wondering if this is "Aunty Nise"... (I had to go to town to get gas for the tractor and quad too otherwise I surely would have called one of my many WONDERFUL neighbours for a couple cups of flour. Which I've been known to do... just ask B-Girl.
***Linda, well, no place is perfect, but it's about as perfect as it gets... for me and mine anyway.
Thanks so much for stopping by and giving me the gift of a smile and warmth in my heart from your wonderful comments today!
Oh that is just lovely! I'm sorry your day got rained out. Leave it to children to make the best of it! A little rain never stopped the joy of a child!
I just discovered your blog...I LOVE your banner photo! ;)
Looking forward to reading more here!
a little too late... thanks for the invite... I'll try not to be too glum that we were away... hopefully tomorrow I can post our hiking/picnic pics from the trip to the farm!
I've totally been there with the flour... in fact the store wasn't open when i was in dire need...
So sweet!
I'm wondering how far north you live...here in Oklahoma it is unseasonably cool for September, but we're going to try for a picnic of our own later this week!
What a lovely idea. Hope to have one with my kids and their pals soon. Bravo for doing what you could with the weather as it was:)
Jenni, let's just say we are substantially further north than Oklahoma LOL! I'll email you as I don't like to get too specific in public.
That is just precious! I just love how our children's stuffed animals are real and have personalities and needs all their own! One of mine has a huge stuffed dog named Mousy, and the other has a huge lion named, Lion, and they are real to them, we pray for their boo-boos and all :)
Maybe we will have to take ours on a picnic soon!
Blessings!
Post a Comment